It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 years after Cuban missile crisis: closer than you thought to World War III

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Fifty years after the Cuban missile crisis, many people find it hard to believe that the confrontation could have pushed the US and Soviet Union to nuclear war. Robert F. Kennedy’s newly released papers remind us why this was the most dangerous moment in recorded history.

My fellow Americans, with a heavy heart, and in necessary fulfillment of my oath of office, I have ordered – and the United States Air Force has now carried out – military operations with conventional weapons only, to remove a major nuclear weapons build-up from the soil of Cuba.”
These are the words President Kennedy almost delivered in October 1962 announcing what could have been World War III. This draft speech is among several thousand drafts, letters, and handwritten notes from Robert F. Kennedy’s personal files that have just last week been opened at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

related

www.miamiherald.com...

I was eight years old when when this went down, I remember my father sealing basement windows and stocking food. 2 time a day at school we had CD drills....Yeah hide under our desks...GEEZ!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
People mock Duck and Cover, or hide under your desks, but if you are outside the fireball/ionizing prompt radiation/ and upper psi blast radius, it could save your life from the flying debris. If you are upwind of the detonation and outside those zones.....you will likely survive if you took cover.

We took up duck and cover again in the early 80's due to the rising tensions while Reagan was in office. They told us it was "tornado" drills, but I overheard some teachers talking.....

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I remember those drills and watching my parents glued to the TV waiting. Brochures on how to build bomb shelters in our magazine rack were common also.

I remember the fear as I realized for the first time in my life, I was seeing my parents afraid. JFK had the ears of the entire nation. The whole country stopped and waited.

Over time it evolved from the duck and cover drills under our desk to having us all go to the hall and cover there for more protection. We would often have drills where the sirens would sound and we would meet our parents at the shelter. Scary times to be a kid.

People do need to look to history and realize just what a horror nuclear war would be.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
We were a lot closet than that, a lot more recently than then. Two incidents immediately come to mind. We had a valid launch order for our alert EC-135, with the Battle Staff onboard. That NEVER happened in an exercise. During an exercise, they scrambled, went out one taxiway, and in the next one. This time they halted all flights and launched, which was supposed to only happen when missiles were flying. It turned out to be a faulty computer at Norad.

The second time, a Soviet missile commander was given the codes and ordered to launch, because a missile had been detected in flight from Europe. Since it was only one, he choose to disobey and wait a few minutes to get a better picture of where it was heading. It turned out to be a space launch, but no one had passed the word to the right people in Moscow.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
They sent us home from school that 1st day...to "be with your families". We thought that it was our last day on Earth. I wont forget that day...and when Kennedy was shot. We all thought too that was the "1st strike" of an enemy attack...and they sent us home then as well.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This ordeal never made any sense to me.

So there are missiles on Cuba. Okay.

We handle it with threats?

If they were going to use the missiles threatening them wouldnt have worked.

The fear of nuclear war is an irrational one. Even in a leader of a nation is a hellbent psychopath there are still plenty of hands between the mythical maniacal super villain and the actual launching of a missile.

As much as we would like to believe that there are suicidal lunatics with their shaky fingers hovering over the button that just isnt the case or we would have experienced at least one attack in this last half century.

MAD works because no one can win and even in the cases of fanatics who dont care to win there would be no one left to worship their great leaders struggles in an endless conflict with the great satan nor would there be resources or land left to conquer.

Castro never would have fired them. Kruschev never would have fired them. Ahmadinejad wont ever fire them. NK is a bit of an anomaly but I am reasonably sure they would never fire them.

Barring some sort of accidental launching nuclear war is mythical for all intents and purposes and will never happen nor would it have in the past.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Our s school windows had not been opened in a long time.. It took some of the bigger boys(elementary school) to get the windows open. We then had to rub soap on the window slides to make them easy to open... We did watch duck and cover. We pushed the large tables up against the out side windows after raising the windows. We were all under the tables. I guess sirens would let us know that we needed to open the windows and move the tables and stuff. I do not remember moving into the halls but maybe that did not stick with me.

I always figured we were closer than was let on, later in life when you are old enough to consider such things.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
here's the story I've heard. We know tptb are eugenicists who's major goal is population reduction. that's the number 1 goal. The gorgia guide stones indicate the opitmal number they want is 500 million only left alive.

Since the start of the cold war there's been countless near incidences of a nuclear first strike. Actual commands sent to subs telling them to "fire away!" but the sub captains are often hardened knowledgeable ventrans, so they don't have a hair trigger and often avoided the launch. Other strange incidences of fire commands sent to silo's, and they were about to launch when out of no where the launch codes scrambled and temporarily disabling the launch. Apparently shocking high command to have to to reevaluate and they abored. I know that sounds absolutely nuts, but look it up ok. So in total from what I've heard there's been like 50 near misses of nuclear first strike being avoided.

But from what I understand there's like a faction of the elitists who just want to get a war going, and then get into there bunkers and watch on there HD tv. While partying it up with there friends. I know that sounds crazy but I'm not joking. These are the most evil people on earth. there number 1 goal is population reduction. Look it up!!!

So they want to get WW3 going asap and then just get into there bunkers with all there toys and girls and hunker down for a while until most of humanity is dead. At that point emerge to start the world g--v in a dictator like fashion. At which people everyone left alive will be so starved, so utterly desperate, that they'll welcome in the NWO with open arms. They'll be more than happy to get chipped (mark of the beast) if that means they'll finally get power again, finally have regular food supplies, and a bit of normality come back.

But my thought is that I think the game plan has changed.....

I think the new way will be emp's. Not nukes. As emp's would just wipe out the power. With that down most people would be dead in about 2 yrs. Or lets not rule out nukes for every major city (get rid of most people) and emp's for the rest so no one has electronics or power. So they end up starving to death in no time flat.

I know that all sounds doom and gloom. I mean I wish I had more positive news. But lets face it I mean it is a reality that is lurking somewhere in the shadows. God forbid it would ever happen but look at 911. Everyone thought things were perfectly safe and then it happened without warning. Now we got the whole Iran situation boiling up. That could lead to ww3. It's just crazy. Like I'm serious when I keep telling people that they need to get to know God now as anything could happen. Everything else pales in comparison in your life to that.
Anyway lets hope for the best.

Watch...

edit on 18-10-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
This ordeal never made any sense to me.

So there are missiles on Cuba. Okay.

We handle it with threats?

If they were going to use the missiles threatening them wouldnt have worked.

The fear of nuclear war is an irrational one. Even in a leader of a nation is a hellbent psychopath there are still plenty of hands between the mythical maniacal super villain and the actual launching of a missile.

As much as we would like to believe that there are suicidal lunatics with their shaky fingers hovering over the button that just isnt the case or we would have experienced at least one attack in this last half century.

MAD works because no one can win and even in the cases of fanatics who dont care to win there would be no one left to worship their great leaders struggles in an endless conflict with the great satan nor would there be resources or land left to conquer.

Castro never would have fired them. Kruschev never would have fired them. Ahmadinejad wont ever fire them. NK is a bit of an anomaly but I am reasonably sure they would never fire them.

Barring some sort of accidental launching nuclear war is mythical for all intents and purposes and will never happen nor would it have in the past.

Nuclear war will never happen?
Go tell that to the people of Nagasaki and Hiroshima whose cities were annihilated by nuclear weapons dropped by America.

There was no need to use them except to end the war sooner.
Yet they were used.

We haven't had a world war since then.

If, or when, the third world war happens, with so many nations now armed with nuclear weapons and many more with the capability to develop them quickly(Japan, Australia, Germany etc), the likelihood that a nuclear exchange will occur is very high.
One flashpoint would be Pakistan-India.
The world powers would have more restraint, but if they are loosing the war, why wouldn't they use nuclear weapons to turn the tide in their favor?

Nuclear war is not only probable, but an almost certainty in the next world war.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Yeah, we seem to swap one world-ending political car-crash for another. People often forget that the Cold War and Cuban Missile Crisis happened in living memory. Ironically, the 1950s British plans for mutually assured destruction made reference to the impossibility of defending against a single aircraft being crashed with a war-head aboard.

I'm old enough to remember the Berlin Wall coming down and was young enough to naively think the world was on the edge of peace.

top topics

join