It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

106 US tanks delivered to Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

After reading that I remembered the
ATS posts about . . .
www.youtube.com...
Would this be another noble-peace prize in the making ?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

Wait, it doesn't say what type fo "tanks", then it says "armored tanks", are there any other kind of tank than the armored kind?

I wander if they are M1 Abrams A2 main battle tanks, or armored personnel carriers, like strikers et al.

As abrams means "war" and strikers mean "police action" for the most part.

Too bad your link is devoid of any real information, and a quick google returned nothing useful either, besides links back to the source you linked.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Hmm.. Safe from politics in here? lol....

Yemen seems to be the benficiary of quite a bit here lately. Another 30 Billion in arms to the Saudi's recently and it's Arms all around. One that got my attention for Yemen though....I suppose they're tired of our guys filling their airspace with drones. They want their own to fill it with.

Amid a series of controversial U.S. air strikes against high-level Al-Qaeda officials in the Arabian Peninsula, and renewed military cooperation with Yemen, officials in Sanaa are now expecting to get a supply of weaponry from the Pentagon, including four of their own UAVs.

An anonymous Yemeni defense official, who was not authorized to speak with the press, tells Aviation Week that Yemen is receiving four AeroVironment RQ-11 Raven UAVs. The 1.9-kg Raven is equipped with sensors for target acquisition, and infrared cameras capable of displaying persons carrying weapons.
Source

The Raven is a wee little thing compared to the far larger Hawk and Predator types, but it's a start. I don't know that it's what we should be applauding? I rather think nations should put the work into developing the technology so maybe they take some responsibility for how it's used.

A gimmie package like this is like giving a 16yr old a brand new car as a pure gift, IMO. Not much chance that gets used in a real responsible way, eh?
edit on 15-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Those are probably to quell the beginning wave of a Yemeni uprising, localized armour units to have on standby.
I don't see those being bought for a nation to nation conflict.
edit on 15-10-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I can add that I was writing details about the Al Qaeda -> Central Government fighting a year ago, in terms of past history running on the fighting there. I'd wondered back then if AQ or whoever could be eyeing Yemen as the East shore for the approach to the Suez Canal. I think the strategic nature of that one makes the Hormuz look like a minor glitch in the matrix for closures.

Last I heard a few weeks ago on major developments...AQ is still hard at it in the Western cities and same general area for making Yemen rue the day it heard their name.

That's a fairly sophisticated group in Yemen too. They produce the AQ Magazine out of that cell called 'Inspire'. It's as professional and polished as any Western magazine save for the specific topic matter of course. "How to build a bomb with kitchen materials' won't be appearing in Popular Science any time soon.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That explains the train convoys of tanks people were earlier reporting.

China's going to have it easy attacking and taking over the United States. Obama's doing a heck ofa job disabling America's defense capabilities.

Bet he's got a house in Dubai all ready for him to fly off into.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
When will the US government learn? In the past it has happened that the government supplies a government or military group with weapons and technology, only to have those same weapons and technology end up in the hands of our enemies, and then used against us. Think about the money we could save if we not only ended these charades overseas, but cut military spending. The cost of just one piece of equipment can be in the many millions of dollars. We would not have to reduce troop levels, as they provide jobs, but there are many areas where the military spending could be halted.

And if we did this, we would not have to worry about giving technology and weapons to potential enemies, so the cutting of the military would not present a huge danger to our national defense. But the more military hardware we give to other nations, the larger and more advanced of a military we need, to potentially defend ourselves from our own technologies and hardware. So I do not agree with the idea of sending 106 tanks to Yemen, just like I disagree with supplying Israel with its military hardware. They are going to start WWIII with Iran using technology the US gave them.

new topics

top topics

join