It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baumgartner broke sound barrier plus 2 other records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
...this according to the National Aeronautic Association.

According to NAA..
1) During a four-minute, 20-second free fall, he reached a speed of Mach 1.24 or 833.9 miles per hour

2) He broke the record of highest jump from a platform

3) He also broke the longest free fall without a drogue parachute

“These are mind-blowing numbers,” Baumgartner said at a news conference later. “When I was standing there on top of the world, you become so humble, you do not think about breaking records anymore, you do not think about gaining scientific data. The only thing you want is you want to come back alive.”

When asked how it felt to travel faster than the speed of sound, Baumgartner said it was “hard to describe” because he “didn’t feel it at all.” The pressurized suit operated much like a casket, protecting him against the thin air and keeping his bodily fluids from essentially boiling at the high altitude.

Baumgartner free falls from space

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Also something to do with most people watching a youtube channel at the same time with over 7 million logged on watching.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Explanation: S&F!

I watched the Jump Live whilst in the chat room with many other fellow chatters and we were all fantastically amazed and awed at his attempt and achievement!

To quote benevolent tyrant [a
who is often in the chat room] ...

Felix! You are the Incredible Falling Man!

Personal Disclosure: I hear Felix has no pubes
... because hair does not grow on steel balls!

edit on 15-10-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix emoticon bbcode.

edit on 15-10-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fiix the mods username. :shk:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
man, simply amazing. "the man that fell to earth" indeed. can you imagine what was going through his mind standing on the step as he contemplated his jump, it gives me chills.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Saw it live...I tell ya ....The man has GUTS!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have a question about his tumbling phase. Since there was no resistance and I've read somewhere that Kittinger said he didn't even feel like he was tumbling when it happened to him, did they still feel the effects of tumbling? Like dizziness, vertigo etc...? Just wondering.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by n3mesis

LOL..I know right. The guy talking to him just before he jumped had to ask him twice if he was ready. It appeared he was a little bit apprehensive to jump but once he stood up, he was ready.

top topics

join