It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU bans broadcast of Iranian TV channels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

EU bans broadcast of Iranian TV channels on Hot Bird

presstv.com

European satellite provider Eutelsat SA says it has stopped the broadcast of several Iranian satellite channels following an order by the European Commission, Press TV reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.broadbandtvnews.com
edit on 15-10-2012 by Vandelay Industries because: Title needed to be clarified.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The EU, a nobel peace prize laureate quietly blocks access of 11 Iranian online news sources to much of its audience, including Europe, North Africa, and the middle east.

This seems like kind of a big deal to me, and I can't find anything in the western news at all. This direct blocking of freedom of information. The fact that this is not being covered over here makes it hard not to be conspiratorial in ones thinking...

Apparently, the US military has also been jamming Iranian news-carrying satellites as well.

presstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Meanwhile they criticize Iran for censorship and suppression of free speech. I love western hypocrisy.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I would hardly describe those channels as anything to do with free speech...

Anyhoo, the channels have repeatedly broke EU broadcasting rules and, sanctions or not, it was only a matter of time before they got themselves switched off. In fact, the EU has resisted US pressure to turn them off since 2005...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandelay Industries

People always say they can never find it in "Western media", as if to prove some sort of cover-up..

Western media coverage....

Mentioned here on the BBC too

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Meanwhile they criticize Iran for censorship and suppression of free speech. I love western hypocrisy.

Meanwhile the West has allowed Iran more air time than Iran has allowed the West in Iran.

Double standard much?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by SilentKoala

I would hardly describe those channels as anything to do with free speech...

Anyhoo, the channels have repeatedly broke EU broadcasting rules and, sanctions or not, it was only a matter of time before they got themselves switched off. In fact, the EU has resisted US pressure to turn them off since 2005...

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. That does make it seem less crazy.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

People always say they can never find it in "Western media", as if to prove some sort of cover-up..

Western media coverage....

Mentioned here on the BBC too

Thanks for finding that! I looked up and down yesterday, and was so surprised I couldn't find it. It is pretty buried though. Nowhere near homepages or even world homepages on cnn etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It’s interesting that Nobel Peace Prize winner (the EU) has made clear its commitment to war with Iran through by closing down 19 of the countries news information services within Europe.

Authorities in Tehran slammed the EU over its gagging of 19 Iranian satellite channels which coincided with the latest round of sanctions, one of the toughest yet. The shutdown is a big attack on freedom of speech, analyst Chris Bamberry told RT. rt.com...

Apparently we Europeans are too stupid to be trusted with biased information, which is why the likes of Fox News, the BBC www.youtube.com..., and of course Euro News will be able to continue broadcasting in the event there is a war with Iran. That way Europeans can be sure to get both sides, of one side of the argument.

The EU is of course nothing like their predecessors Nazi Germany. Who needs a Ministry of Information to process a truth, when you’ve completely closed the foreign information source?
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Meanwhile the West has allowed Iran more air time than Iran has allowed the West in Iran.

Double standard much?

We could do the finger pointing all day, THE POINT IS BOTH SIDES ARE CORRUPT!!!!!!

when will we realize NOBODY in this 'conflict' is innocent. both sides need to be brought down from the inside and major reforms need to be instituted to enable co-operation and limited corruption...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
THE POINT IS BOTH SIDES ARE CORRUPT!!!!!!

Of course they are!

By the way, your cap locks is on.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I guess the EU decided that they can't let any more Iranian leaders reassure any Christians that Jesus will return.

Because that would be even more terrible news to them.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by yourmaker
THE POINT IS BOTH SIDES ARE CORRUPT!!!!!!

Of course they are!

By the way, your cap locks is on.

What if I had held shift to convey my point? For each and every letter.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Well you could have Bold or underlined the words needing emphasizing instead of yelling

edit on 17-10-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
And if Iran started jamming sky news and fox news those who deride the actions of the EU would gleefully cheer!!!!

Yeah what a double standard!!!

Edit to add:

en.wikipedia.org...

In April 2011, a senior official, Ali Agha-Mohammadi announced government plans to launch a "halal internet", which would conform to Islamic values and provide "appropriate" services.[8] Creating such a network, similar to one used by North Korea, would prevent unwanted information from outside of Iran getting into the closed system. Myanmar and Cuba use similar systems.[2

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

What the Iranian authorities give, they can easily take away, as shown by the government's seesawing attitude toward Facebook, the popular social-networking website that it apparently ordered blocked to ordinary Web surfers in recent days.

So what was that agian?

I pass on the manufactured "outrage".

edit on 17-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Sucks.. Good thing we still got the internet... kind of...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
And if Iran started jamming sky news and fox news those who deride the actions of the EU would gleefully cheer!!!!

Yeah what a double standard!!!

I think if that happened they would call it an attack on their communication system and drop a nuke, honestly.

It's impossible for people to not relate to how pissed off these people should be and many of their expressions of this seem rather reserved in my opinion. If they were here they could say so because we wouldn't bomb ourselves. We say what the hell we want and scrutinize what they say with threat of war and death so really, WHO takes away their liberties, who makes them not a democracy the most?

That's why they did it, to keep us from knowing this while paint a completely different image of Iran in your mind.

And like I just said in another post, that image is like Southpark unanimated.

Southpark to me is a perfect example f how dumb the government expects you to be and this is probably why they wanted to show Muhammad years ago and the outrage was everywhere on the news. THOSE FANATICAL CENSORS THAT DEPRIVE YOU OF YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH... just got their channels cut by the EU.

Yeah, government... we're going along with all of this... sure we are.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Sucks.. Good thing we still got the internet... kind of...

No, Iran has already blocked many Western sites.

Oh wait, that wasn't what you're getting at.

Never mind.

edit on 17-10-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The fact that Iran, unlike Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, or any other (enemy) the US has faced since Nazi germany is capable of broadcasting its channels world wide, not only that but Iran has a proxy that used Iranian made drone to fly into Israel undetected for 20 minutes... Nobody should underestimate Iran, Iranians are not Arabs. (and yes i know the Soviet Union was a superpower but I can bet all my money that the SU was in fact zionist and would have never went to war with the US. US+USSR = same guy, but they play enemies, I mean how else would you justify to the world the MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX if there was no boogy man?)

So if the US hits Iran with her mighty state of the art weaponry and carriers, it will destroy Iran; there is no doubt about that, but Iran will drag the US and the rest of the world down with it to the abyss.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, Iran has already blocked many Western sites. Oh wait, that wasn't what you're were getting at. Never mind.

lol Fair point I think I see what your getting at. Iran has gone internet paranoid and are in the process of developing their own.. k)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join