It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shhh...Don't Rant.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, I can say this much that I know for sure. The forum software I use doesn't have any options for reviving a post after it is has been removed. After that, it really is gone for good. I don't know if that's how things work around here on the backside but I would think that ATS could afford to archive posts properly and recall them as needed. I imagine this place generates crazy money.

Crazy money.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

"Closed for review" stamp or any "closed" for that matter. I have never seen it happen tho.

To be fair, I have seen a couple of threads that was once closed, re opened again. It does indeed happen.

vvv

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Noncents

As with other sites I am involved with I know that threads a generally not deleted at all. Most times they are placed into a trash bin and kept for site stat reasons and I am sure the ATS trash bin has got to be a double wide dumpster by now lol, but from what I understand, removed threads are place in a Que in the back broom closet next to the water cooler to be hashed over its final outcome. This may or may not be true, but like Jude said, I have never seen a thread returned to the boards either.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Agarta because: added the word not

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I've typed out a few rants, only to delete them before posting.

Too many of the past, outstanding contributors have been banned, for no visible reason. Sometimes it feels like they got too close to a truth, that we're not allowed to know yet.

It's often a nasty surprise when you see their names, without their avatar, sad even.

I also think the site has actually gone downhill with the loss of those people. It's a loss to all of us when a really good contributor has been banned. Especially if it was over a silly argument behind the scenes.

So, yes, shhhh.....

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The mods closed a 14-page thread yesterday presumably because one person made a racist remark.

Instead of censoring that one post and reopening the thread they censored and left the whole thread closed. They didn't bother explaining why.

Power trip.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Jude, I have been around here much longer than my join date implies. In that time, I have noticed that ATS has a few areas that members who either have a high post/star/flag count, longevity, or usually both, wander into. I have affectionately dubbed these areas the "twilight zone", and the Bermuda triangle".

Occasionally, members fitting the above description will wander into the twilight zone. This is an area where mysterious things happen, the member becomes bewildered, and they start questioning "reality", or the lack thereof. Once in this area, tread carefully. Because those who have wandered into this area frequently get sucked into the triangle, from which there is no return...

Some very well known and prolific members have been sucked into the triangle, never to grace the pages of ATS again.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Jude, I shouldn't be posting in this thread or adding any more wood to the fire so I'm posting just as another member. A member, I should add who's been here for years and has no axe to grind with you...either now or in the past. I've had my warns and had a thread trashed and closed.

Now and then, I can be a little harsh and often regret it later.

What I have to say now, I'll say very carefully because I am not responding as staff or as someone against you. I hope this is clear and you can try and picture me smiling and friendly.

Here goes. You appear very angry about the Pets Forum thread being trashed and this has escalated to a sense that you are being denied the ability to post your ideas and threads as you see fit. You're suggesting there's some untoward conspiracy at work. A staff consensus to keep you down.

As far as I know, the original Pet Forum thread is still active which means there is no conspiracy against you. As we're both long-time members, we both know that only a thread in BAN can be re-posted in another subject forum. No doubt there have been exceptions, but I personally don't know of any. Yours was a repost of the Pet Forum idea and hence was trashed as an unnecessary duplicate according to the rule and custom we all know well. In contrast, if your 2nd thread had stayed alive, it would be unfair on other members (me and you too) to have yours be a special exception.

Now, as far as I remember, you've been a long-standing member with a good reputation and a lot of friends here. You're way more active than me in the social side of ATS and encourage others in the Stories and Debates forums. As they say, 'A Member in Good Standing.' A good guy.

Again, as a member, I personally don't see the need for a Pet of Animal Forum. Just my opinion. I like it the way it is. I *would* like a purist archaeology forum for academic subjects, but I can't accuse the site of censoring me for not giving it to me. I could rightfully post a request in BBQ, but I can't post a request anywhere else. I mean, I *could* and yet it would e moved or removed.

Do you want to diminish your standing by becoming egregious over a Pet Forum? There isn't a conspiracy against posting pet and animal threads on ATS...I've taken part in many and posted 3 myself. There isn't a conspiracy against you posting threads unless they're duplicates and/or not in BAN.

I hope you read this as a friendly post without ill-intent. Its intention is a simple 'C'mon Jude, don't blow it over a Pet Forum!' I also hope you appreciate the fact that I'm stepping a little out of line by posting and when my [ mod] tags are off, I know I might regret it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

As I took a step back last night and thought more on it I can see that you're right and I appreciate you reaching out this way.

Thank you for your post and kindness.

Peace

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

As I took a step back last night and thought more on it I can see that you're right and I appreciate you reaching out this way.

Peace

See there? Feel better now?

You're animal Jude. I just don't know whether you're a pussycat or a wolf.

Look at bright side, every time you start a thread, no matter where it is, all of a sudden it's in the Pet forum

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Originally posted by jude11

Peace

See there? Feel better now?

You're animal Jude. I just don't know whether you're a pussycat or a wolf.

Look at bright side, every time you start a thread, no matter where it is, all of a sudden it's in the Pet forum

Yes I feel better and also greatly ashamed at my posting last night. 10 too many JD shots and that's what happens.

I always try to post as a long term member should but I let my passion and JD take the controls last night.

I am also very encouraged by the support of my suggestion in my original thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have offered apologies and thank yous to the mods as well. Especially Sauron, who in retrospect showed the utmost restraint and civility to my not-so-much-the-same...assholeishness (my word, back off! :lol

And Kandinsky...a very well thought out and diplomatic post that brought it all together.

Peace

edit on 15-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You are a rude poster. You attacked and derailed this thread from the get-go, then used it to brag about your little website.

Most of us don't dance with ignorance, or those who espouse it, so unless you stop the nastiness, I expect you to fade away fairly quickly.

As far as what the OP was saying, this is the Rant section. The OP had something to say, and they said it. I agree with what Jude said. As a rule, I typically do, because Jude11 is one of the better posters on this site.

There is an unevenness concerning the moderating on this site. I suppose that is to be expected, due to the fact that there are many moderators, and they are only human. However, they should strive to keep it up to a certain standard. Uneven application of rules gives others the impression that there is favoritism, which is never good.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

You are a rude poster. You attacked and derailed this thread from the get-go, then used it to brag about your little website.

Most of us don't dance with ignorance, or those who espouse it, so unless you stop the nastiness, I expect you to fade away fairly quickly.

As far as what the OP was saying, this is the Rant section. The OP had something to say, and they said it. I agree with what Jude said. As a rule, I typically do, because Jude11 is one of the better posters on this site.

There is an unevenness concerning the moderating on this site. I suppose that is to be expected, due to the fact that there are many moderators, and they are only human. However, they should strive to keep it up to a certain standard. Uneven application of rules gives others the impression that there is favoritism, which is never good.

I truly appreciate your support in this but have to ask that you read the rest of his posts. We eventually came to what I believe is a mutual understanding once the heat cooled down.

Yes he was rude and I was equally so.

We all make these rude posts from time to time but what makes the members superior on ATS is that many times, after both sides have vented...It's back to respect.

Afterall, My rant turned around to respect and understanding of the mods and I see their posts turned to a mutual understanding as well.(once I sobered up a little

Hell, if I can do it...anyone can!

Thanks again.

Peace

edit on 15-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well i thought the pet place was a good idea and was wondering why there was no mod level involvement in the idea either way.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
Well i thought the pet place was a good idea and was wondering why there was no mod level involvement in the idea either way.

We still have a thread that is gaining momentum for the Pets/Animals Forum here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So all is not lost and even a few mods are weighing in now.

Peace

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It amuses me that the threads in question are about pets aha.

I think you've just prompted me to start chasing the staff up about long time closed threads under the "staff review" title... Some of my favorites have been closed for a couple of years, how long does it bloody take to reach a decision?!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for being cool about everything, I was a bit of a jerk last night as well. Like you said, we've all been there. And really, I think we both walked away a little bit better off for it though. Stay cool, man.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noncents
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for being cool about everything, I was a bit of a jerk last night as well. Like you said, we've all been there. And really, I think we both walked away a little bit better off for it though. Stay cool, man.

We're good.

Thanks for having an open mind and coming to a common ground with me as I with you.

This is how we gain ground and respect for one another.

Peace

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yeah, obvious when someone gets a bee in their bonnet. I've been witness firsthand to the full on absurdities of the rules of the game.

CJ
edit on 15-10-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
It amuses me that the threads in question are about pets aha.

I think you've just prompted me to start chasing the staff up about long time closed threads under the "staff review" title... Some of my favorites have been closed for a couple of years, how long does it bloody take to reach a decision?!

It does seem that a final review decision would be more understandable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join