It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paramedic Punished for Giving Blanket to Cold Elderly Fire Survivor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hi,

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read....news.yahoo.com...-id

A number of offenses can get you in trouble at work: slacking off, not being a team player, tardiness, and so on. It's understandable if you're reprimanded for committing one of these. But a Detroit paramedic is in hot water for what seems to have been an act of kindness -- giving a blanket to a man who was cold.

Two weeks ago, a house caught fire, and the elderly man who lived there was brought outside wearing only his underwear. Paramedic Jeff Gaglio gave him a blanket. Then on Tuesday, Gaglio was informed that the department was bringing him up on charges for his action. Jerald James, chief of the Emergency Medical Service (EMS), who is responsible for Gaglio's punishment, said in defense of the charges, "We can't have an employee who feels that they have a right to give away state property without getting prior approval."

Here's the kicker.

the department did not pay for the blanket. The one that Gaglio gave away had been donated.

It's just another example of people having no common sense! I wonder if the guy who is punishing the paramedic would feel the same way if he had been the one receiving the blanket.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This really surprised me when I read about it the other day. This is what firefighters do. It's part of their job.

I don't understand what the problem is.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Easy solution: Fire the bureaucrat who brought the charges, and give them a bad reference.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Detroit is run by a bunch of "compasionate" leftists..............which don't realize that means they are actually a bunch of communists.....can't give away that state property now and be a good commie....

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Wow, I knew Detroit had fell upon hard times, but they can't afford to give a blanket to a cold, elderly fire survivor?

That is pretty sad. Especially when they probably throw the blankets away when the get dirty anyway.

link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

You are right...the paramedic being punished for giving a cold person a blanket...is ridiculous!

Honestly...to me the paramedic was only doing his job. I think that a blanket was certainly needed.; and getting in trouble for a blanket that was donated is really well...nutty behavior!

The paramedic's superior is cray-cray...I'm just saying.

link   

When the state is given the duty to do the charity for society, the state decides who gets it and under what circumstances. I suspect this is just one of many reasons why passing all our responsibilities to the state is wrong.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: ...

Martha ... MARTHA! (what!
) Where's mah RIFLE!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is disgraceful.

I have served as a volunteer EMT for more years than I care to mention and have responded to treat patients at fires and the like.

I would like to know if the EMS chief in this case is a bureaucrat or an actual certified responder himself.

The reason I ask this is because the blanket was an integral part of the treatment of a patient. Just as integral as the gloves the EMT wore, the oxygen masks he used, the stretcher he placed patients on and the ambulance he transported the patients with.

It's really quite simple and even a trainee in the beginning stages of an EMT class can vouch for the importance of environmental emergencies on scenes such as a fire. For a patient (in this case an elderly patient) to be standing outside of an emergency scene without a proper amount of clothing on is inexcusable because it is creating a potential emergency (in this case hypothermia) and the Paramedic on scene was DOING HIS JOB by using the tools at hand to treat the patient.

Failure to give the patient a blanket could have been deemed negligence.

This "Chief" and whoever he is taking marching orders from must be removed ASAP as they are clearly a danger to the patients served by the EMS system of Detroit.

That man could have died if not for the appropriate actions of the Paramedic. I assure you, from experience in the field, hypothermia is nothing to play with.

The savings accrued by firing this idiot can be used to pay for many blankets.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

I was hoping that the Detroit FD is buried in donated blankets after this.

I just sent an email expressing my disgust. This is just too much.

[email protected]
edit on 10/15/2012 by rtyfx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
reply to post by Djarums

I was hoping that the Detroit FD is buried in donated blankets after this.
They'd probably call the cops to arrest the people donating the blankets.

It makes as much sense as what happened in the original story.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I think there is more to this story. Ten bucks says this is personal.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I think there is more to this story. Ten bucks says this is personal.
Good call.

Probably some supervisor looking to discipline someone that is boinking his ex, or something like that.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Reply to post by cavalryscout

that is insane. what would have happened if he didnt give the poor guy a blanket? im more and more disgusted buy certain people every day. im afraid it will never end.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

join