It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Up! Skip This Thread, My Message Is Not For You!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Good post.

I can't stand all the fuss about spelling in posts. Yes i hate bad spelling, but people forget.....

Brits and Americans have many spelling differences.

Spell check will show the US spelling (i believe) unless you draft your post in Word first and you have changed the spell check to the Brit version.

The site was started by a Brit......so who is at fault when it comes to bad spelling? Should other nationalilties, including US members be adjusting their spelling to suit us Brits?

Does it change now the owners are from the US?

I'll spell my words as best as i can, in the way i was taught, using English that was brought up with here in England.

If that offends....so be it

CX.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jihadoflove
reply to post by happykat39

It's ok, dyslexia can be come over.

edit on 15-10-2012 by jihadoflove because: (no reason given)

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomten
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

This place is about interesting things.
No matter how it is written.

No, no, no, this place is about chatting. Chatting is about communication. If you want to communicate an idea, then it is YOUR responsibility to at least try to abide by the rules of English given to all children in the 3rd grade throughout the English-speaking world.

When people destroy a written language, what comes across loud and clear is that they don't care about their readers at all. So, if they don't care, why should we struggle to read it?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

There is nothing more ironic than the grammar nazi who makes mistakes in the very same comment in which he is belittling you for the aforementioned offence.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Originally posted by Ferryman

I agree My Own. First of all let me say you're Avatar is Most Cool.

Ah, well thank you for the response and the compliment! Now, that's what I call a good way to start the day!

And I see you are rather new here, so allow me to extend a hearty welcome to you!

I used to be Word warrior before my Stroke, it took me 3 years to learn how to read again, and i used to be a stickler for grammar.
Now i have learned after watching people struggle learning how to read after a Stroke humbling.
I have learned to give, and take when somebody is trying to get a point across in the written word.
That is all you can do because none of us are immune to stroke, these people should think themselves lucky that they still have a mind, and the ability to write IMO.

Well first off allow me to congratulate you on your recuperation. It's a long hard frustrating road you've been on for the last 3 years and I admire people like you who have the tenacity to not give up, not give in and grab life by the horns regardless of the hand they've been dealt.

It's ironic, isn't it, the things we learn through our own adversity if we choose to. I say this with a certain amount of knowledge on the subject myself. Following is a brief account from an ex-self proclaimed word warrior.

It was Christmas day, 25+ years ago. I was not yet 20. I was brash, arrogant to an extent and used my educational opportunities and success as a battering ram to cut down those whom I thought were 'lesser' in that area. I found myself in the hospital due to complications from diabetes that until that hospital stay I had no idea I even had. I had already been there for 2 weeks and I would be there for another 10 days. My room mate had just been released. Lucky dog, going home for Christmas while there I still sat, an extreme pity party was on the list of events for the day it would seem. Enter Margory, an orderly at the hospital who had just come in to perform her duties cleaning the room and getting the bed ready for it's next occupant. During the time she went about her duties she attempted small talk with me and while I was hardly rude to her, I made it clear that I was in no mood for small talk. When she was done, she pulled up a chair by my bed, took my hand, looked me in the eye and forced me to talk with her. It was clear that her education level was not very high. She misused words and her grammar was atrocious but the 'gift' she left me with on that Christmas day was a life changer. I cannot really remember much of the specifics we chatted about in that half hour but I will never forget the 'spirit' of her words. The Drs may have given me life, but Margory gave me the ability to 'live' that life.

After she left and I was able to reflect on the spirit of her words it was my AH HA! moment. Her spoken words may not have been eloquently presented but the message came to me out of the blue, loud and clear. The message being regardless of our 'station' in life we all have worth, hopes, dreams, regrets, great successes, ideas, wants and needs. We all have 'worth' in this world even if we do not speak eloquently, mis-spell words or have no clue as to syntax or grammar.

Her Christmas gift changed my life and set me on the path to be able to meet some of the most amazing people regardless of their 'station' in life...and I mean truly amazing people without whom, no matter how brief or long they have lingered in my life, have enriched me greatly. I can only hope I've managed to do the same for some of them as well and have managed to pay forward one of the best presents I've ever received.

I did not see Margory again in the 10 days between Christmas and the day I was discharged from the hospital. However, every Christmas day, I say a silent prayer of thanks to the woman, the stranger who showed me the secret to living a full, happy and enriched life.

To those who would attempt to look down their noses at those in this life who may not have had the educational opportunities or the mental capacity for correct spellings and/or grammar or due to a medical reasons may seem 'slow'.. stop...think. To whom are you really doing the disservice here? I would say you are doing yourself the disservice for not opening yourself up to some amazing experiences out there to be had by folks who may use 'there' instead of 'their'.

You're story is heart warming my friend, and i like you have met some interesting, and varied characters in my time one is an elderly friend of mine who is sadly dead now. He was like a second dad to me, he was funny, and wise beyond belief, and i miss the conversations we once had. If you don't mind i have added you as a friend.

CX

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

No, no, no, this place is about chatting. Chatting is about communication. If you want to communicate an idea, then it is YOUR responsibility to at least try to abide by the rules of English given to all children in the 3rd grade throughout the English-speaking world.

When people destroy a written language, what comes across loud and clear is that they don't care about their readers at all. So, if they don't care, why should we struggle to read it?

I have to agree with you there.

We are not all great spellers, but a little effort doesn't do any harm.

I blame poor English on the internet and texting on cell phones as much as i blame many parents not bothering to encourage their kids to read any more. Far too easy to flick through a web page at a speedy rate for your required information, kids don't research homework for school any more, they copy and paste.

Texting is done with such short cuts now, we will soon be talking entirely in abbreviations. Words will be a thing of the past....and of course the ability to spell any of them.

CX.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I don't bother calling people out in their threads or replies for grammar or spelling, but if it is particularly brutal, or uses a few key phrases (should of, irregardless, "anymore" in place of "nowadays", I have to admit, the author starts to lose credibilty with me, and I start to lose interest. Right or wrong, it is what it is. I'm just not one to dedicate the time and thought process to "translating" as I read.

Imperfect grammar: who cares
Typos, or imperfect spelling: who cares

But if your writing is so bad as to be a chore to read, use a simple spelling/grammar checker. The tools are at your disposal, amd if they're not in your head, use the ones on your computer.

Again, I'm no grammar nazi - in fact, mine is middling at best, but I'm fine with errors and ommissions. Just don't vomit all over the language when using it.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

I don't bother calling people out in their threads or replies for grammar or spelling, but if it is particularly brutal, or uses a few key phrases (should of, irregardless, "anymore" in place of "nowadays", I have to admit, the author starts to lose credibilty with me, and I start to lose interest. Right or wrong, it is what it is. I'm just not one to dedicate the time and thought process to "translating" as I read.

Imperfect grammar: who cares
Typos, or imperfect spelling: who cares

But if your writing is so bad as to be a chore to read, use a simple spelling/grammar checker. The tools are at your disposal, amd if they're not in your head, use the ones on your computer.

Again, I'm no grammar nazi - in fact, mine is middling at best, but I'm fine with errors and ommissions. Just don't vomit all over the language when using it.

While listing your pet peeves, you used my pet peeve.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE when people use "It is what it is". That is one of the DUMBEST, most MORONIC statements I have ever heard and I absolutely despise it.

The reason I hate it with such passion is that it's usually used incorrectly. People misinterpret an event or have a certain opinion about something and they say "well, it is what it is" when, in reality, they have made it what it ISN'T.

So, no, it's not what it is, it's what you interpret it to be. "It is what it is" is one of the most lazy phrases in the English language used by people who are too lazy to think things through and look at the truth and reasons behind a certain occurance or incapable of doing so. It's a total cop-out for people who don't want to put forth the effort to find the facts behind something.

They don't want to problem solve, they don't want to move forward, they just want to accept whatever happens and expect others to accept it as well. I immediately lose respect for people who use it, especially those who use it often.

Did I mention I really hate the phrase?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

So... it isn't what it is????

~Heff

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
"This is what you tend to find", I hated this phrase when i was down the mines, it seem to be going the rounds, and everybody was saying it. Now it doesn't bother me.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I have to agree with you in part NRE, there are more profound things to be gained from a post or a thread than whether the grammar is spot on or not.

Being a writer, I do tend to pick up bad wording or bad grammar, and I have to admit I can be a bit of a grammar Nazi, at least to myself, however it rarely, if ever makes me stop reading if the person posting has something interesting or profound to say.

About the only thing that boils my blood is when I see a reply from the "lol" generation, ie;

"Tht wuz rully k3wl lol, brb g2g." And so forth.

If you're going to reply, even if your grammar isn't perfect, make it legible and understandable, and get your point across, otherwise the point is lost on the reader.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by PurpleChiten

So... it isn't what it is????

~Heff

Usually not!

It's only what we make it to be

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Don't worry OP. Grammar and Spelling Nazis have been around since ancient times:

PS - trying being married to one!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Wow dont stress ovr tyspos................jstu og ithw it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join