It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Walking - My Battle with the Mirror

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by Logarock

All the candidates really wanted the job. Of the ten we interviewed, the panel ended up recommending 4 to the hiring mgr for a second interview. Of those:

2 were very qualified and deserved the job.
1 is already performing the job as a temp, but did not interview well and, while very nice, is nowhere near as qualified as the first 2.
1 was someone who worked for the department for years and was RIF'd. That one had a bunch of references from friends, and the worst interview - in and out in ten minutes, didn't really answer the questions, not as technical, etc.

I had not been expecting to have to interview the one who is a temp because I thought they were not able to apply for the permanent position.

I feel like it's a lose/lose situation. Either the most qualified candidates may not be getting a fair chance because of the temp who is already here, or the temp may end up losing his job because although he did well enough to get in as a temp, he's really not the best candidate. If the RIF gets it, that stiffs all three of the others who are all more qualified but don't have the pity factor and old friends in the dept.

I sure am glad I was just on the first panel and not the second one.

This last statement here is key. Did you ever work out any understanding as to what set you off here? Were you ever overlooked in the past, sure that you didnt get a fair chance at something? Victim of some sort of politics? And then you saw some measure of it playing out in front of you again and felt rather helpless to do anything about it this let lose things in yourself.....the unresolved. By the way drugs dont help here.
edit on 13-11-2012 by Logarock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Long time passed since I made this thread, but the answer to the last question is...

One of the two candidates who were best qualified is the person who got the job, to my great joy! I actually cried (for joy) when I heard the decision. I had been torn because we had a temp who had been filling the position for quite a while, but who was not the best candidate. I was really concerned, at the time, whether the best candidate was going to truly get the fair shot at the job, or if our system would short-change the more qualified candidates in favor of the temp who was filling the positions. At the same time, I had to work closely with that temp, so I felt disloyal in that regard.

a reply to: Logarock

<< 1  2   >>

join