It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairo, Illinois without water

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Just saw on local news that Cairo, Illinois without water....river mysteriously dropped 3 feet in 48 hours....
Sounds kind of weird....they have no idea when town will have water again. I will update if I find more info

Saw the story on wsiltv news 3....10 pm news.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Someone was really thirsty in that town by the sounds of it.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Sounds like a break or a problem with their pumps.
This always makes me laugh though!

A rolling boil for 5 minutes is recommended.

Is it going to get hotter after it comes to a boil!? Boil it and then let it cool down and then drink it. Why boil it for 5 mins? Let 5 mins of evaporation happen?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
www.kfvs12.com...

Strange......

edit on 14-10-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

They get their water from Ohio river....since the river dropped 3 feet in48 hours..the can't get the pump loe enough I guess....bigger question is why did the river drop so quickly...that's what they are trying to figure out.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Low level in spring/summer due to drier than normal winter and spring. I'm sure the fall was dry as well.

Edit: I can't find where they said 3 feet in 48 hours...any links?
edit on 14-10-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The mayor says:

Not to panic, every things gonna be okay, we just don't know how long where going to be without water

Umm, way to go there Mayor, tell them it's going to be alright and then immediately let them know you don't know anything. Oh, but don't panic.

They sent down divers to try and find the problem. It's like the start to a horror movie.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Well it's rained all weekend...so I thought it weird it would drop during rain event....

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

It is troubling because Cairo always gets the short end of the stick....they have a pretty big black community....and almost never get much help....

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I am on iPad right now and can't post links well...but they had a video on the news of the guy from the water service provider saying the problem was caused by a sudden drop in the past 2 days of the river level. I will tryto post a video of the report...when I get back on my Mac

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100

They get their water from Ohio river....since the river dropped 3 feet in48 hours..the can't get the pump loe enough I guess....bigger question is why did the river drop so quickly...that's what they are trying to figure out.

Nope, not the Ohio river. Their source is the mississippi.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Many are reporting little to no water pressure Sunday morning in Cairo due to water system problems and low Ohio River levels. Because of those water problems, there will be no school on Monday.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Barry Suits with Illinois American Water also can't say when the water will be back on, since the company is still trying to pinpoint the problem. Suits says the sudden drop in the Ohio river water level a couple of days ago, probably has something to do with it.

"[Sunday] afternoon, we noticed some problems with the intake facilities that we have on the Ohio River, as the water levels dropped about three, three and half feet in less than 48 hours," says Suits.

This is from the wsil tv 3 website

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100

I am on iPad right now and can't post links well...but they had a video on the news of the guy from the water service provider saying the problem was caused by a sudden drop in the past 2 days of the river level. I will tryto post a video of the report...when I get back on my Mac

Wow. That is weird. I wonder who is sucking the water. I still haven't watched it to make sure that he says what you claim...just taking your word on it.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Maybe the river is on a fault line or something? Such a sudden drop, it's like it's been diverted.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
There was a sudden dip in water levels then they returned to normal.

water.weather.gov...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Maybe a little earthquake opened up an alternative route for the water or maybe a company started to devert a lot of water for something upstream or raised the levels of a dam for power electric service. Could be a lot of reasons why the quick drop occurred. If a seismic event opened a channel to an underground aqueduct, the thing should be filled in a little while, possibly contaminating someones water elsewhere.
edit on 14-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metatronin
Maybe the river is on a fault line or something? Such a sudden drop, it's like it's been diverted.

Ever heard of the New Madrid Fault Zone?

hint hint....

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

That is exactly why this title caught my attention! Great minds and all that......

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by kdog1982

That is exactly why this title caught my attention! Great minds and all that......

Same here,but only a few small quakes down river,nothing to write home about,yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join