It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birth And Death of the universe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Heres my thoughts of the day...

What IF:

BIG BANG, some 13b years ago. Matter coming to
stars and planets.
Stars dying, forming Black holes. Atleast ONE
huge in every galaxy.

Fast forward:
Billions and trillions of years in the future..
Theres hardly any stars or planets left.
Black Holes ate them all. The last stars
dissapear. Only Black holes left. Gravitaional
forces pull them together. ONE left...

BIG BANG...

Rince and repeat

READ BEFORE POST...
THINK BEFORE POST..
UNDERSTAND BEFORE POST..

Do you have ANY creative to say..
By all means post it...
TROLLS GO AWAY

edit on 2012/10/15 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I guess this is all speculation but it would be cool if it was some kind of endless cycle and nearing this end this huge black hole breaks down everything it consumes into individual atoms and spews out a complete new system of existence and life slowly evolves into something new every time.

This is a cool topic OP, thanks

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Sounds about right to me!

Just another step in the evolution of the universe. Perhaps each big bang brings forth new physics and elements in an ineffable, massive scale?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

This reminds me of something I read on ExitMundi about the wash/rinse/repeat style of the universe.

Check this out. It's a little different from what you are talking about but I think you're both on the right track.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

The problem with that theory is that black-holes radiate energy and eventually will evaporate.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

That escaped energy has to go somewhere. Either back into the hole or towards another. It's possible that once they begin coalescing no energy can escape. It would be an insane *everything must be sucked in*, but *there is so much of everything in this trending-to singularity* that it must escape. Sounds like potential pre-big-bang conditions!
edit on 10/15/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I've thought of similar theories, but the major differing thought I had was not that the black holes ate the entire universe, but that the universe eventually reaches some critical size and begins to implode on itself, similar to a single very large black hole.

The singularity would be the universe before the big bang, and the big bang would occur once the snake has eaten itself, so to speak. Regardless, the singularity would by definition have the same starting conditions for the universe, leading to the same outcomes, which would lead to the next set of identical outcomes, on and on forever...

Of course, I'm not saying this is the case, or that I'm anywhere close to being the first person to think of such things, such as demonstrated by the OP, but then again for all I know this could all be one huge dream.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

That escaped energy has to go somewhere. Either back into the hole or towards another.

The energy doesn't have to go back into a black hole.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

So, your thoughts concern black holes swallowing all the planets and the stars in trillions of years? I would start with army ants eating the Congo before I get to black holes devouring the universe, but that's just me. lol

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DeliriumAquarium

that the universe eventually reaches some critical size and begins to implode on itself, similar to a single very large black hole.

That possibility can be ruled out since we now know the expansion of the Universe is accelerating. Before we could measure the expansion rate of the Universe a lot of people thought the expansion of the Universe must be slowing down, and of course if it's slowing down then it will eventually reach a stopping point, and will begin to implode. But if the expansion is accelerating, which we now know it is, then it's fairly certain to say the Universe will not ever stop expanding or implode... especially if space-time is infinite in size, and the evidence is pointing that way.

And this also leads to another flaw in the OP's theory. Even if all the galaxies get sucked into black holes, those black holes will forever remain many light years apart, and in fact will continue to get further and further apart due to the expansion of space.
edit on 15/10/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

You do realize you're suggesting an infinite number of retro generations ? Don't you ?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

So because the rate of expansion of the universe is accelerating, does that mean the universe will always be accelerating? Or could it conceivably slow down, billions, perhaps trillions of years into the future?

Although, I can see how the universe could be expanding, but not necessarily expanding in mass, only area... Therefore no critical mass to be reached.

But still, if you were to rewind the history of the universe, back to when it was a single point, cause and effect means there should be some event, something leading up to that point, and something leading up to the point before that... The way I see it, it only really makes sense to think of it either as cyclical in nature, or as a smaller part of some vastly larger system, which we cannot possibly comprehend...

Also, I take issue with the way the concept of infinity is often applied... It is said the universe is infinite, but we cannot possibly know that... A simple example being a hamster in a wheel...The hamster can run forever (ruling out death/exhaustion), but that does not mean it has to run forever... Likewise, the universe can go on forever, but it does not mean that it does just because we lack the brains and time necessary to make such measurements.

edit on 15-10-2012 by DeliriumAquarium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DeliriumAquarium

So because the rate of expansion of the universe is accelerating, does that mean the universe will always be accelerating? Or could it conceivably slow down, billions, perhaps trillions of years into the future?
Well the math would seem to indicate it will always continue expanding, but none of us can be 100% sure of anything. They may be mechanisms which eventually cause the expansion to start slowing down.

Although, I can see how the universe could be expanding, but not necessarily expanding in mass, only area... Therefore no critical mass to be reached.
That's essentially what is happening. The space between galaxies is constantly getting larger, not because the galaxies are moving further apart, but because the space between galaxies is literally expanding, getting larger or "stretching out" if you will.

But still, if you were to rewind the history of the universe, back to when it was a single point, cause and effect means there should be some event, something leading up to that point, and something leading up to the point before that... The way I see it, it only really makes sense to think of it either as cyclical in nature, or as a smaller part of some vastly larger system, which we cannot possibly comprehend...
I completely agree. It most likely is cyclical and something did lead up to the Big Bang. Take a look at this thread I made a while ago: Before The Big Bang

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

edit on 16-10-2012 by DeliriumAquarium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Imagine a GALAXY sized BLACK HOLE
Eating another galaxy, including ITS black
hole. And repeat this thousands of billions
times...

Would be one H*** of black hole....

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Miccey

You do realize you're suggesting an infinite number of retro generations ? Don't you ?

Explain..
Retro Generations..?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

reply to post by Miccey

Explain..
Retro Generations..?

Exactly what you are suggesting only backwards in time infinitely. In a word, impossible.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

reply to post by Miccey

Explain..
Retro Generations..?

Exactly what you are suggesting only backwards in time infinitely. In a word, impossible.

Uhmm, I think i understand and if, WHY impossible...
Try to explain it as you would to a Child...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

My thoughts exactly.

When explaining this to others I refer to it as a condensing universe, where mass/energy at it simplest form has a critical mass akin to that of nuclear material....only much much greater.

Once that critical mass is reached, it would only take a small amount of mass/energy added to it to cause a release...i.e. a very big bang indeed.

I like the thought that this could be happening over and over, and also simultaneaously throught all of existence.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The most likely scenario is that the universe continues to accelerate until it reaches the speed of light. Once this happens, it reaches the cosmic speed limit, so yes it will stop accelerating. However, it will change the universe drastically. Galaxies close to each other will merge into super galaxies, and the far ones will eventually travel too far away to be seen. So to us in the mega milky way, it will appear like we are the only galaxy in the universe. This will continue until the rest of the energy burns out and the universe ends in a dark freeze.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join