It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel sorry for Americans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by livenlearn
Hahaha, we don't need help from narrow minded people like you. Didn't you ever learn that what comes around goes around? Pretty basic but most people would agree it holds true. You're day will come. The only difference being, I genuinely we'll feel bad for your innocent ones and not feel pity except for people like yourself.

Well, well - the here comes the "Patriot Brigade" along with the threats to myself and my "innocent ones". Go livenlearn!

Just what I would expect, hence the "pity"...

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone
I feel sorry for anyone who is not an american.

Differences aside, this is the greatest country on earth.

period.

The last time I checked it was the Galapagos Islands. Probably because there are no humans down there

Seriously, don't be that arrogant. There are far better places than USA, Germany, France, UK or whatever floats your boat. All in all Switzerland, Liechtenstein, British Virgin Islands and Grenada get my vote. Well, Grenada is out of the line but still a wonderful place to live unlike other famous caribbean islands.

[edit on 18-10-2004 by shoo]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by webvida
I'm not the one saying my country is any better than anyone else's... it seems some of the Americans here are hooked on some sort of superiority complex...

The topic of this thread was concerned about my views on democrates and republicans, but has since been consigned to "America is the greatest, Amercia is the best, talk against America is not to be tolerated"!

I would like to know the percentage of Americans as opposed to the rest of the world who browse these forums - from what I have seen there is at times here a "patriot brigade" that gangs up on many posts which go against the "everyone loves america" agenda....

Don't get me wrong - I love the American People, I just don't like the US government

I for one never said that America was the greatest. I said America is faced with a predicament that probably could have been predicted many years ago for which you have not experienced like we Americans have. Thus, you cannot have the answers or know our position intimately. We know that much of the world hates, envies, despises, or whatever you want to call it, us. I for one don't hate them back, but I know their day will come too eventually when their freedom or stability will be in danger. We'll see how they fair. We'll see how they treat their prisoners, we'll see how they fight amongst citizens, we'll see what their dirty laundry is since we all have some. People are simply standing by their country like you're gonna do one day perhaps.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
wow you would really rather be in poverty level in Africa then in the US

$ 8,980 a year is average of the poverty line in the lower 48 in the US. Poor in Africa would wish for that much money. Many poor in Africa live on a less then $1 a day. That would be about a whopping $365 a year.

Lets not forget things like the genocides, Aids,Lack of medical supplies and hospitals and a host of other things, trust me theres alot more.

Yeah I think you are crazy to prefer poverty in Africa.

Maybe so, but then again what of those living the tribal/communal village type lifestyle enjoying tradition and family values... Yes I am crazy, because I would prefer this poverty to that of the US Poverty. Sorry...

Oh and your quite sure that poor in america recieve hospital treatment, mediacal supplies and aids treatement - oh there is no aids in america?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shoo
Seriously, don't be that arrogant. There are far better places than USA, Germany, France, UK or whatever floats your boat. All in all Switzerland, Liechtenstein, British Virgin Islands and Grenada get my vote.

The British Virgin Islands and Grenada are territories of the U.K. So, you're actually listing the U.K., Liechtenstein, and Switzerland as your three favorite countries.

I'm a U.S. citizen, and I love and am proud of my country. But that doesn't mean I harbor any ill will towards other countries. I love learning about and visiting other countries, and have full respect for their sovereignty, as I hope others visiting the U.S. have full respect for ours.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
America is ranked 6th on the countries with the highest standard of living list. I would expect more from the world superpower. United States is also 6th in the top 100 countries by murder rate, inbetween Mexico and Venezuela (99-2000).

That said, I'm sure there are pockets in America where it would be awesome to live, and many others where it would be very dangerous and burdening.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by webvida

Maybe so, but then again what of those living the tribal/communal village type lifestyle enjoying tradition and family values... Yes I am crazy, because I would prefer this poverty to that of the US Poverty. Sorry...

Oh and your quite sure that poor in america recieve hospital treatment, mediacal supplies and aids treatement - oh there is no aids in america?

I dont know of a single country without aids and for that matter not a single one comes close to whats going on in Africa with AIDS. Starvation, Aids, Slave trade, poverty all at levels that dwarf any 1st world country.

"enjoying tradition and family values" LOL were did you learn about Africa. Africa is in the middle of a epidemic of Biblical proportions

I think you dont have a good understanding whats going on in Africa right now perhaps you should read up on it. Then you should read up on the US because you seem to be misguided there too.

www.unicef.org...

www.anti-slaverysociety.addr.com...

www.thesoutherncross.co.za...
www.villagevoice.com...

Please read up whats going on in Africa

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone
I feel sorry for anyone who is not an american.
Differences aside, this is the greatest country on earth.

Oh what a give away! With right-wing brainwashed stataments like that its obviously the most backward place on the planet. You just go round saluting the flag and blowing you little trumpet, go on see if it makes that pit of a country any greater!

Originally posted by krackel
We will never be the best country on earth until ALL countries are the best on earth

Well said that man! One of the most sensible things i have read on this board.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
>>>Show me a country - any country - with an illegal American immigrant problem.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Reasons the US is the best nation in the world

Before I go on to my reasons for this, don't flame me as it is my opinion, and you don't have to agree.

1) Diversity - You will not find a more diverse nation on the planet. We have significant populations of every ethnic background in the world. Thus, you can be exposed to a slew of different cultures.

2) The land - We have the best land on earth, by far. What other country can claim to have the wilderness of Alaska, the tropical paradise of Hawaii, the beaches of California, the islands of the Florida keys and caribean, the woods of the north east...

3) City life - Who has the number of totally unique urban areas. We've got the big apple, LA, DC, Chicago, New Orleans, Boston, Philly, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta etc etc etc. No one can come close to that.

4) Don't like the city? Try the country! Theres plenty of it with the likes of the midwest, south and north east.

5) Opertunity. No other country offers the opertunity that the US does, because no other #ry has the resources the US does. There are thousands of companies in different fields that other nations just don't have. It doesn't matter if it's computers or aircraft, cars or athletics, we've got it.

6) Eduction system. Say what you will about our highschools - the fact is that if you aply yourself at all you will find the best higher education system in the world, hands down.

7) We are good at just about everything. No matter what field it is, the US is at or near the top. Hell, we even did better in the world cup then most other countries

8) Football! The real kind where giant athletic freaks of nature play the most physical team sport in the world (yes, including rugby).

9) When ever you are feeling patriotic, you can chant "USA! USA!". No other country has anything with that kind of ring to it.

10) Gun ownership. We are allowed to own and carry guns almost everywhere in our country. That way when the NWO comes, we cn fight back!

11) The US is the most powerfull nation, and it's people have a say who is the leader. We get to elect the most powerfull man in the world every 4 years - in that respect, every American has power that no one else on Earth has.

Well, the list could go on, but I believe that I have shown there is a fair case to be made that the US is the greatest country on Earth.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Whatever.

Webvida started this with an insult to everyone in my country. (are you American Webvida? What are you?) I feel sorry for you that you would make such a sweeping, small minded statement of the American people. If there is anyone to feel sorry for, it is those less fortunate than the rest us. Not for not being American, but for being less fortunate or having been dealt a harsh hand.

People bitch about how we do things, but at least we step up.

We are far from perfect. Very far from it. But I think we are a step in the right direction.
I have travelled around the world and I am still proud to be American. Maybe not so proud of some of our goverment's decisions, but we have done some good.

Enjoy your American music, movies, food and yes, your internet.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
OK lets try to de-bunk this stuff..

1)diversity. This is a country that SHOULD have been bilingual (english/spanish) long ago, but isn't. The idea being to homoginize the cultures into one bland american "culture". Not so much diversity then is there.

2)best land... another one of there "bests" wont even bother adressing such a loose point.

3)City life.. yeah urbaization, isolates people and creates ghettos nothing to be proud about really.

4)Should have been 3)

5)Oppertunity, yeah if you are white and have money. Just look at the working conditions you have over there, no holidays, almost no rights to unions etc.

6)Higher education is the best? Hard to tell with the funding they get just look at the proportion of the population that actually makes it there. And even then there are reasons to doubt it works just look at Dubya.

7) 8) 9) What ever that was about.

10)The right to bear arms (roll up your sleeves) thats more to do with keeping the gun industry making a profit.

11)Yeah you are terrorizing the planet with your imperial drive.

Wow what a wonderfull place it is

Lets not forget the genocide needed to make it in the first place.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Please please,

Pity the American.

His country has nothing.

No Natural resources, no scientists, no diversity of culture.
No communication system, no spacecraft exploring other planets, no farmlands, no beautiful national parks.. We are poor.

We have no freedoms, we have no highway system, no hospitals, no doctors, no inventors, no philanthropists, no musicians. We are destitute.

We have no ideals of freedom, nobody risks life and limb to come here, EVER. We have no artists, no creativity. You never see a beautiful home, or a decent car. Women cannot vote, or hold jobs. We are empty.

There is no scenery here, that takes your breath away. No rolling grasslands, no snowcapped mountains, no sparkling beaches. There are no jobs, no opportunities. We don't count.

Feel sorry for me....
Send me a dollar..

[edit on 19-10-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

Lets not forget the genocide needed to make it in the first place.

I'm here because of you Irish.

Manifest Destiny has it's roots in European thought.

What blood our country has in it's history is there and cannot be changed. WE can only move forward and hopefully learn from our ancestor's mistakes.

It is a good place to live. Perhaps if you actually lived here, you could actually make a good judgement call on how it is to actually live here. (trips to Florida do not count!)

Again, it is a good place to live.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst
I'm here because of you Irish.
Manifest Destiny has it's roots in European thought.
What blood our country has in it's history is there and cannot be changed. WE can only move forward and hopefully learn from our ancestor's mistakes.
It is a good place to live. Perhaps if you actually lived here, you could actually make a good judgement call on how it is to actually live here.

What do you mean about the Irish? I am curious.

The whole of america has it roots in European thought....

Leaning from the past? The US seems to be perfecting the art of genocide with each passing day.

Living there is OK?!? I take it you have a roof over your head access to a PC and some sort of income... living like that ANYWHERE is OK.

EDIT: that spelling once more.

[edit on 19/10/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

What do you mean about the Irish? I am curious.

The whole of america has it roots in European thought....

Leaning from the past? The US seems to be perfecting the art of genocide with each passing day.

Living there is OK?!? I take it you have a roof over your head access to a PC and some sort of income... living like that ANYWHERE is OK.

Good to see you.

Here we go again.

1. Perhaps I should say I am here because of the UK?

2. Perfecting the art of genocide? I think the Nazis raised the bar higher than anyone else. Cromwell certainly comes to mind as well though.

*You of all people should at the very least appreciate what Billy Clinton did for N.Ireland. We are not all bad.* Some of us actually care how the rest of the world treats one another.

3. Yes, I do have means and a roof. but that does not stop me and many others here in the US from caring about and trying to help those without.

4. if other countries cared so much about genocide, then they would have not done business with Saddam and the other multitude of dictators in the world. N.Korea and Belarus come to mind very clearly.

As said earlier, come on over, then you can really learn about us. I made the effort and went over to Europe several times. Time for you to do the same and not base your opinions off of the TV. I'll even put you up in and we can grab a pint or ten of Guiness here in LA. (though never really properly poured!)

enjoy our music, food, movies and internet.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceTman
>>>Show me a country - any country - with an illegal American immigrant problem.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
In what way is America the greatest country to live in?
I've lived in a couple of diff countries other than the US.
I'll admit financialy yes, this IS the greatest country to live in.
But it falls way behind a lot of countries in education, rich/poor devide, community spirit, crime, government, safety, racism, driving ability, beer, marijuana, freedom (yes freedom).
Of course there are great things other than capital in this country also.
The national parks (They don't even belong to the US anymore)
Harley Davidson (but I can't afford one)
Rock 'n' Roll (sucked up and spit out by the establishment leaving nothing but bland conformatism and plastic rebels)
Fast Food (Currently, 64.5 percent of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, are overweight and 30.5 percent are obese. And it's rising fast in Europe because of American fast food restaurants)
57 Chevies (can't afford one of those either)
The right to bare arms (In 2002, 51% of homicides were committed with handguns, 16% with other guns, 13% with knives, 5% with blunt objects, and 16% with other weapons.
Diversity (America is one of the most racialy devided countries in the World, financialy and socialy)
Don't get me wrong I love this country, just don't understand blind patriotism. So I thought I'd just point out some less than great features.
Flame flame away

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Ok how about we TRY to get this back to what I think the original post was getting at. America's government, is worrying...to put it short. The bullying, the pushing their weight aroud in any country they see fit, the taking money from welfare to be put into weapons. That is worrying and I feel sorry for America in that respect. As far as the "my country is better than your country" nonsense, come on, we're not in the school playground here.

For what it's worth, the general american population DOES have a superiority complex, they have become a little too proud for their own good, this is one of the negative effects of living in the (currently) most powerful country in the world.

It's in the US government's best interested to keep fostering this arrogance in the general population, as it manifests as EXTREME patriotism, where a large portion of the population will start to blindly follow anything their government says as they believe they are the best and anyone who disagrees is obviously an uneducated moron.

But, at with all empires, eventually, the US will fall. When and how is anybodys guess, but if history has taught us anything, it's that when a country starts getting too big for its own boots & starts influencing most of the world, it will surely crumble under it's own weight.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
In what way is America the greatest country to live in?
I've lived in a couple of diff countries other than the US.
I'll admit financialy yes, this IS the greatest country to live in.
But it falls way behind a lot of countries in education, rich/poor devide, community spirit, crime, government, safety, racism, driving ability, beer, marijuana, freedom (yes freedom).
Of course there are great things other than capital in this country also.
The national parks (They don't even belong to the US anymore)
Harley Davidson (but I can't afford one)
Rock 'n' Roll (sucked up and spit out by the establishment leaving nothing but bland conformatism and plastic rebels)
Fast Food (Currently, 64.5 percent of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, are overweight and 30.5 percent are obese. And it's rising fast in Europe because of American fast food restaurants)
57 Chevies (can't afford one of those either)
The right to bare arms (In 2002, 51% of homicides were committed with handguns, 16% with other guns, 13% with knives, 5% with blunt objects, and 16% with other weapons.
Diversity (America is one of the most racialy devided countries in the World, financialy and socialy)
Don't get me wrong I love this country, just don't understand blind patriotism. So I thought I'd just point out some less than great features.
Flame flame away

I have lived in a few other countries as well. The US is far from prefect, but I truly belive in the sense of worldly society, we are the future. I live in LA and have neighbors from every part of the globe... that makes me happy. That I have people from all over over who can teach me about different backrounds.

As far as ethincally divided. yes, there are problems, but that is pretty common everywhere. Not right, but common,

Why is is that when the Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda hack each other to death it is ignored but the US is evil?

I give up. We can't do anything right. Enjoy your internet.
The single greatest thing in our(as in ALL OF US) history to bring us all closer. Hence our debates.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join