It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cardboard bicycle can change the world, says Israeli inventor

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Well he'll have the asian market cornered...... We all know Americans are too fat and lazy to ride bikes! JK JK

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

We ride bicycles built of Big Mac boxes here!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Just remember, if you support the ongoing boycott of Israeli goods, you can't get one.

Remember, all of that money goes to help oppress the poor Palestinians.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The norm for bikes went from getting broken or stolen since my childhood to broken, stolen, or burnt lol.

if his invention fails atleast he'll have plenty to build a cardboard mansion to live amongst the homeless

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Hate to be could in a bushfire on one, be like a cartoon..

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
Actually, most of you don't realize it, but lots of planes that you fly in are made mostly of cardboard; especially military planes that aren't detectable by radar.

The cardboard forms the walls between layers of laminate materials, like kevlar and carbon fiber. Special adhesives and compounds are added to certain areas to strengthen them in order to bond metal parts to in order to hold other metal parts.

Cardboard is very strong and very light, and can get be really thick; especially when used on planes. One inch to three inches in thickness on a plane is common.
Ummmm......Also, when you saturate the cardboard with an epoxy, which is no doubt what this inventer did with his bike, it (cardboard) is very strong. There are sailing yachts made from this method.

YouSir

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This confuses me a bit.

I'd rather recycle paper for writing than for riding. Steel is one of the most recyclable materials on earth. We gather scrap metals in loads because of this and re-smelt them in smelting plants to be used as steel again.

Paper, once contaminated - say... soaked - is much harder to recycle. Also, recycled paper that's supposed to be used in writing has a competitor in resources. Such that if more recycled paper is used in this, we might cut more trees for writing instead.
edit on 16-10-2012 by headb because: no

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by headb

Isn't the first step in recycling paper is to wet it, turn it into pulp? I'm not an expert - just wondering

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Think i'll just stick to my dodge ram, it looks better. Besides, bikes without shock absorbers are hell on a man's testicles. I'd rather not go bouncing down the road with my fused hips aching and banging my nads on industrialized treated cardboard, it would be the equivaqlent of being constantly punched in the nads until you reached your destination.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I USED TO BE A BICYCLE MECHANIC AND I AM UTTERLY APPALLED BY THE THOUGHT OF A CARDBOARD BICYCLE! THAT'S COMPLETELY NUTS! WHAT AM I GONNA WORK ON IT WITH? A BOX CUTTER? I'M GONNA GO TAKE A WALK AROUND OUSIDE, LET THIS SINK IN A BIT!

Whew, allright. I can see the concept of an eco advantage here, even though i think cardboard is made out of trees. With proper Research and Developement, Prototyping and Testing it could become a reality. Lot's of work involved though, i wish him ...THE INVENTIN' ISREALI ... best of luck!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Yeah, ok I'll buy a paper bike! What would it take to stay on the road for a year? 100-200 bikes?

BS plain and simple!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

I do agree, Donkey Dean. I like the spirit of invention- so much is gained from it and I like it when people go ahead and make something despite naysayers-- but this one is going nowhere.

Disposable items only seem economical to people who can afford to buy new stuff all the time. Genuinely poor people (and anyone frugal minded) would rather have something that will last and can be easily repaired. These bikes might make money for the manufacturers, but only at the long-term expense of the poor.

I also question the ecology angle with it. Cardboard can be recycled to make more cardboard-- good, but the cardboard in these bikes is treated with epoxy and would probably not be easily recycled. So, it creates unrecyclable waste.

Decent quality metal bikes can be bought quite cheaply new, and very cheaply second-hand. Repair costs are cheap and they last for years.

I've noticed this cardboard bike story is getting trumpeted around with a lot of uncritical media play all over the place. Maybe I'm too cyncial, but I'm sensing a possible investment scam in the works.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
But... What if it rains?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

As for the Cardboard Cathedral, I just saw a video on youtube made on sept 16. They just started and the building will be finished in December. It will weigh 1,112 lbs when finished. If the congregation gets ticked off at the preacher they can steal the church!

I hope they won't be lighting many church candles when it's finished - Holy smoke!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I don't know how long lasting that is, but if it was hemp and lime, or hempstone, Roman stone, lighweight and super strong, hard, (other plant materials can be substituted), it might be really cool. But the only way to keep the prices down would be KITS, its labor that makes everything really costly.

I would only do kits and instruction manuals.

Also, no plastic parts.

www.guitarsite.com...

Guitars made from hempstone. Homes are too. Henry Ford made a vehicle from hemp and other plant materials, stronger than steel.
edit on 17-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
This is what the world needs! This! Not you are one, peace and harmony messages, think happy thoughts mumbo jumbo, blah, blah, blah...THIS MAKES ME HAPPY! This is what we really and truly need! People like this!

Invent, create, recycle, reuse!
edit on 15-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

Science is awesome.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by colsislander
It would be even better and stronger if made of Hemp

Yeah...or carbon...

sec.line

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Even with such an awesome thread as this going...

the rest of the world wants this...

www.thedaily.com...

a designer $14,000 bike that isn't even made to be special...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join