Anti-Obama Rhetoric Frequently has Racist Overtones

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Anti-Obama Rhetoric Frequently has Racist Overtones

Why is it that so often the anti-Obama campaign rhetoric and imagery have racist undertones? Makes me think Obama's racial background makes for a large part of the particularly virulent opposition from the political right towards him -- as I've suspected all along. Here are a couple recent examples:

Wisconsin GOP Senate candidate Tommy Thompson's son delivered some head-turning thoughts on the presidential election Sunday morning.

In a clip posted on YouTube from a Republican Party Of Kenosha County brunch event, Jason Thompson commented that "we have the opportunity" to send President Barack Obama "back to Chicago -- or Kenya," drawing applause from the crowd.

and from the same article:

Last Tuesday, a protest against Obama in Santa Clara, Calif. featured similar racial undertones, including a noose, watermelons, and a sign that read "Go back to Kenya you idiot."

Huff Post article

This kind of stuff just keeps coming up over and over again. The whole birther thing smacks of racism. John McCain was not born in the US, but on a US military base in Panama, yet his legitimacy as a presidential candidate was never disputed by the birther crowd -- or by his political opponents for that matter. I freely admit that the "natural-born citizen" requirement has never been fully spelled out, but it has been taken to include the offspring of US citizens born abroad. As Obama's mother was a US citizen, why is there any question of Obama's birth status, even should he have not been born in Hawaii (which is not what I am claiming)? Mainly because of his color and the fact that he is of half African descent.

And then there is the ongoing "Obama is a Muslim" meme. There's a ATS thread right now about some gold ring he is purpoted to wear, which supposedly says something about Allah. So based on such sketchy evidence he is supposed to be a Muslim. Never mind that he joined a Christian church at some point and says he's a Christian. People will say, "but he just joined to pose as a Christian," and I say: so what? Ike Eisenhower did the same thing. And what if Obama were Muslim? it certainly doesn't seem to get in the way of his foreign policy because he is trigger happy with his drones being used on Muslims all over the Middle East, North Africa and SW Asia. He is also putting tough sanctions on Iran, a Muslim nation. Besides which, we have freedom of religion in this country, so there is no religious litmus test for being president. Yet people keep on making this unsubstantiated claim to try to undermine his legitimacy as president.

The Bush family was and is good buddies with the Saudi royal family and has had business dealings with them, along with the Bin Laden family, AND George W. Bush let Saudi VIPs leave the evening of Sept. 11, 2001 before the FBI could question them. Bush also deep-sixed the hunt for Bin Laden and later said he no longer cared about Osama Bin Laden. Obama was the president who presided over the hunt for and killing of OBL, yet people claim he has crypto Islamic ties. Where was the criticism of the Bush ties to the Saudi Royal family (Remember that 19 of 21 of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.)?

But Obama detractors continue to attempt to find traction with this ridiculous issue. Why is this? I submit it's primarily because of his name and skin pigment, and has nothing to do with reality. Yes, his dad was a Kenyan; so what? He didn't grow up with his father. He grew up with his American-citizen mother and grandparents. Oh, and as a young kid he lived in Indonesia for a while; big deal. These Muslim fear mongers want everyone to believe that he was indoctrinated as a child to be a Muslim Manchurian candidate -- although they have no evidence of it, and the whole idea is preposterous.

There's also the contingent, including Newt Gingrich, who want to promulgate and promote the notion that, because of his father's background, Obama has an anti-colonial mindset. And what is so bad about that, anyway? Colonialism is: "the control or governing influence of a nation over a dependent country, territory, or people." The US started out as a colony and didn't care much for it. We, as a country, argue for independent and democratic government rule for all peoples. So what would be good about a pro-colonial mindset? It sounds downright un-American. Yet Obama detractors have tried to push this meme, albeit to no avail. But why do this in the first place? Again, because Obama's skin color is different and his enemies want to cultivate an "us vs. them" mentality, with Obama being considered one of "them" obviously. It again boils down to racism.

Time and time again GOP politicians and operatives get caught sending racist jokes or images of Obama via e-mail. What's this about if it's not clear-cut racism?

I understand fully how nobody likes being called a racist because it sounds so bad and the term has such a bad connotation, but you know what: if it walks like a racist and talks like a racist, then it's a racist. I'm not by any means claiming that all criticism of Obama is race-based, but I believe a significant component of it is. I'd ask all the Obama haters to really do some self-examination to think about why their animus towards him is so strong. Have you been as biased against any other US president, and have you let issues slide with other presidents that you have held against Obama? If so, you are letting his skin color and background bias your view, and that is racism.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

John McCain was not born in the US, but on a US military base in Panama, yet his legitimacy as a presidential candidate was never disputed by the birther crowd

Maybe his father was stationed in Panama when he was serving the military or his mother. I don't know the story but I know if that happens it doesn't matter where he is born he is an american and you can't change that.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I'd say the rhetoric has "idiot" overtones -

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Better watch it. Any minute now, somebody will accuse you of using the "race card". It's their victimization defense against any and all criticism of racist ideology.

I do feel bad for the rest of the Obama detractors who dislike him because they don't agree with him. But those guys are usually ashamed of their fellow conservatives so they aren't very outspoken.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Some people aren't even really trying to hide it anymore.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like or vote for Obama because he's black. There are also plenty of people who only like and vote for Obama because he's black. The same is true for women, old people, homosexuals, Christians, and every other possible individualistic characteristic anyone has. Unfortunately this is being used as a crutch to try and answer every possible criticism against the current POTUS.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
There also racist Pro-Obama overtones such as," i voted for that 'n-word' cause he was black." S. Jackson. Snoop Sog or whatever his goofy nom de jeur is said not to vote for Romney because he was a white 'n-word'. The whole campaigning Obama camp wallows in racism. Oscar Wilde said the only thing worse than being talkes about was not being talked about at all. Racism is an easy trigger. See we have just succomb to its ignorance.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I am not a fan of this Admin whatsoever. Why? Because of the policies they promote, the lies that are told and the scandels. It's not just about Obama.

Wait a sec...I think that I've described about every Admin...ever.

But the Obama campaign is using every trick in the book to rally the base, including the worst one of using the race card.

I am not a fan of Rush Limbaugh, but I do agree with his statement he made a while back.

"I hope he fails."

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
to me, there is no crutch...republicans will gut programs helping the poor and middle class, that's why i'm not voting for a republican. and if you don't think that will happen, all you have to do is read proposed legislative bills in the house, and laws that were passed by republican controlled state governments. they want more for the 1%, or even top 5%, and less for the 95%. it's pretty cut and dry to me, it's not my opinion, it's the republicans words and legislation.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
provocateurs?
But there are racist idiots on both sides, doesn't mean they all are..
Also, the Kenya thing is more of a birther thing than a racist thing I would have to say.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

John McCain was not born in the US, but on a US military base in Panama, yet his legitimacy as a presidential candidate was never disputed by the birther crowd

No, but it was disputed by the dems in congress and I think Hillary's crew.
Also, McCain showed his BC as soon as the question came up so it went away quickly, maybe if O had done this sooner it wouldn't still be an issue.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I am sure that there are too many people that don't like Pres. Obama because he is black... half black. Does that mean the blacks that don't like him are racists because he is half white?

I don't like him irregardless of color.

I do not support the President's view on how to create jobs in this country.

I do not support his efforts in taking my decisions away from me in regards to my healthcare.

I do not support the President on his Mid-East policy, the lack of security at the Benghazi Compound inspite of multiple requests for security.

I do not support him in his weak relationship with Israel. It is sad when an opposing candidate has actually flown to Israel to meet with the Israeli PM and our President has not.

I do not support the way this Administration has allowed the TSA and EPA to flourish and grow in power beyond the intent of Congress, and abuse it's power by "tyrannical" means to intimidate the American citizen.

I do not support the President's support of questionable political figures such as Chavez, the Muslim Brotherhood, Castro, and lack of support for our staunchest allies.

I do not support the Presidents views on "redistribution of wealth" where I work 10-12-14 hour days and then I am forced by regulation and legislation and taxation to financially support someone that is as capable as myself.

There... what is racist about those statements?

It would not matter if he was white, black, brown, blue, yellow, or green... such political stands I do not support.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Aren't we all tired of this crap yet? The crap I refer to is the endless finger pointing and accusations of racism.

Your first link was a (lame) joke referencing the birth certificate controversy, not his race.
The second one was a display of one individuals racism, not worthy of us 'enlightened' folk to argue about.

A spate of symbolic protests against President Barack Obama that have featured empty chairs and racist imagery continued this week in California, with an arrangement featuring a noose, watermelons and a birther sign. "Go back to Kenya you idiot," reads the message, set up to resemble a teleprompter along a remote road in Santa Clara, Calif.
A short distance away sits a wooden chair, presumably a reference to actor Clint Eastwood's now-famous takedown of Obama at the Republican National Convention. Two watermelons have been placed on the seat of the chair, and a noose has been slung around its frame. A sign supporting GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney has been erected on the fence behind it.
California's KTVU reports that the display was first brought to their attention by a community resident who posted an image of the arrangement to Facebook. The station has since interviewed property owner Blake la Beck, who declined to comment, but claimed the display speaks for itself.
The controversial spectacle resembles similar ones put up last month. In both Texas and Virginia, homeowners "lynched" empty chairs in their front yards alongside anti-Obama messages, drawing criticism and calls of racism from their communities.

These random displays of racism are not indicative of any group beliefs. Obama champions are using the classic Composition/Division Logical Fallacy:

This guy in Santa Clara is anti-Obama, and he is racist, therefore all people who are anti-Obama are racist.

While everyone has to agree that this statement is patently not true, it is exactly the message that the "racism" claims aim to deliver. In my opinion it's nothing more than a shame tactic, trying to silence my dissent through fear of being publicly humiliated by the modern "scarlet letter".

I am so tired of the country being herded into the cattle chutes of political control...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Ya know what is really bothering me alot these days, are 'warnings' that if Obama doesnt win again, the "zombies" will riot, and everytime I hear that, it comes from people like Alex Jones, and Republican pundits.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Aren't we all tired of this crap yet?

Yes, I am tired of all the anti-Obama racism.

And if the Right would stop defending it and saying it doesn't exist, and actually call these people out and ridicule them, maybe it would go away.

But in reality, we have people like you not only defending it, but saying that the real problem are those that call out the racism and not those that display racism in the first place.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

That does sound racist, I'll definitely concede that one. A source or 2 would firm up that accusation.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Racism is a two way street. Black on white crime is ten times higher than white on black crime. You just don't see it much in the news because it does not fit the liberal agenda. The statement that was made about sending Obama back to Kenya is only racist because you wish it to be. Had he been born in Russia instead of Kenya they would have said send him back to Russia. There is racism on both sides. Pointing out one side does not make the racism from the other side go away.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Hi, this article on Infowars this morning.

www.infowars.com...

An Infowars.com story written by Michael Snyder which was picked up by the Drudge Report over the weekend and has since gone viral documented how Twitter was flooded with messages from Obama supporters threatening to riot, a sign that “whichever side loses this election will accuse the other side of stealing the election.”
The story was subsequently picked up by innumerable media outlets. Highly respected economist and author Thomas Sowell also voiced his concerns that race riots could ensue if Obama is not re-elected.
Checking Twitter feeds this morning, we discovered that threats to riot on behalf of Obama supporters are still flooding in, with the users seemingly unaware of the fact that the media has now picked up on the buzz.
We checked the Twitter accounts and virtually all of them are owned by people who have made hundreds or thousands of previous tweets, proving they are genuine accounts and not fakes.

So if thousands of previous tweets were made, it means that it's an angry black person.

And this one, which says zombie apocalypse is code for urban warfare,

______beforeitsnews/conspiracy-theories/2012/10/zombie-apocalypse-is-code-for-urban-warfare-2445312.html

”An article inHuffington PostSeptember 17th 2012 said, “The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is ready for a zombie apocalypse. Gun owners got prepared for a zombie apocalypse. Now, the military and law enforcement are getting ready. And next month, they’ll begin training.”

But for some reason, "gun owners" will be defending themselves against zombies because they are somehow immune from becoming one. Aye???
Now, I saw somewhere, that it's code for those whose welfare and government benefits are abruptly cut off.
Such as myself, on Social Security. I'll post it once I ocate that'un.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

Ouch Bro.

I wasn't trying to point any fingers, i was trying to lay out a logic-based, non-emotional rebuttal to the flaws in the left's argument.

I did say:
In my opening lines, the phrase, "The crap I refer to is the endless finger pointing and accusations of racism." could and probably does imply bias against the left. I should have been clearer in my meaning. I wrote that in the context of both the left and right accusations of racism presented earlier in the thread. I apologize.

I did not say:
that the "problem" was with those who cry racism.
that racism doesn't exist.

I respectfully disagree that anything would be accomplished by, "...call these people out and ridicule them, maybe it would go away."

I defended nothing.
I hoped to present no political leanings other than broad, cross-party sentiments:
o Aren't we all tired...
o ...not worthy of us 'enlightened' folk to argue about.
o I am so tired of the country being herded into the cattle chutes of political control...

But thank you for forcing me to go back and analyze my words, it's good to 'reality check' one's own writings from time to time.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Had he been born in Russia instead of Kenya they would have said send him back to Russia.

He was born in Hawaii.

Hence, the racism.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join