Improving ATS by Leaps and Bounds by Making Threads into Multi Post Conversations

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Thereby allowing people who start threads to LOCK OUT the people whom they do not want to have a conversation with. It does not seem very fair to people who start threads, for ATS to allow people who are nothing more than trolls to add a tidbit of info to the thread, all the while adding a major amount of junk to derail the thread. People should have the choice who to allow into their thread, based on their own particular history with that person.

Similar to a facebook style "invite", and people could build communities among those topics, instead of filling topics with all kinds of random garbage.




posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by magickmaster
 


This idea of yours is logical and makes perfect sense.

You dont have a chance in hell they will ever implement such a thing there.

They like the level of control they have over us they dont plan on handing that control over to us.

If we moderate our own threads they loose control.......cant have that.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
All the arguments pro/con the ignore button will apply to this suggestion.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
All the arguments pro/con the ignore button will apply to this suggestion.


No, that only applies to the individual who wished to ignore someone. Everyone else still has to read their junk, so that does not work.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This won't work based on your premise being incorrect. It isn't your thread. You might be the author of it, but it isn't yours, nor is it conducive to "denying ignorance" to allow you to decide who can and can't participate in it.

Pretty sure that will be the gist of it.

My personal opinion: If you want something like that, there seem to be other mediums that are better suited.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by magickmaster
 


So you want people who agree with the OP to have exclusive access to the Thread.

Silly idea.

After a few people said, "I agree" , the Thread will die.

It takes Criticism to produce deeper investigation that will benefit both sides of the Arguement.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by magickmaster
 


So you want people who agree with the OP to have exclusive access to the Thread.

Silly idea.

After a few people said, "I agree" , the Thread will die.

It takes Criticism to produce deeper investigation that will benefit both sides of the Arguement.


Should it not also be decided though, who is allowed to boast such criticism. Most people would not ban someone from their thread because they do not agree with them. But trolls could be banned from particular threads by particular people. That just means we get to choose who we converse with. I argue with my friends all the time, but I do not throw them out of my house unless they are very rude and inconsiderate, and I have had it with them. That's not too difficult to deal with.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Mods do not have the time to moderate every post in a thread, and sometimes they do not know if the post is out of context or not. Ops should be able to moderate their own threads, and others should be able to vote on whether the thread is good or not.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by magickmaster

Should it not also be decided though, who is allowed to boast such criticism. Most people would not ban someone from their thread because they do not agree with them. But trolls could be banned from particular threads by particular people. That just means we get to choose who we converse with. I argue with my friends all the time, but I do not throw them out of my house unless they are very rude and inconsiderate, and I have had it with them. That's not too difficult to deal with.
Well I think the Mods do a Good Job of "Troll Patroling"
Ive had my Knuckles rapped a few times.


ATS is an open Forum that Encourages Dialouge, not Stifles it.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by magickmaster

Should it not also be decided though, who is allowed to boast such criticism. Most people would not ban someone from their thread because they do not agree with them. But trolls could be banned from particular threads by particular people. That just means we get to choose who we converse with. I argue with my friends all the time, but I do not throw them out of my house unless they are very rude and inconsiderate, and I have had it with them. That's not too difficult to deal with.
Well I think the Mods do a Good Job of "Troll Patroling"
Ive had my Knuckles rapped a few times.


ATS is an open Forum that Encourages Dialouge, not Stifles it.


You mean to say, they openly encourage trolling until someone puts an end to it, by pointing it out and having a mod agree with them first?



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by magickmaster

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by magickmaster

Should it not also be decided though, who is allowed to boast such criticism. Most people would not ban someone from their thread because they do not agree with them. But trolls could be banned from particular threads by particular people. That just means we get to choose who we converse with. I argue with my friends all the time, but I do not throw them out of my house unless they are very rude and inconsiderate, and I have had it with them. That's not too difficult to deal with.
Well I think the Mods do a Good Job of "Troll Patroling"
Ive had my Knuckles rapped a few times.


ATS is an open Forum that Encourages Dialouge, not Stifles it.


You mean to say, they openly encourage trolling until someone puts an end to it, by pointing it out and having a mod agree with them first?


One man's trolling is another man's counter-point.

Have to go with TwoSides on this one.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
No offense but this is a forum site. What it seems to me you wish to make threads blogs. If that is the case I think you should just start your own blog and have it your way there. No offense intended but I like the forum type a lot more than the blog type and I think it is fine the way it is in these regards. Just my opinion.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by magickmaster
 


you are describing a blog. go make one.




posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by magickmaster
Thereby allowing people who start threads to LOCK OUT the people whom they do not want to have a conversation with.


Worst idea for ATS ever. Seriously. The worst.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
i actuly like some troll like comments often thay are just a creative way to get a point across



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by magickmaster
Thereby allowing people who start threads to LOCK OUT the people whom they do not want to have a conversation with.


Worst idea for ATS ever. Seriously. The worst.


Thank you. That makes me feel special.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
reply to post by magickmaster
 


you are describing a blog. go make one.



Actually, I am not describing a blog at all. People cannot reply to each others comments on a blog. I'm talking about a slightly altered version of the current "Forums" model. There is nothing wrong with change, and adding features and open source ideas.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
i actuly like some troll like comments often thay are just a creative way to get a point across


In many or even, most cases, I would not think people would use this feature. I just think it could be a valuable feature to have as an option. The thread could have a diamond or something, and say, OP Mod Thread, or stand for that, so that it warns others, to tread lightly, or face expulsion from the thread. I would not use it often, but once in a while, I find myself screaming out for it. When I have trolls that do not let up. That's not very often, but when it happens, you know it's happening and there should be something that can be done about it by the OP as a last resort option. I know there are people who would appreciate this feature. It would certainly see people being careful not to offend so easily, and it would encourage more mature discussion and debate, without all kinds of child fights. Then, as relationships build between people, and they actually know and appreciate each other, they know they get along and people who get along and know each other, can step over boundaries others would not be able to. I regulate, and everyone regulates their friendships like that, so why not regulate our discussions a little better, too?



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
No offense but this is a forum site. What it seems to me you wish to make threads blogs. If that is the case I think you should just start your own blog and have it your way there. No offense intended but I like the forum type a lot more than the blog type and I think it is fine the way it is in these regards. Just my opinion.


It appears to me, you have this concrete idea of what a forum is, and is not, and somehow this has become a religion for you. Fortunately, things change, with new innovations, and nothing stays the same forever. Forums are not set in stone, as to how they should or should not be, and I have always seen ATS as the leading innovator in Forum flexibility and creativity. So, therefore, it should come as no surprise, there may be a better way to innovate another area, like OP Modding, in certain occasions.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I have to go with beezz going with TwoSides on this one.


Bad Ju-Ju





top topics
 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join