It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Is Working on a Nasal Spray to Keep Astronauts From Throwing Up in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

NASA Is Working on a Nasal Spray to Keep Astronauts From Throwing Up in Space

gizmodo.com

It turns out that over half of astronauts develop a kind of space motion-sickness, which is accompanied by all those light-headed, "Oh god I am going to vomit" feelings we all know too well, except in space. The drug NASA's has its eye on is called intranasal scopolamine, or INSCOP, and can work as a pill or a patch, but it's nasal spray that goes to work the quickest to keep you from throwing up, or down, or everywhere.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.drugstorenews.com
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hello, my first thread, but I thought this was an odd story because of the mention of scopolamine. From my understanding scopolamine is called the world's scariest drug accord to VICE. Basically it's a sort of mind control drug, while I am all for astronauts not spewing whilst in space I just found it really odd they'd use this intranasal scopolamine or INSCOP for short.

It's known as devil's breath, zombie drug and other names that'd make you want to stay far far away from it.

A quick youtube search of Devil's Breath will bring up a great documentary done by vice on the substance, again I was just put off when I read NASA is using it for an anti-puke drug.

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The truth about scopolamine is somewhat more mundane than it being the scariest drug in the world - you linked to it already, but apparently did not read it.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I had read about it as a motion sickness drug, I am guessing the VICE video I had watched over dramatized it, or perhaps its all in the method of making it. The video I had referenced they acted like it nuked the entire room instantly. The residue would have you in a trance. The wikipedia talked about urban legends of it, perhaps the vice documentary creators were full of it? That I don't know and I wouldn't want find out by taking it, yet is it as mundane as you say?
From the same wikipedia article

6Criminal use

In 1910, it was detected in the remains believed to be those of Cora Crippen, wife of Dr. Hawley Harvey Crippen, and was accepted at the time as the cause of her death since her husband was known to have bought some at the start of the year.[26] A 2012 example claims small amounts are blown into victims' faces on the street to turn the victims into "mindless zombies".[27] There have also been reports of tourists being robbed after having scopolamine slipped into their food or drink. Such incidents were reported in Thailand in 2011.[28] Scopolamine poisoning is sometimes reported by the media as method by which people are raped, killed, or robbed. [29]

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
OP great find, and good connection. Now lets explore the WHY for the other poster. It all has the do with the part of the brain that makes you puke. Its in the base of the brain. So is consciousness. It is this reason that Psycho drugs make you puke. In this case a small amount of scopolamine. keeps you from puking.

Excess of many things can be life ending. It could be argued that the No.1 killer in the United States is Abortion. Maybe even the world.

Again good find. Had you not posted it, I would not have found this remarkable topic

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komonazmuk
The drug NASA's has its eye on is called intranasal scopolamine, or INSCOP, and can work as a pill or a patch, but it's nasal spray that goes to work the quickest to keep you from throwing up, or down, or everywhere.

Not at all clear what they"working on" in this regard, since intranasal scopolamine has already been readily available for decades now.

new topics

top topics

join