It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fairy Circles or Mushrooms? (Pics)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
It's where fairies dance and such.

Thx

you for

my 2nd laugh of the day LOL

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf
I would love to see any other pictures, if you any of you have them to offer!

Also, the grass on the inside of the ring seems a little greener in one of the circles. But would this explain why the rings themselves have browned grass?

reply to post by KentuckyMan
Starred for making me laugh!

reply to post by jeantherapy
Hitting on my ShadowPerson?! How dare he!

I actually have two different types of my mushrooms growing in my backyard (I have two horses) but neither of the two types in my backyard are the same mushroom that are in the pictures. I will try to get pictures of the two kinds growing in my backyard when I get home.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NaeBabii
Do you know anything about them, why they do this, or the legend behind them?

Yes, between financially conquering the world and negotiating with alien overlords, I also go to random grass fields and grow mushrooms in circles....

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

You're welcome

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Here is a perfect example of mushroom mycelium and how it grows radially outwards.

edit on 17-10-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
Here is a perfect example of mushroom mycelium and how it grows radially outwards.

edit on 17-10-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

I disagree.
Those are magical shrooms made by poppa smurf for his baby smurf's.

You can tell how there in a circle...int he middle of the circle is where they dance and stuff.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend

Do you know anything about them, why they do this, or the legend behind them?

Yes, between financially conquering the world and negotiating with alien overlords, I also go to random grass fields and grow mushrooms in circles....

LOL took me a minute to catch that one.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
She found a minature mushroom henge. Now find the minature druids.

Absolutely love it!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

yes me too i wish i was one of them mushrooms lol

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

reply to post by 1littlewolf

Also, the grass on the inside of the ring seems a little greener in one of the circles. But would this explain why the rings themselves have browned grass?

Its all to do with nutrient balance in the soil, especially nitrogen. The mycelium needs more nitrogen than grass does to survive but at the same time it breaks down organic matter faster. Usually the green bits are around the edge where not only have prior mushroom generations died in close proximity which releases more nutrients, but also the 'spread' hasn't yet depleted the edges of the circle.

Within the center where the mycelium still exists it can be darker green if weather, soil and other environmental factors combine to ensure a continual supply of organic matter/water to ensure the soil isn’t depleted which combined with the faster decay leave the soil with excess nutrients. If this balance isn’t right then the mycelium will continue to leach the nutrients at the expense of any other plants or grasses.

Here’s a great wiki article I reckon you would be interested which gives a great summary of both the folklore and the science which surrounds fairy rings.

en.wikipedia.org...

One of the manifestations of fairy ring growth is a necrotic zone—an area in which grass or other plant life has withered or died. These zones are caused by the mycelia which, during a very dry year, coat the roots of grasses and other herbs in meadows. After some time they are removed by biotic factors from the ground, at which stage a zone on the surface soil becomes visible. Patterns other than the basic ring or arc are also possible: circles, doubled arcs, sickle-shaped arcs, and other complicated formations are also formed by this process. Fungi can deplete the soil of readily available nutrients such as nitrogen, causing plants growing within the circle to be stressed which leads to plant discoloration. Some fungi also produce chemicals which act like hormones called gibberellins, which affect plant growth, causing rapid luxuriant growth.

Long-term observations of fairy rings on Shillingstone Hill, England, further suggested that the cycle depended on the continuous presence of rabbits. Chalky soils on higher elevations in the counties of Wiltshire and Dorset (U.K.) used to support many meadow-type fairy rings. Rabbits crop grass very short in open areas and produce nitrogen-rich droppings. Mushrooms need more soil nitrogen than grass does. A ring can start from a single spore from which the mycelium develops; the fruiting bodies of the mushrooms only appearing later, when sufficient mycelial mass has been generated to support them. Subsequent generations of fungi grow only outwards, because the parent generations have depleted their local nitrogen levels. Meanwhile, rabbits keep cropping the grass, but do not eat the fungi, allowing them to grow through their competition to tower, relatively, above the grass. By the time a circle of mushrooms reaches about 6 metres (20 ft) in diameter, rabbit droppings have replenished the nitrogen levels near the centre of the circle, and a secondary ring may start to grow inside the first.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
These are fairy circles and mushrooms..! It is a sign that 3 fairies, elves or pixies have been dancing there or you should step into them and you will be taken to a kingdom...

It is very common throughout European folklore. And apparently they stay no longer than 5 days and if you wait patiently for the elf, fairy or pixie to return, one may able to talk to or capture the creature.
Mushrooms are the bestest, i love them. Especially the magical kind...

Nice thread OP snf

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NaeBabii

OK, two things you need to know...
First, if you step into a fairy ring by the light of the moon, you will be drawn down to the Faerie King's feast. While it may seem like just one night to you, it may be days or weeks gone by, by the time you return.

Second, if you wear a faerie stone, which is a stone that has had a hole worn through it by running water, you will be protected from the King's 'invitation,

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If you can sit in the shoom circle at midnight,
morning just be for the sun comes up or twilight.
if you are lucky you will see fairy's.

leave some bread and honey drink.
honey and water. or better get some mead.
it is a honey wine. as a gift.

it is always best to have the fairy people liking you.
they can help you in life.
best to do it because you are nice!

we get them in england a lot.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

yes me too i wish i was one of them mushrooms lol

I'd rather be a 'Merlin' in that ring...kazzzam!

Rainbows
Jane
PS...Ooops...that means i could eat you! lol!
edit on 18-10-2012 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here's one I caught....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

What do you place do with it no you have caught it?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Lol! It helps me with the housework, so I feed him and make tiny wee clothes for it. I am in the process of helping him build his own little house in my garden

We have become great friends!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Mycelium-schmelium, science-schmience.
I'm a closet mycologist and love going for a walk to see what mushrooms are about, and I tell you now, fairy rings are called so for a reason. And there's magic there. No matter what "science" says. Years ago, so called scientists believed the earth was flat, so that's what I say.

OP, if you could do so (without getting shot at or don't mind looking like a bit of a "hippie-weirdo") take the advice of one of the above posters and take some honey to the circles. The fact that there's three of them makes them even more special, I feel.

And also, depending what kind of mushrooms they are (I can't really see on the pic) would be an indication of which type of magical creatures are about.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Your a kind hearted woman

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus
I will be going to take pictures of them today.

I don't mind seeming weird, they are ok with me looking at and taking pictures of the mushrooms, so I imagine they wouldn't mind the Honey, but what exactly is honey supposed to do?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join