Scottish independence: Cameron and Salmond strike referendum deal

page: 2
16
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior
 


My mother and half of my family is from Scotland.

Voting YAY for independence!





posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I absolutely love this peace of news.

I am English born and raised in London. Its about time we let the Scottish "people" gain independence from the UK.

I have no liking for the country of Scotland what-so-ever. They are a drain on the economy, they FAIL at everything they put their hands too and they generally suck as a country. If anything we need to put a wall around out border and block out these perpetual drug taking people from entering England again. They have zero chance of surviving and with no real economy or armed forces or even a basic grasp of the English language they will be placed at the bottom of all irrelevant things the UK and mainly England has had the displeasure of being associated with.

I can not explain in words clear enough how bad Scotland sucks at being a country. If you walk around the center of Glasgow you really get to understand the depths people can sink to in life.

And no one from Scotland come on here and talk about the oil....you will never have the run of it. Once you are independent you will be pushed out of any deal, have zero way of enfoceing anything and the only form of intelligence gathering your country will be able to conduct is how many crack pipes lie in doorways of shops and bus stops. Good riddance to Scotland.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six6Six
I absolutely love this peace of news.

I am English born and raised in London. Its about time we let the Scottish "people" gain independence from the UK.

I have no liking for the country of Scotland what-so-ever. They are a drain on the economy, they FAIL at everything they put their hands too and they generally suck as a country. If anything we need to put a wall around out border and block out these perpetual drug taking people from entering England again. They have zero chance of surviving and with no real economy or armed forces or even a basic grasp of the English language they will be placed at the bottom of all irrelevant things the UK and mainly England has had the displeasure of being associated with.

I can not explain in words clear enough how bad Scotland sucks at being a country. If you walk around the center of Glasgow you really get to understand the depths people can sink to in life.

And no one from Scotland come on here and talk about the oil....you will never have the run of it. Once you are independent you will be pushed out of any deal, have zero way of enfoceing anything and the only form of intelligence gathering your country will be able to conduct is how many crack pipes lie in doorways of shops and bus stops. Good riddance to Scotland.


Alex Salmond, is that you?

If not, good trolling. I particularly like how the magnitude of your venom robbed you of the ability to spell. Thats a nice touch.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six6Six
I absolutely love this peace of news.

I am English born and raised in London. Its about time we let the Scottish "people" gain independence from the UK.

I have no liking for the country of Scotland what-so-ever. They are a drain on the economy, they FAIL at everything they put their hands too and they generally suck as a country. If anything we need to put a wall around out border and block out these perpetual drug taking people from entering England again. They have zero chance of surviving and with no real economy or armed forces or even a basic grasp of the English language they will be placed at the bottom of all irrelevant things the UK and mainly England has had the displeasure of being associated with.

I can not explain in words clear enough how bad Scotland sucks at being a country. If you walk around the center of Glasgow you really get to understand the depths people can sink to in life.

And no one from Scotland come on here and talk about the oil....you will never have the run of it. Once you are independent you will be pushed out of any deal, have zero way of enfoceing anything and the only form of intelligence gathering your country will be able to conduct is how many crack pipes lie in doorways of shops and bus stops. Good riddance to Scotland.


For anyone not from the UK, this is one of the main reasons why more and more Scots want independence.

Currently most of the big decisions regarding the people of Scotland are being made in London by people like this chap.

Yes Scotland!



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six
 


Can I ask why you put Scottish " people " in inverted commas?As for the druggie crack pipe comments,you do realise its blacks from England that come up here and sell crack.
If I said your comments about blacks,Asians or any other nationality I would get banned.Why do the English hate Scots but fill their towns with foreigners?
People like you are the reason a lot of people want nothing to do with England or your German royal family.
Oh and for the record I don't want independance if Salmond has his grubby little paws in there.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
This is pointless really, as it presently stands there is practically no chance of independence. Barely 1/3 of the population supports independence. This isent about 'independence' it is about Alex Salmond's ego.

Besides, what is the point of becoming independent if Salmond is just going to hand Scotland over to the European Union?

Seriously guys you need to look beyond Braveheart and at all the facts. Reality is that an independent Scotland would be a disaster.

The SNP would do well to renounce independence an instead focus on Scotland within the United Kingdom ie the so called DevoMax option that Cameron has rejected.
edit on 15-10-2012 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)


Never actually considered a Mel Gibson film in all this?

I'd be grateful if you could expand on independence being a 'disaster' for Scotland. I've been watching the 'Better Together' campaign with some interest (reflection of current times when Labour are willing bedfellows with the Conservatives), but I have yet to see any compelling argument that Scotland will be better staying in the union. Please explain, genuinely interested.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by Six6Six
 


Can I ask why you put Scottish " people " in inverted commas?As for the druggie crack pipe comments,you do realise its blacks from England that come up here and sell crack.
If I said your comments about blacks,Asians or any other nationality I would get banned.Why do the English hate Scots but fill their towns with foreigners?
People like you are the reason a lot of people want nothing to do with England or your German royal family.
Oh and for the record I don't want independance if Salmond has his grubby little paws in there.


The SNP are just a vehicle for independence, if you like. I believe there is a 'Scottish Labour for Independence' movement out there amongst others.

Gaining independence would allow different political parties to thrive and promote policies which do not require Westminster approval.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by Six6Six
 


Can I ask why you put Scottish " people " in inverted commas?As for the druggie crack pipe comments,you do realise its blacks from England that come up here and sell crack.
If I said your comments about blacks,Asians or any other nationality I would get banned.Why do the English hate Scots but fill their towns with foreigners?
People like you are the reason a lot of people want nothing to do with England or your German royal family.
Oh and for the record I don't want independance if Salmond has his grubby little paws in there.


To be honest with you, I hate the foreigners on the streets of London. Most are from countries where basic toilet etiquette is non existent. However, these decisions were made by politicians for whatever reason they choose to BS the public with.

My point though is that Scotland has nothing to offer the world. They will have no form of surviving without England constantly bailing their butts out. What will be their exports? Kilts and Whiskey? How will they protect their citizens? What about jobs? Where do they go for jobs? Scotland has some of the least educated people to walk the face of the earth and the ones who do have even a morsel of intelligence do not stay. They LEAVE!!.

Scotland has nothing to invest in itself let alone provide to the rest of the world. Their contribution now is basically a joke and when they are independent they will not be invited to sit in on even the smallest of matters globally.

I want scotland to be cut off completely and that money they steal and scrounge from England can go to our own drug addicted coke children.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Six6Six because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm pleased Scotland is getting the chance to determine it's own future.

I think there will be plenty of time to discuss the pro's and con's of Scottish independance but for the record I personally believe we are Better Together but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with me.

I don't understand how 16 and 17 year old's can be allowed to vote on this but nothing else - surely if their opinion is worth a vote on independance it is equally valid on election's etc?

And as has been mentioned as much as I support Scotland's Right to Self-Determination I wish Cameron and the other other political parties would abide with the UK's peoples wish for a referendum on continued membership of the EU.

I think the debate between now and polling day could be at times quite heated and passionate and may prove a bit of a cathartic process for the Scottish people.

To be honest I think the pro-independance movement may be at a disadvatage from the start - Alex Salmond is a person who people either support or dislike intensely - no middle of the road.

Even at this early stage I think it's worth mentioning a few points;

The Union between Scotland and the rest of the UK was instigated at the behest of Scotland; Scotland has always been a full and equal partner in the UK and has benefitted tremendously from this partnership - it has never been a subjugated or down trodden nation. (ETA. well not significantly more than various other parts of the UK, including large parts of England).

If Scotland votes for independance then it must be full indpendance - Salmond seems to think he can retain whateve bits and pieces he likes, like Sterling - bollocks to that, the pound is the currency of the United Kingdom, get your own or use the Euro.

No defence contracts - Rossyth and the Clyde yards would shut resulting in massive job losses.

People like the Scottish fishermen who were attacked by French fishermen this week will no longer be under the protection of the Royal Navy - Scots abroad will no longer be able to rely on UK forces and diplomatic resources in times of emergency.

It is interesting that already The Shetland and Orkney Islands are demanding the right to remain within The Union if they reject independance.

These are just a small handful of the many issues and questions that will arise - and I'm sure they'll be discussed here on ATS at length - given the passions it will invoke I just hope a certain level of civility can be maintained, however.....?
edit on 15/10/12 by Freeborn because: Add ETA



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six
 


You are an embarresment to all English people - no wonder lot's of people think we are complete wankers.

And I find it incredibly ironic that someone from that cesspit called London can criticise and slag off Glasgow.

I'm English, and very proud of it - I go to Glasgow quite frequently and have a great time whenever I go there - I avoid London like the plague.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six
 


You never answered the question-why did you put Scottish "people" in inverted commas?I hope my command of the English language is acceptable to you as its my second language the first being Scots.We aren't as stupid as you make out,we are in fact bilingual,just you can't use common sense to understand Scots.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This will fail mainly because by the time of the referendum the U.K will have merged with Canada Australia and New Zealand ( they are already merging their embassies into one) and Scotland won't want to be alone when that happens .



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
How about a real issue ! ram that independence referendum up both their arses and get them to have a referendum on political / judical , and financial reform in our government in the whole of the UK !

yeh but you wont ever see that happen will you !

I vote no confidence in any of them , so on polling day I will go in and write no confidence on my ballot sheet then step out of the booth show it to everyone then fold it up and put it in the wee box and walk out !

Hopefully to encourage others to do the same



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six
 


Clearly you dont have a clue !

Many great scots built the Brittish empire with their blood sweat and tears , the list of our contributions to science, education, maths , engineering and economics, literature and art grow and grow .
Shows how much you paid attention in school.

Despite our past accomplishments and achievements our country continues to be a benefit to the world , one such shining example being the games industry which is one of the largest industries in the world and a great benefit to the United Kingdoms economy , the great city of Dundee , renowned for its textile industry in its golden years is now the hub for the games industry in scotland.

Rosslyn farm just outside of Edinburgh head up our genetics research and development in animal and human studies.... anyways I digress I could go one for a while about our continued achievements and contributions to the world !

The point is despite our drug addicts , we are a great nation and have alot to offer. Immigration has allowed a large proportion of families to settle in Scotland adding diversity to our gene pool. Not only genetic diversity but potential academic marvels in the making !

I think we are all better together , however having independence may then allow the people of our great nation to push for reforms in all branches of government which are sorely needed. Again allowing us to reform everything from education to the judicial branch and change outdated draconian laws which have existed since the time of kings and queens which no longer have a place in a modern society.

you see how I didnt point the finger at "you people" south of the border (threw that in their to highlight your ignorance) and state any of London's pitfalls ! The list grows and grows

Just you remember laddie who made the country your living in and be thankful for the contributions from those who have been governed from London from the beginning !
edit on 16-10-2012 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by Six6Six
 


Clearly you dont have a clue !

Many great scots built the Brittish empire with their blood sweat and tears , the list of our contributions to science, education, maths , engineering and economics, literature and art grow and grow .
Shows how much you paid attention in school.

Despite our past accomplishments and achievements our country continues to be a benefit to the world , one such shining example being the games industry which is one of the largest industries in the world and a great benefit to the United Kingdoms economy , the great city of Dundee , renowned for its textile industry in its golden years is now the hub for the games industry in scotland.

Rosslyn farm just outside of Edinburgh head up our genetics research and development in animal and human studies.... anyways I digress I could go one for a while about our continued achievements and contributions to the world !

The point is despite our drug addicts , we are a great nation and have alot to offer. Immigration has allowed a large proportion of families to settle in Scotland adding diversity to our gene pool. Not only genetic diversity but potential academic marvels in the making !

I think we are all better together , however having independence may then allow the people of our great nation to push for reforms in all branches of government which are sorely needed. Again allowing us to reform everything from education to the judicial branch and change outdated draconian laws which have existed since the time of kings and queens which no longer have a place in a modern society.

you see how I didnt point the finger at "you people" south of the border (threw that in their to highlight your ignorance) and state any of London's pitfalls ! The list grows and grows

Just you remember laddie who made the country your living in and be thankful for the contributions from those who have been governed from London from the beginning !
edit on 16-10-2012 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)


I can't believe you feel that we are better together Sapien, you do realise that the corporation tax from your gaming firm goes directly to Westminster to do what they will.

As for people mentioning defence, this is one of the best reasons for independence. Scotland will have no need to be involved in any illegal and unnecessary wars abroad and will therefore have no need to spend countless millions or billions on defence.



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Scotland is FULL of.... straaaaaaange people.

Count on seeing some EPIC world events unfold if this comes to pass.

You guys know the Stone of Scone legend?
How bout the Tuatha de Danaan and their fiery "descent upon the mountain"? You know about Jura Mountain and the legends of longer life there, that one of the people who lived on the holy mountain reached 180 years according to locals?

How about the Grail legend, the Stuarts, the loss of the crown by MacBeth to MacDuff, and the idea that MacDuff (meaning "swarthy") migrated from Israel? How about Scottish Rite freemasonry, like, pwning the world??

Or is all that just tooooooo nuts?


Eek!



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kingmonkey
 


I certainly see where your coming from there ! however once we are independent , I guess its a matter of time before the EU tries to swallow us up too! and with the looming EU army on the rise , Scotland will just be another notch on the belt of the EU super continent , at least if we did remain in the United Kingdom we could potentially hold out against the EU giant longer.

My main concern is really with independence or remaining in the union , its the main issue of address a much needed reform of government in the UK , we have been using the same outdated system for long enough.
No amount of legislation can fix it , we need a reform for each branch of government and other reforms in education, finance, science , industry. In order to drive our economy our country particularly Scotland has the chance to drive alternative energy also the UK as a whole needs to invest heavily in science and industry and push the boundaries as we did during the empire. Many great achievements in the sciences were brought about by Great Britains as they were to be named at the time. Im not defending our past and the atrocities committed and still committed by our countries but it was a period of greatness for the UK .

I do completely agree with the aspect of foreign policy regarding the UK being involved overseas , where independence would bring the ability to determine our involvement in armed conflict. It would also remove the nuclear deterrant from the country. Im still unsure about the whole thing , I can slowly see Scotland drifting to the EU beast and we will be taken aboard the EU super army anyways !



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KhufuKeplerTriangle
 


Indeed there are many a crazy sctosman and plenty of tales told to scare the bairns afore bedtime !

most of them are based on fact and can be traced to actual events , which makes it even scarier



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Most 16 / 17 year olds won't think about the consequences and vote yes after watching too much Braveheart. I for one will be voting NO as most sane people should.



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Can't wait, I just hope to be still on this mortal earth come 2014, I'll be extremely upset if I happen to die prior to the vote / results.

A few bullet points on why I will vote Yes;

.Trident submarines will be moved to England, fantastic, stop poisoning our waters and marine life.
.No more unelected Eton educated Tory Lords.
.Our top businessmen tell us it's the only option for recovery and economic growth.
.I'll get a nice shiny new Scottish Passport.
.The 'Union' flag will be removed from all buildings north of the border, great, because I find it highly offensive.


I am on the fence when it comes to Europe and the Euro currency thus far, still to weigh up the pros and cons. Salmond may not be the right man to take us forward, but perhaps closer to 2014 we will see new leaders emerging.

Alba gu bràth.





top topics
 
16
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join