learn more

Anti-Obama Rhetoric Frequently has Racist Overtones

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

Hello Mr I -- I'm coming at this from a very different perspective than you, but I share your frustration. I am a long-time Independent and I do not support either major party candidate, who both support the same anti-Constitutional and anti-liberty policies. But I'm an old crone now who has seen enough to know that nothing is exactly what it seems. Particularly in politics. Of course there are racists out there who hate Obama because they are racists. But never doubt that this hate is being exploited and encouraged and empowered for political means by both major parties. This is what they do. Everything is twisted and contorted and obfuscated to manipulate people emotionally. Fear and hate seem to be their weapons of choice.

For example, media and politicians want you to believe that Obama is the only presidential candidate whose eligibility has ever been questioned; and, therefore, because Obama is the only black president, it must be because he is Black. Racism. So a conscious and deliberate decision was made to under-report the truth. You brought up McCain as proof, because altho he was born in Panama, his eligibility was never challenged... but that's not true. McCain's eligibility was challenged both in 2008 and in 2000. The issue was "put to rest" in April 2008 when the Senate passed a non-binding resolution -- sponsored by both Hillary Clinton and Obama -- that "declared" McCain eligible. In 1964, when George Romney (father of Mitt Romney) and Barry Goldwater ran against each other for the Republican nomination, they were both challenged; Romney because he was born in Mexico to American citizen parents, and Goldwater because he was born in Arizona when it was still a territory. The natural born status of Chester Arthur was also challenged. These are the best known examples, but there have been others.

Neither do the PTB want you to know that many "Birthers" also consider McCain ineligible for his Panama birth, because they want you to think these people are just picking on Obama -- so they must be racist. Actually, they just hate McCain also. It's almost amusing, as the same author/work they cite -- de Vattel's "Law of Nations -- to say Obama is not a natural born citizen, expressly defines children born abroad to citizen parents in service to their country as natural born citizens. (McCain was born in Panama because his Navy father was stationed in Panama). Further, many "Birthers" also question the eligibility of Mitt Romney, because his father was born in Mexico and it is not clear if the elder Romneys were still citizens of the USA or had denounced their citizenship. Many "Birthers" also question the natural born status of Santorum, Rubio, and Jindal.

I believe it's also instructive to know that over the last 40 years, numerous bills have been introduced in Congress to define and/or re-define the term natural born citizen. Dana Rohrabacher(sp?) sponsored many of those bills. So this is not something that just suddenly popped onto everyone's radar when Obama ran for president. It has been the matter of much debate and contention in various circles for a very long time. Do not let the current public silence convince you otherwise.

Don't believe me? Good. All of this can be easily researched further and I hope you do. And if/while you do, ask yourself why you didn't already know this.... why our mainstream media have refused to do their due diligence and investigate the issue and report the full truth.... why both major parties have contributed to this lack of facts and deliberate misinformation.... why we were denied a full open and honest public discourse about this issue.... why we're left to argue amongst ourselves with no resolution possible. And then ask yourself what else they're not telling us.

Bright Blessings.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Now, I don't disagree that there is racism in some of the anti-obama rhetoric. I also think that there is as much, if not more, racism in pro-obama rhetoric.

That is just a way for you to give racist a pass.

Why do you seem so defensive of racist that are against Obama?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

John McCain was not born in the US, but on a US military base in Panama, yet his legitimacy as a presidential candidate was never disputed by the birther crowd

Maybe his father was stationed in Panama when he was serving the military or his mother. I don't know the story but I know if that happens it doesn't matter where he is born he is an american and you can't change that.

So why doesn't that apply to Obama, whose mother was a US citizen? From the records shown, Obama was born in Hawaii, although the birthers claim otherwise. But even if he weren't and was born elsewhere, say Kenya for the sake of argument, his mother is a US citizen and so he is a naturally-born US citizen, under circumstances similar to McCain's. Again, you arguing for a double standard -- which is part of my point regarding all the anti-Obama rhetoric.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like or vote for Obama because he's black. There are also plenty of people who only like and vote for Obama because he's black. The same is true for women, old people, homosexuals, Christians, and every other possible individualistic characteristic anyone has. Unfortunately this is being used as a crutch to try and answer every possible criticism against the current POTUS.

No. As I said in my OP, I don't claim all the criticism of Obama is racially based and I acknowledge that I have issues wit home of his policies too; however, the lame, inane and ridiculous issues a segment of the political right keeps on bringing up do seem have a certain unspoken animus to them AND there are many examples, like the ones I cite, which are clearly racially based. Neither I or any one else I have seen kneejerkedly plays the race card at every criticism or critic of Obama. But given the strident hate of him by a segment of the US population and the outright racial slurs against him at campaign rallies and in e-mails by GOP politicians, it is fair to say that a good portion of it has to do with his race. And I am calling out this racist rhetoric.

Sure, there is identity politics going on. African Americans vote for Obama a bit more (95-98%) than Democrats in general (about 90%). And most other ethnic groups generally vote for candidates of their ethnicity. BUT the campaign rhetoric against Romney is -- for the most part -- not about his race or his religion. Are Democrats sending around e-mails with jokes about Romney's Mormonism? Not that I am aware of -- and please point me to any such news articles if you find them. At Obama rallies is there imagery in signs or other iconography slurring Romney's religion or race? Not that I'm aware of. Are Democrats saying we are going to send Romney back to Utah or Mexico (the latter being where his relatives are from and the former being known as the home of Mormonism)? No. Talking about sending Obama back to Kenya is definitey racist, while talking about sending him back to Illinois, his home state, clearly is not.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I am not a fan of this Admin whatsoever. Why? Because of the policies they promote, the lies that are told and the scandels. It's not just about Obama.

Wait a sec...I think that I've described about every Admin...ever.

But the Obama campaign is using every trick in the book to rally the base, including the worst one of using the race card.

I am not a fan of Rush Limbaugh, but I do agree with his statement he made a while back.

"I hope he fails."

I cited examples of clear-cut racism in the campaign rhetoric and imagery. That is not playing the race card; this is pointing out facts. Yes, I do suggest that the extreme vitriol against Obama suggests that racism plays a part in it, and one can claim this is playing the race card, but the facts of the matter indicate this is the case. The disrespect given to this president by his opponents has no equal in US history. No one ever talked derisively of Richard Nixon's wife, mother or grandmother, even though Nixon was quite hated by the left and Democrats. No other president's religious convictions have been challenged as has Obama's. No other president's or presidential candidate's legitimacy has been challenged as has Obama's. So why is it Obama engenders such extreme hate from his political opponents, given that his policies are generally consistent with a moderate -- even a moderate Republican? Seems there is only one possible explanation, and that is the point of this thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
provocateurs?
But there are racist idiots on both sides, doesn't mean they all are..
Also, the Kenya thing is more of a birther thing than a racist thing I would have to say.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

What is the birther thing if it isn't about race? His mom was clearly a US citizen and all official records and newspaper records would corroborate that Obama was born in Hawaii, yet there are people wanting us to believe he is not a real American, and further that he is a crypto Muslim. John McCain was definitely not born in the US, but his natural-born US citizen status was never an issue when he ran for president. What's the difference in these two cases: one of them has brown skin and has a foreign-sounding name. Call it xenophobia, if you like, but that's just a flavor of racism/bigotry.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Racism is a two way street. Black on white crime is ten times higher than white on black crime. You just don't see it much in the news because it does not fit the liberal agenda. The statement that was made about sending Obama back to Kenya is only racist because you wish it to be. Had he been born in Russia instead of Kenya they would have said send him back to Russia. There is racism on both sides. Pointing out one side does not make the racism from the other side go away.

He wasn't born in Kenya either. His father was Kenyan. You seem to be a birther, claiming that he was born in Kenya. And why has there been this whole birther movement anyway? It certainly doesn't have to do with the facts of the matter. Repeating again and again this tired trope of Obama's Kenya heritage smacks of xenophobia and bigotry, and these go hand in hand with racism.

And what about the nooses and watermelons that show up at Romney events, albeit by individuals and not the Romney campaign itself? Are these not racist iconography? Yet, all you could do is say the quote I cited involving the sending Obama back to Kenya is not racist (which is very much a debatable point). What about these other matters, including the plethora of racist anti-Obama cartoons?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

No, I don't have much worry that Obama is going to lose the election. My problem is with the undercurrent of racism in opposition to him, and I wanted to call it out.

I love it that when the political right is called out the bigoted views of many of its constituency or any other double standards it holds, its defenders claim that it is the desperation of the Democrats and the political left. Which side is desperate? Seems very few on right are touting Romney's and Ryan's good points, rather all the right can do is tear down Obama. The polls also don't back up your specious assertion. And sure, Romney's poll numbers have improved a bit since the first debate, but he is still significantly behind in most swing states, so your premise falls flat.

But keep up the same tired tropes, as there working so well for the other side.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by HostileApostle

He has released his short and long form birth certificates, multiple government agencies have declare he was born in Hawaii, even the Republicans say he was born in Hawaii.

Dude, the birther issue is a live conspiracy! What don’t you get? The reference to Kenya isn’t racist! Birthers, in general, are not racist. I would be just as worried if it was a white guy from Austria if he refused to provide evidence of his birth for so many months and claimed he was a foreign student in college. This entire issue is Obama’s fault!

Why are you so stuck on this issue? There is racism on both sides. Do I need to post some Rev Wright videos? How about Farrakhan videos in support of Obama?

Dude, are you serious? The birther issue is a live conspiracy only to very desperate and psychotic persons, e.g. Orly Taitz. But I guess if you consider The Greys and Reptilians to be live conspiracies, then the birther issue can be considered one, too.

And apparently you didn't read my thread because you don't see the inconsistency in how McCain's and Obama's natural-born US citizenship status have been treated. EVEN if Obama had been born in Kenya, the Soviet Union or Anartica, he would be a natural-born US citizen because of his mother's nationality. Or are you claiming that she was not an American either?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I am not a fan of this Admin whatsoever. Why? Because of the policies they promote, the lies that are told and the scandels. It's not just about Obama.

Wait a sec...I think that I've described about every Admin...ever.

But the Obama campaign is using every trick in the book to rally the base, including the worst one of using the race card.

I am not a fan of Rush Limbaugh, but I do agree with his statement he made a while back.

"I hope he fails."

I cited examples of clear-cut racism in the campaign rhetoric and imagery. That is not playing the race card; this is pointing out facts. Yes, I do suggest that the extreme vitriol against Obama suggests that racism plays a part in it, and one can claim this is playing the race card, but the facts of the matter indicate this is the case. The disrespect given to this president by his opponents has no equal in US history. No one ever talked derisively of Richard Nixon's wife, mother or grandmother, even though Nixon was quite hated by the left and Democrats. No other president's religious convictions have been challenged as has Obama's. No other president's or presidential candidate's legitimacy has been challenged as has Obama's. So why is it Obama engenders such extreme hate from his political opponents, given that his policies are generally consistent with a moderate -- even a moderate Republican? Seems there is only one possible explanation, and that is the point of this thread.

Does racism play a part?…but of course, and the media will continue to harp upon that as it drives ratings. They keep it out there in front of us.

And all First Ladies have suffered from mild attacks by their Husbands opponents. Mrs. Obama has been a lot more vocal about supporting her husband’s policies which in turn subjects her to such attacks. It is to be expected.

I say, bless her for supporting her guy.

But I still don’t like the direction he is taking us.

Not everyone who opposes this Admin hates Obama because he’s black. I think that the majority who oppose this Admin is due to that we dislike his policies.

I’m pretty sure I would be saying the same thing if Hillary were the POTUS. And it would not be because she’s a woman. But that is how the press would play it out.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Very compelling evidence -- a picture of a PnJ sandwich, which claim that it is racist. How does that compares to nooses and watermelons at Romney rallies?

As for the campaign button -- assuming it is legitimate, and not something created by GOP operatives -- I'll grant you that it makes use of a long-time racial stereotype, and I certainly wouldn't use it; however, it's not denigrating or demeaning, unless you really do feel aggrieved by the long-held notion that black men have larger genitalia and/or greater sexual prowess than white men. Can you honestly tell me that this offends or hurts you? Again, compare this to the imagery of nooses and the stereotype of watermelon-eating blacks. Add to this the cartoons of Obama looking like a monkey or an ape, and other such imagery. What's an offensive and what's a laughable stereotype? I argue that there is a distinct difference. Moreover, I don't see negative imagery of any sort regarding Romney and his religious or ethnic background in political cartoons. That he is a rich, out-of-touch 1-percenter -- yes. But nothing about the fact that he is a white guy or Mormon -- and particularly either of these two things portrayed in a negative way.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zoyd23
As a former democrat and current Romney supporter, it appears 99% of the race baiting comes from democrats...it's the #1 reason I'm no longer a democrat. When the Obama zombies started bashing Bill and Hillary as closet racists in the NC primary, I dropped out of the dem party....

And as for the conservatives and racism: When a couple of universities here in Oregon wanted have a "blackout" (team and fans wear all black) for halloween football games they were told it's too racist by the liberal dems.....Today's democrats have a very special interest in keeping racism alive.

Race baiting? Which side has the nooses and watermelon imagery at campaign rallies. Which side has cartoons that portray Obama as a monkey or a witch doctor?

That said, there was some African-American woman academic who claimed that criticism of Obama by the political left was racism. This is playing the race card. And I wrote a scathing comment about it on a liberal site, Salon, where the article about it was posted. I'm sure there are some others that feel/felt as this particular academic did, but they are not a large or vocal group.

But I don't know where you get the idea that most of the race-baiting comes from the left. I only created this post after having seen about ten too many articles on Republicans and their racist comments and or campaign imagery regarding Obama. If these racial undertones and innuendos weren't promoted by conservatives, I wouldn't be calling them out. To claim that Democrats are 99% responsible for the race-baiting is just specious hyperbole, and causes discerning people to not take anything else you say seriously.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Do you really want to play this game?

This is a two way street. You sure you want to do this?

Any Black American that dares to leave the Democrat party is immediately castigated and exiled. Made fun of. Called "Uncle Tom", "House n*gger".

There is no more hateful party in this nation than the Democrats. You had better get in line and vote with them or you will be subject to verbal abuse for weeks. They are so full of rage and hate towards anyone that doesn't agree with them.

I am really waiting for their meltdown when Obama loses.

Uh, other, non-African-American Democrats that leave the Democratic party are also castigated, but I'll grant you that they don't get the racial epithets. I haven't, however, heard anything about nooses appearing at Adam West's opponent's campaign rallies. Also, I myself have heard no such racial epithets about people who have left the Democratic party, although I have heard Condaleeza Rice and Colin Powell referred to in this way.

And yes, given the preponderance of racist/bigoted rhetoric and imagery on the part of Republicans and other conservatives in this presidential campaign and against Obama from the time he was innaugurated, I am quite happy to "play this game" -- as you call it.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HostileApostle

Now, I don't disagree that there is racism in some of the anti-obama rhetoric. I also think that there is as much, if not more, racism in pro-obama rhetoric.

That is just a way for you to give racist a pass.

Why do you seem so defensive of racist that are against Obama?

YOu are mistaking me being defensive against your intellectual dishonesty for me being defensive about racism against Obama.

I don't like Obama. My dislike for him is only matched by my dislike for Romney. The only thing I dislike more is being dishonest.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Dude, are you serious? The birther issue is a live conspiracy only to very desperate and psychotic persons, e.g. Orly Taitz. But I guess if you consider The Greys and Reptilians to be live conspiracies, then the birther issue can be considered one, too.

Are you the conspiracy police?
Are you going to determine which conspiracies are up for debate now?

And apparently you didn't read my thread because you don't see the inconsistency in how McCain's and Obama's natural-born US citizenship status have been treated. EVEN if Obama had been born in Kenya, the Soviet Union or Anartica, he would be a natural-born US citizen because of his mother's nationality. Or are you claiming that she was not an American either?

I beg your pardon…

A 2011 Congressional Research Service report stated:

The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth", either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents
link

Did you read the part that says “born abroad to US citizen-parents”?“

"Parents” is plural. Obama’s dad was not a US citizen. Therefore, Obama would not be a natural born citizen if born outside the US.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Most normal "White People" of which I am one, are never gong to be totally honest on the subject of racism, not just because our answers are not popular here in the west but because we are conflicted.

As for Obama's being a natural born American Citizen, I doubt it.
edit on 16-10-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Why are we suprised? Racists are in Romney's camp. OK. Racists are also in Obama's camp. Racism can be found everywhere on this planet, in every organization and group, religious and atheist, Republican and Democrat, and is disgusting no matter what ideology is endorsed. This is a "dog wags tale" post. Of course white racists support Romney, just as black racists support Obama. That being said, its been interesting reading all the posts this topic has produced.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You guys are making a big mistake here. Its typical of leftists so its not a surprise. I will set aside the obvious intention of this kind of thread and assume that there really is a legitimate question here.

I dont like Obama because I do not like his culture. Its not my culture and he does not speak for my culture.
I dont like Romney because he also is not my culture and does not speak or represent my culture. Romney is closer to my culture than Obama but I still will not vote for him.

Is race a part of that equation?
Somewhat, but not like you all will think.
By and large blacks are not a part of my culture. We share a few likes and dislikes but "Black" culture in the US and its many subcultures are not in alignment with "White" culture and its many subcultures. There is nothing in that statement that should be read as a judgement on anything.
Dont jump to the conclusion that what I just said implies that to be white or black automatically places you in one of these groups. It does not, however those that cross over that cultural boundry are a much smaller segment of the whole.

The biggest problem we have today in America is that we have a massive cultural divide within the same geographical boundry. We are two or three people sharing a common area. We have grown further and further apart because our political system was not designed to function in this environment. It was designed to function with a people who have a common cultural background or framework. Race has nothing to do with that BTW its all about cultural background. Any person who functions within our system will do best when they have that same understanding of its core framework.
In the past people came to America and became part of that culture. They still maintained their original identity but they added to it the framework that existed here already. Sometime in the late 1800's "progressives" began to try and replace the framework and split us in two. Since that time people have grown up with that replacement framework and we thus have two people today.
There is a war coming.
That war will decide which framework survives.
I will let you in on a little secret, Obama and Romney are both representing the same side.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

Bro you gotta give up worrying about the racism stuff. That stress will kill you quicker than a bullet. Of course there's racism and prejudices but you can either deal with it or let it bother you.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daddycougar
Why are we suprised? Racists are in Romney's camp. OK. Racists are also in Obama's camp. Racism can be found everywhere on this planet, in every organization and group, religious and atheist, Republican and Democrat, and is disgusting no matter what ideology is endorsed. This is a "dog wags tale" post. Of course white racists support Romney, just as black racists support Obama. That being said, its been interesting reading all the posts this topic has produced.
I can't fathom why some people equate being prejudiced to being racist. There's a slight difference. Racism stems from racial dominance and superiority. Being prejudiced is simply not liking someone because of their skin color, it has nothing to do with a superiority complex. I've said this before, and I'll say it now, how the hell can descendants of slaves, who had to have civil rights legislated just so they could be treated humanely, less than 60 years ago, have a superiority complex? Some black people are prejudiced, I'll grant that, but black people don't have the power, or numbers to exert racism. Never have, never will.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join