It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic Sea Ice Hits Record ... High?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
People scream constantly about Global Warming. Then this happens. Wheres your warming? All I see if Global neutral (Ba dum tss) no, but seriously, unbelievable, there is absolutely NO proof that Global Warming exists, this only confirms that it doesn't. But, I bet theres still idiots screaming "ZUMG B CARFUL DEWD GLOBAL WARMIN GUN GET U"

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by deadeyedick

If ice is above sea level then melts or breaks off then that would have some effect on levels.

No.
If ice is floating (which is the definition of sea ice) it is displacing the same amount of water. It doesn't matter how much "above sea level" the top of it is.

edit on 10/15/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Although true, the salinity of the ocean would change depending on how much fresh water ice melts.
edit on 16-10-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TehSlenderMan
People scream constantly about Global Warming. Then this happens. Wheres your warming? All I see if Global neutral (Ba dum tss) no, but seriously, unbelievable, there is absolutely NO proof that Global Warming exists, this only confirms that it doesn't. But, I bet theres still idiots screaming "ZUMG B CARFUL DEWD GLOBAL WARMIN GUN GET U"

You need to reread the article. Or Phage's posts. Or perhaps the last line in this quote: "not nearly enough to offset melting in the Arctic, which broke records just weeks ago."

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

Seems I missed that. Regardless, I personally think Global Warming is still a load of crap. I haven't seen any real life proof that it exists. And what I have seen when it was claimed to be Global Warming, was simply anything else BUT Global Warming. I guess if it does exist, we will all know soon enough?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Doesn't sea ice have the same affect be it Arctic or Antarctic?

Not really, no.

First, arctic ice is permanent (more or less; recently, much less). Antarctic sea ice is southern hemisphere winter only.

Second, since arctic ice exists during the summer, it reflects the summer sun into space. Antarctic ice doesn't do that since it doesn't exist during the summer.

Third, melting sea ice, artic or antarctic, does not raise the sea level, it lowers it.

Fourth, it is the melting antarctic LAND ice that is the dangerous melt. Melting land ice does raise the sea level, about 1mm for each 360Gt per year. Current studies show Antarctica losing ice mass at a rate between 100Gt and 300Gt per year.

Fifth, Antarctic sea ice is growing because the water in the Southern Ocean is freshening from increased rain and snowfall and as land ice melts into it, allowing it to freeze at a higher temperature and reducing the mixing of the warm and cold layers. Furthermore the ozone hole affects the surface weather patterns producing windier ice-forming conditions.

So to answer your question: No, sea ice doesn't do the same thing in the North and the South.

Reducing sea ice in the arctic means the north is warming.

Increased sea ice in the antarctic means the south is warming.

Remember, the arctic sea ice is historically PERMANENT; the antarctic sea ice is NON-PERMANENT.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by network dude

If you read the whole article, you will find some amazingly strange wording on how this report confirms that global warming is still an issue.

That "amazingly strange wording" is how intellectuals speak.
It makes perfect sense.

Cool! Being that I am not an intellectual, I remain a bit confused......

Despite frequent headlines about a warming planet, melting sea ice, and rising oceans, climate analysts pointed to a seeming bright spot this week: During Southern Hemisphere winters, sea ice in the Antarctic, the floating chunks of frozen ocean water, is actually increasing.

Like here, where the article starts out and seems to point to a bright spot in the doom and gloom of global warming!

Then you have this.....

If the world was warming up uniformly, you would expect the sea ice cover to decrease in the Antarctic, but it's not. The reason for that is because the Antarctic is cooler than the rest of the world. It's warming up as well but not as fast as other places.

which makes sense, but needs an explanation......which is......

So you have the warming world and a cold Antarctica, and the difference between the two is increasing. That makes the winds around Antarctica move a little bit faster. There's also a difference that comes from the depletion of ozone in the stratosphere in the Antarctic, which makes the stratosphere colder.

OK....so we are back to the depletion of the ozone layer being the cause of this?

That's the leading explanation for what we're seeing in the Antarctic, but you have to acknowledge that the effect is very small.

I can see how an intellectual such as yourself might fully grasp the gravity of this subject, but as i said in the OP, I am just on the political side. Go Republicans!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Here is the deal in simple terms, Antarctic sea ice is growing, because the ice on the land is melting into the sea.

The Southern Ocean is actually warming faster than any other ocean, including the Arctic.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Must be those damn republicans!

They say Obama did better in this debate.

We should see some short term melting of the southern Ice and more ice growing in the north between now and the next debate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join