It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cardboard bicycle can change the world, says Israeli inventor

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I have thought of some cool ways to make life easier but this latest invention make me shake my head due to its simplicity, cost efficiency and life changing attributes.

A bicycle made almost entirely of cardboard has the potential to change transportation habits from the world's most congested cities to the poorest reaches of Africa, its Israeli inventor says.

What if it rains, you say?

In testing the durability of the treated cardboard, Gafni said he immersed a cross-section in a water tank for several months and it retained all its hardened characteristics. Once ready for production, the bicycle will include no metal parts, even the brake mechanism and the wheel and pedal bearings will be made of recycled substances, although Gafni said he could not yet reveal those details due to pending patent issues.

Gafni owns several top-of-the-range bicycles which he said are worth thousands of dollars each, but when his own creation reaches mass production, it should cost no more than about $20 to buy. The cost of materials used are estimated at $9 per unit.

Cardboard bicycle can change the world

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
For $20... I'd buy one.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Cool

S&F

It will be interesting to see how he manages to make a recycled bearing that is not metal.

Hardened steel is normally used to make bearings and even then the life is limited.

How long will a plastic bearing last for?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Gafni owns several top-of-the-range bicycles which he said are worth thousands of dollars each, but when his own creation reaches mass production, it should cost no more than about $20 to buy. The cost of materials used are estimated at $9 per unit.

Those thousand dollar bikes were probably made from $9 worth of material too.
He seems to have an awful lot of work into it, which is the same reason why those others are expensive.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Greetings to all, im a noob here as far as postings go although i have been perving ATS for quite a long time now (can i have a tin foil hat please?)

Sounds like a really good idea this cardboard bike malarky thingummyjig...

Although where i live i wouldn't like to park it in my garage as i wouldn't find it the next day... the mice would eat it!

Warmest to all

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is what the world needs! This! Not you are one, peace and harmony messages, think happy thoughts mumbo jumbo, blah, blah, blah...THIS MAKES ME HAPPY! This is what we really and truly need! People like this!

Invent, create, recycle, reuse!
edit on 15-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Actually, most of you don't realize it, but lots of planes that you fly in are made mostly of cardboard; especially military planes that aren't detectable by radar.

The cardboard forms the walls between layers of laminate materials, like kevlar and carbon fiber. Special adhesives and compounds are added to certain areas to strengthen them in order to bond metal parts to in order to hold other metal parts.

Cardboard is very strong and very light, and can get be really thick; especially when used on planes. One inch to three inches in thickness on a plane is common.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I hereby dub this creation the "IKEA bike" ... sign me up for 5!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I love how all the engineers told him it couldn't be done and he did it! So often people are stopped cold by "experts" saying it can't happen.

I sure do wonder what the finish is as here I have a wood birdhouse outside with shellac on it and it rots!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Awesome; I'll definitely buy one! I had to send this to Pee-wee Herman of course!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Looks awesome and love that its mostly made of recycled material. I'd buy one for the cause and the be-cause no doubt! Hope to see this thing eventually come to life on a larger scale one day

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
To the person who said he wouldn't be able to make bearings without metal, they said recycled materials, so I imagine it's recycled steel they are using. No way it's a cardboard bearing if you want to ride it more than a few miles.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Actually, most of you don't realize it, but lots of planes that you fly in are made mostly of cardboard; especially military planes that aren't detectable by radar. The cardboard forms the walls between layers of laminate materials, like kevlar and carbon fiber. Special adhesives and compounds are added to certain areas to strengthen them in order to bond metal parts to in order to hold other metal parts.

My understanding is even a thin layer of metal hidden within wood or cardboard is susceptible to a radar hit. So are these planes you are talking about not detectable by radar or harder for radar to detect?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

He says it's strong, but what kind of g-force it can handle. I would be jumping off and over things. I have to...I'm a BMXican! It doesn't matter. For only $20, I can buy another if it crumbles.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It can make travel easier..

How can it change the world? lol

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Great story and nice short film. Now...I must go create!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
It can make travel easier..

How can it change the world? lol

People that couldn't afford a bicycle before can now be mobile.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Both. Surfaces reflect radar.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
For 20 bucks, id buy 2. how awesome is that?!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It shows the potential of cardboard construction. It could lead to the production of many different items beside bicycles.

Also it would make a fantastic way to teach industrial students manufacturing techniques, so as a learning tool it is already outstanding, whether or not the bicycle idea takes off.
edit on 15-10-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join