It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairo, Illinois without water

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Maybe a little earthquake opened up an alternative route for the water *snippity*

Don't see any quakes listed here
folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

Doesn't mean something didn't happen under there though.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I live in a small town in Kentucky about 20 minutes from Cairo, IL and we were without water for a few hours today also. Storms came thru. I think the pumping stations had problems.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
This is just speculation, but what if there was a large cavern just under the river bed that got breached finally by the flow of the water? If that cavern or cavern system were closed or with a very small outlet then the water level would have followed the same drop and rise curve as shown on the chart at the link in a previous post.

I don't know if they have meters that monitor flow as well as depth at different points along the river; but if they do then looking at the flow readings could lead to finding the approximate location of such a cavern. they would show an increase in flow rate upstream from the breach and a reduction in flow downstream from the breach that should match the depth change rate shown on the previously mentioned chart.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Cairo, Il is actually at the southern tip of Illinois. On the west edge of town is the Mississippi River and the east side is the Ohio River. This is where the two rivers come together. There's also an East Cairo, which is across the river the Ohio River in Kentucky.

There is a jog in the Mississippi River in that area that was caused by the famous New Madrid earthquake.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Last time I heard anything about Cairo was just before the floods and the Marine Corps Engineers about to breach a damn and flood the community now we have Cairo without water. Peeps down there can't cut a break it's either one extreme or the other.

What ever the issue I hope it gets rectified, not having water is a huge issue, and being so close to as above mentioned madrid fault line one can only speculate???

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This makes me think of the story about Nestlé stealing water from the Great Lakes
Not the best Link about it.
There was a thread about it awhile back that had this
Video
edit on 15-10-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

I can't find the thread

ETA
There's this new Thread
Seems unrelated and the op appears to be in the Philippines

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
For me,the mystery deepens.

Ok,so I'm checking the river gauges above and below Cairo,IL.
Both the Mississippi and Ohio rivers.

The first one is the Ohio River above Cairo.

The second one is above Cairo of the Mississippi.

The third one is below Cairo after the Mississippi and Ohio rivers converge.

All obtained from here.....
water.weather.gov...

And for a little added info,check out the river gauges here.
www2.mvr.usace.army.mil...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Sounds like a break or a problem with their pumps.
This always makes me laugh though!

A rolling boil for 5 minutes is recommended.

Is it going to get hotter after it comes to a boil!? Boil it and then let it cool down and then drink it. Why boil it for 5 mins? Let 5 mins of evaporation happen?

In all honesty I think that's intended to compensate for idiots who don't know what boiling is. If it's just heated for five minutes the chances that those idiots will do it adequately is more likely

And this is an interesting story. It seems that if the water drop is causing this lack of water they just need to adjust the level of extraction while they investigate the cause of the drop.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

The term “rolling boil” is used to describe an especially vigorous state in a pot of boiling liquid.
Given that all water boils at the same temperature, 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius), differentiating between different “types” of boil might seem odd. However, water in fact behaves slightly differently depending on how long it has been at the boil, and whether or not the water is still being heated. Incidentally, if you happen to be involved in the starting with hot vs starting with cold water debate, the reason many people recommend starting with cold water is that many minerals are soluble in hot water. If your pipes are lined with layers of mineral material and hot water runs through them, the heat will dissolve the minerals, and they will wind up in your cooking pot. Mineral deposits can alter the flavour of the food, and, depending on the minerals, they can also be harmful to your health.

A rolling boil will ensure constant and uniform boiling of all the water and not just the lower portion of the container of water.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

The OP........

Just saw on local news that Cairo, Illinois without water....river mysteriously dropped 3 feet in 48 hours.... Sounds kind of weird....they have no idea when town will have water again. I will update if I find more info Saw the story on wsiltv news 3....10 pm news.

The river dropped suddenly.

edit on 15-10-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Given the location of this recent development....It makes me very uneasy. As I am in Memphis, Tn.

Lots of big action in that area in the last 200 years or so; Action that would effect a lot of lives if it shook in the modern day.

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 15-10-2012 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
People that frequent ATS should be on the lookout for odd cloud anomalies, strong smelling sulfur odor, and any animal behavior that is way out of the norm.

Please post if you notice any of these signs that I posted. You could save a life or 10,000

www.terraresearch.net...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
So I guess it has been worked out...according to tonight's news...still weird though...I'm no expert...but for a river to suddenly drop 3ft..and all while its raining...what would cause it...and how much water was actually gone/displaced?...those rivers are pretty wide...def..not a creeks

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
So I guess it has been worked out...according to tonight's news...still weird though...I'm no expert...but for a river to suddenly drop 3ft..and all while its raining...what would cause it...and how much water was actually gone/displaced?...those rivers are pretty wide...def..not a creeks

For what its worth, I posted this hypothesis earlier in this thread.
edit on 15-10-2012 by happykat39 because: highlighted text

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
This is just speculation, but what if there was a large cavern just under the river bed that got breached finally by the flow of the water? If that cavern or cavern system were closed or with a very small outlet then the water level would have followed the same drop and rise curve as shown on the chart at the link in a previous post.

I don't know if they have meters that monitor flow as well as depth at different points along the river; but if they do then looking at the flow readings could lead to finding the approximate location of such a cavern. they would show an increase in flow rate upstream from the breach and a reduction in flow downstream from the breach that should match the depth change rate shown on the previously mentioned chart.

That is very possible.

It would explain an extreme dip in the river levels at a certain point.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

start of a horror movie. Brilliant. "aliens 5" !!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join