It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you think the best well rounded places would be in America, if the SHTF???? TOO SURVIVE

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Ive been doing a lot of survival preperations for my family and I for the last 4 years. There is just one question I have to ask you all, and that is where do you think the safest places would be in America, if the SHTF??? this could include an Economic collapse, X-class solar flare, Natural disasters, ect.... pretty much anything that would stop all communications, distribution of food, government collapse, everything that we depend on to have normal lives on a daily basis , completely Gone.
During my survival preperations ive taken great strides to think of many many different scenarios that could effect the way we all live. Im an engineer, so first thing besides stalking up on dehydrated food, seeds and a lot of water was, building a movable Electrical grid, with solar panels, wind generators, charge controllers, Inverters and 12- 6 volt, t-105 batteries hooked up parrallel, and in series, to create one giant 12 volt battery. Not to metion all the weapons and ammo i've been able to get. including primitve weapons, like a crossbows, long bows, traps, ect..... . it still wouldnt be enough without an excellent location for resuppllying my food rations and water, I know what I would do and have already planned, trained ourselves, and even did a mock test of what my family would do. It worked out pretty good, we spent a week in the deep forest of Arkansas, without much supplies and relied heavily on killing our own food and finding and boiling our own water, and trying to start fires without matches or a lighter (very hard) but was able to get it started, let me tell you though living just for one week, was NOT as easy as everyone thinks at all. Ive been a hunter my whole life, but even with those skills, tracking, finding deer scrapes and rubs we still found it very hard. Being located in the mountains of west central Arkansas, does give me some advantage, and disadvantage. Im close to my bug out location and underground shelter, Ive got plenty of wilderness to hunt and hide out, im at a pretty high elevation, but the weather here can be beautiful and brutal all in the same week. Im way inland from any kind of ocean effects, but close enough to navigate a major river system if we need to go farther south. but enough about my plans of survival
This is where my question to you all comes in. Where do you all think, are some of the best well rounded areas are to bug out, considering your going to have to resupply your food and grow food eventualy after your rations are gone. Would you head for the hills? stay in the city, scavenging for food, or just wait for help, which I highly suggest not doing.

I plan on merging with other survivalist, and all around group of about 10-15 people with different skills and traits needed to start over. we all have the plans and maps to get to my location, and we are all in favor, that if we find people along the way that can carry there own weight and provide to the survival community then they will be allowed in or voted in, whichever.

I know many on here have their own plans of survival, but I think it will definetly take a tight knit group of smart, common sense, overall common knowledge of Farming, Hunting, and a strong mentallity to make it through a global disaster that starts the world over. Good luck to all, when the SHTF, because I truly believe its coming, maybe not 12-21-12, but soon, just look at the news, economy, ect.... its going to implode, and yes Gold is good, but when your starving and a person is holding in one a hand a piece of deer meat, and in the other a bar of gold, I'd pick the meat anyday when in survival mode like that.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Not posted on ats is a good start

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Although this is a good pposys question I wonder what would happen if someone presented good data and it got observed here on above by some intel gathering AI that may be trying to set up a game board with humanity? I will observe the comments from now

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think that where ever you are comfortable, grew up, and are intimately familiar with will be the best place... so long as it isn't the city. LOL

Living in the wilds like Jeremiah Johnson or a Green Beret behind enemy lines is hard... and the choice of last resort.

That is why you and me and a host of others will stay pretty much where they are. That being near their home in a primarily rural, rugged area where they have made preparations... root cellar, farms, gardens, small livestock, a home with resources, etc.

Theoretically, you could move to a prime location... say Alaska... and a meteorite could strike you aka Tunguska 1901.

It is not so much where you are as where your mind is... knowledge, skill, experience, mental strength and intestinal fortitude.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
yes I somewhat agree that where you have grown up and are comfortable with , you may fair better, knowing certain locations, animals, plants, ect....

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

LOL, Im not the least bit worried about posting my plan on ATS, the amount of wilderness in my location, it would be hard to find it now, with technology that exist today, Now if I posted a map of my bug out location then yes I agree. LOL

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Considering the elite have their comfy bunkers already built and well stocked, and the amount of Lvl 4 biolabs they have thru out the country, I really don't think there will be any safe places in America.......

Link to Lvl 4 Bio labs World wide
edit on 15-10-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Its all good if I can remember that password I will pick you all up before I go fill up near SOL
just forget the egos before entering dont wanna make EA*RTH humans seem like they are better then any other Creator creations.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

You can never underestimate being intimate with where you live.

For instance, you live in Arkansas... just a hop, skip, and a jump from Missourri... and the Ozarks... where Frank and Jesse James and a host of Civil War bushwackers roamed. I would be willing to bet that there are caves out there that do not show up on any map... ravines and gulleys and hollers that would be perfect for camo, hiding caches of food and weapons, escape routes, and some caves so deep that they would be ideal in the event of a nuclear scenario.

Plus, you are adjacent or near to the Mississippi River and the Red River and Missourri River... sources of food, water, transportation...

Plus, you still get warm summers, relatively mild winters... when compared to Canada or Alaska... good growing season. Heck, I would stay in Arkansas.

Lastly, I would be willing to bet there is more than a few folks that think like us... practically a not so small army.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The well prepared should consider cold climates abundant with water & food sources. Make nature your friend, the cold will keep the riff raff away
edit on 15-10-2012 by GeneralMishka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I'm assuming we're proposing that it will be an internal crisis rather than the American nation fighting an outside force. If it's an outside force it will be easier, because the people will ignore their own divisions to be American. But if it's an internal crisis, the divisions will grow to become battle lines.

This might be a contentious opinion, but I would say the first thing to consider would be political affiliation. You can guarantee that with the way the US people are divided on race, economy and political opinion, that will all be highlighted more and more. Just look at the division you have right now in the US, without there even being a major crisis. If something does happen, you can expect the left/right paradigm to be one of the major factors.

You don't want to be amongst a group that is volatile. If you're left or right leaning, you want to pick a group that has the same values as you, because it will be a MAJOR issue in a collapse of the US.

Obviously, you'll want to keep out of the cities and large population centers. These will be hotbeds for gang warfare and violence.

You'd probably also want to look at places that don't have militias. Many people think that a militia will be on their side when the SHTF, but Human nature takes over and there will be egos and people stealing power from others. Heavily armed men on ego trips and fighting to be the leader will result in more internal violence than outward defense of a community.

There's a lot of space in the US, and I would probably gather a group together and head for the hills. I guess it depends on the nature of the scenario, but I think under almost all circumstances it would be wiser to head to a mountainous region, heavily forested, where you can find a small place to hold out, perhaps with a small town within a days walk so that you can check on the situation when things calm down.

Although there might be others with the same plan, that's not always a bad thing. If you happen to find a place and another small group is just over the hill, you at least know you have some things in common and would probably end up joining forces in defense of the collective - those with deep-rooted political views would probably be in the cities and towns fighting a war for supremacy, while those leaving to remain safe on their own are more likely to be moderate.

These are just my opinions. But I think people often overlook the political aspects of a SHTF scenario when it is one of the most important things to consider, especially in a politically divided country like the US.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Theres already a system in place at Northcomm where they can determine safe places via a GPS feed of all police, military, fire, ambulance etc in real time while also being able to monitor in real time, nuclear fallout. The mysterious people at Northcomm can call out all the shots and troops movements underground from their bunkers without ever being exposed to the fallout.

So a place that is safe could change to unsafe at any given moment.

But if you are in the city and their is nuclear fallout, get out my any means necessary, because that city is about to be quaruntined,

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thank you for your responces. I will keep all the good information posted, and rely on other skillful and common sense people to keep positive and make sure humanity doesnt disappear. Ya the government has those nice bunkers deep underground, but I think if its a cosmic event, like a gamma ray burst, or x-class solar flare, they wont make it to those bunkers. the only way the elite will make it to those D.U.M.B.s is if they have prior knowlegde of an impending catastrophe. So if you start to see the elite disappearing around the world, hunker down, bc they are either going to wipe most of humanity off the map, or know of some cosmic event heading towards earth.

Humanity needs to band together, and the strong will survive.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
NOWHERE. You've already been herded up! The system is already set up. Good luck and God Speed!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Hi glassbender. I was briefed on this contingency for "continuity of government" plan at northcomm many years ago. Specifically, it is a contingency plan for a "dirty bomb" or several of them.

Also, the murals at DIA seem to present the same information.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
blogs.westword.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Seems like a good place to be would depend on what kind of disaster happened. I think Arkansas would be a good place, generally speaking due to landscape and climate. You are lucky to already be there. What season did you do your week-long trial run? Have you tried it in the middle of summer and also the middle of winter?

Sal

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
stalking up on dehydrated food

Easy,now! Don't spook 'im!

Sorry, Bud, I just couldn't pass that up.
Seriously, though, you might want to consider also that civilization might collapse slowly. Rome wasn't finished when Atilla sacked it, that was just one more bump on the road to Endsville. In other words, have an eye on ever-increasing poverty as a possibility when planning ahead.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Sounds to me like you have it covered pretty damn good! Are there specific reasons why you are feeling maybe your bug out location is not the best place?

Most of the major mountain ranges are going to be safest places as opposed to the cities and rural areas on the flat lands. Provided you are prepared to survive in those climates. The general consensus seems to be 2 hrs from a large population center.

No it will not be easy so you need to keep improving your location to make it as easy as possible. A

Are you planning to take your solar system with you to the bug out location? That is fine but what of it gets damaged in route or even has to be left behind at some point? You should have one at the location. You should also have a second location or a fall back location near yours so if you do get over run you will have a place to regroup that has weapons and resources to take back your base of operations. etc.

You might want to live at your location for several months at a time to develop garden farm and fruit tree areas etc. The more you can have in place before you get there the better. Ideally one family lives there pretty much full time...

Just some of my thoughts...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Well sounds like your already off to good start. But as they say location is everything.
I may be biased but I live in michigan I think we have a pretty good setup here.
No matter where you stand in michigan the furthest you can be is 85 miles from a great lake. So if you go any direction but south you will have unlimited water and food after your trip.

And if you need food and water on you trip you will never be more than 6 miles from a river, stream, inland lake. You wont need to worry about crowding as the state is surronded by water on three sides, so no refugees from other states fighting for resources.

However I would suggest the lower pennisula due to the easier winters than what those yuppers face. But probaly the more northern part of the Lp due to lower population density and more abundant natural resources.

There are plenty of other reason such as hardly any large predators maybe a small black bear or two the more north you go but there are not alot honestly. The only poisonious animal is a michigan rattler but the bite will really only make you sick. Lots of deer and smaller trap animals.

Like I said im biased, im sure there are lots of good places just my 2¢
Sorry about typos will try to edit later my break is about up.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Every survival scenario is going to be unique as to where might be the best place to go, including the option of just staying put which could be the best opportunity in many given situations as likely the case in an economic collapse. Still, most of the skills we should develop would be helpful come what may, not the least being the ability to improvise and think on our feet.

Although we should all have the skills for raw survival, since the possibility of being stranded in a remote location has presented a greater likelihood of occurring, our accessibility to network with our neighbors may yield greater dividends than trying to go it alone. I believe this to be especially true if a collapse of society is the most likely scenario. If worse comes to worse then a go-it-alone strategy might be the ultimate last resort, but that seems more extreme and less likely.

It may come to the point of having to fend-off attacks and mis-deeds from governmental and quasi-governmental forces. There is a possibility of our soil being subjected by foreign forces, in which case the loners could be easily picked-off while the rest will be expected to passively remain in their town and city homes - another situation where networking within our communities would be advantageous. This scenario could also come into play with a forced enactment of Agenda 21 where wilderness would be off-limits and to remain there one would need to be more covert and elusive than Sasquatch.

Living in the tropical highlands I am not too worried about basic survival. Water is plentiful, food sources abound even if much of that is not typically a part of our regular diet - though likely healthier choices than we are accustomed to, and the climate is mild year-around. My homes here have underground water storage that can provide about six months of drinking and sanitary water without drastic conservation efforts, long enough for for services to be restored or to pass through dry seasons to when capturing rain water can be the valid fall-back.

Man against the elements is a scenario we should prepare ourselves for just on the chance that our routine travel plans could be suddenly interrupted and we are faced with coping. Keep a few survival essentials in your car at all times along with an extra lighter in your glove box and blanket in the trunk. But if there are ominous signs of a societal collapse coming we need to examine other methods of coping. Paper money could become valueless but gold and silver may not be the best products of exchange then either.

Foodstuffs may be nice for trade but we can exist on weeds and insects too. Tools, medicines, and other supplies may be more in-demand. Vice products like alcohol and tobacco may be good products for exchange especially if we find ourselves subjects of foreign invasion herded and confined to our neighborhoods. Even toilet paper could become more valuable than gold in many circumstances. Maintaining a quality of life may become the bigger essential than just maintaining life itself. There are many variables to consider and I believe giving thought in other directions that most of these topics don't ordinarily give much consideration to would be to our greater advantage.

edit on 15-10-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join