It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Up! Skip This Thread, My Message Is Not For You!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

That's just classic funny. Funny thing is most of us will forget the other post's in this thread, but will remember yours the most. Just classic funny.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

I actually love the "creative" ways some people express themselves, by steering away from the "proper" English way of writing.

This is a very good point. Sometimes it helps to break a few grammatical rules to express emphasis where you want it to be in a sentence.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Kiss kiss.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Making occasional mistakes is not what we complain about, NRE. Allow me to fix your post so you can see what we mean. This is what certain individuals do all the time, and they think it's OUR responsibility to suffer through their atrocious writing, instead of it being THEIR responsibility to write clearly.

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
due to the overwhelming judgmental threads concerning speeling peoples massage or a combination of both than by allmeans I am more then willing to come out and tell those that it concerns remember my name and avatar because I well make mistakes their will be a few mispelled words and maybe I might even do the evil starting a new sentence with AND since it means that I have no merit and I should not be taken seriously than by all means I will save you the trouble and give you a heads up my massage is NOT for you not my research not the time it takes to write a thought out and well researched thread because without the "proper" spelling the massage is garbage and I should not be taken seriously hello my name is NoRegretsEver and I make mistakes. if you or those you know have a problem with that than please by all means you can see the name of the thread creator and I am willing to save you the trouble of reading my uneducated thread with my misuse of the english language the way that you see fit.

Thank you, NRE.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferryman

I agree My Own. First of all let me say you're Avatar is Most Cool.

Ah, well thank you for the response and the compliment! Now, that's what I call a good way to start the day!

And I see you are rather new here, so allow me to extend a hearty welcome to you!

I used to be Word warrior before my Stroke, it took me 3 years to learn how to read again, and i used to be a stickler for grammar.
Now i have learned after watching people struggle learning how to read after a Stroke humbling.
I have learned to give, and take when somebody is trying to get a point across in the written word.
That is all you can do because none of us are immune to stroke, these people should think themselves lucky that they still have a mind, and the ability to write IMO.

Well first off allow me to congratulate you on your recuperation. It's a long hard frustrating road you've been on for the last 3 years and I admire people like you who have the tenacity to not give up, not give in and grab life by the horns regardless of the hand they've been dealt.

It's ironic, isn't it, the things we learn through our own adversity if we choose to. I say this with a certain amount of knowledge on the subject myself. Following is a brief account from an ex-self proclaimed word warrior.

It was Christmas day, 25+ years ago. I was not yet 20. I was brash, arrogant to an extent and used my educational opportunities and success as a battering ram to cut down those whom I thought were 'lesser' in that area. I found myself in the hospital due to complications from diabetes that until that hospital stay I had no idea I even had. I had already been there for 2 weeks and I would be there for another 10 days. My room mate had just been released. Lucky dog, going home for Christmas while there I still sat, an extreme pity party was on the list of events for the day it would seem. Enter Margory, an orderly at the hospital who had just come in to perform her duties cleaning the room and getting the bed ready for it's next occupant. During the time she went about her duties she attempted small talk with me and while I was hardly rude to her, I made it clear that I was in no mood for small talk. When she was done, she pulled up a chair by my bed, took my hand, looked me in the eye and forced me to talk with her. It was clear that her education level was not very high. She misused words and her grammar was atrocious but the 'gift' she left me with on that Christmas day was a life changer. I cannot really remember much of the specifics we chatted about in that half hour but I will never forget the 'spirit' of her words. The Drs may have given me life, but Margory gave me the ability to 'live' that life.

After she left and I was able to reflect on the spirit of her words it was my AH HA! moment. Her spoken words may not have been eloquently presented but the message came to me out of the blue, loud and clear. The message being regardless of our 'station' in life we all have worth, hopes, dreams, regrets, great successes, ideas, wants and needs. We all have 'worth' in this world even if we do not speak eloquently, mis-spell words or have no clue as to syntax or grammar.

Her Christmas gift changed my life and set me on the path to be able to meet some of the most amazing people regardless of their 'station' in life...and I mean truly amazing people without whom, no matter how brief or long they have lingered in my life, have enriched me greatly. I can only hope I've managed to do the same for some of them as well and have managed to pay forward one of the best presents I've ever received.

I did not see Margory again in the 10 days between Christmas and the day I was discharged from the hospital. However, every Christmas day, I say a silent prayer of thanks to the woman, the stranger who showed me the secret to living a full, happy and enriched life.

To those who would attempt to look down their noses at those in this life who may not have had the educational opportunities or the mental capacity for correct spellings and/or grammar or due to a medical reasons may seem 'slow'.. stop...think. To whom are you really doing the disservice here? I would say you are doing yourself the disservice for not opening yourself up to some amazing experiences out there to be had by folks who may use 'there' instead of 'their'.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
Hi Erveynoe..............

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !
Tahts so cool !

Now, mroe iprmoatnlty, wehre are all the UFO's!!!!
edit on 15-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

Only if its in a sentence or contextualized.

fhialucinafilcipicitocoiniiln

There see... first and last are right. But you cant understand it. That theory is completely wrong. Makes it even more difficult if you mix actual words on the misspell.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
Hi Erveynoe..............

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !
Tahts so cool !

Now, mroe iprmoatnlty, wehre are all the UFO's!!!!

Only if its in a sentence or contextualized.

fhialucinafilcipicitocoiniiln

There see... first and last are right. But you cant understand it. That theory is completely wrong. Makes it even more difficult if you mix actual words on the misspell.

But you are missing the point my friend - and you know it. For the purpose of our banter on this site my little example rings true - the fact that you were able to easily understand it because it was put in context is the whole point.

The odd spelling error per post is what we are talking about here - not busting out 29 letter words that no-one ever uses - you make it sound like I'm acting worthless (floccinaucinihilipilification)

edit on 15-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: god bless google 29 letter word search

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Double post

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Don't bother with the bully's.

This place is about interesting things.
No matter how it is written.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
For whatever it's worth, I would rather that someone correct me so that I don't keep making the same mistakes. There used to be this guy on a writers site who was relentless about correcting people's grammer. Everyone would get so upset. He rarely ever caught me, yet when he did I was appreciative and tried to learn from my mistake.

For years I would write congradulations instead of congratulations.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Its interesting that you should write this, I wasn't aware that others were concerned about anything but content.

If you look at the first word of the above sentence tell me if it should be Its or It's? I've never been able to figure that one out.

I'm grateful for spell check, as mine is hitrocious (atrocious).

See I'm profoundly dyslexic. Even went to one of the foremost schools for dyslexics "The Gow School". Todays tuition is over $50,000 and they have a waiting list.!!!

That school helped me immeasurably, but dyslexia doesn't go away, it just manifests itself in various and sometimes surprising ways.

I've several friends who murder the language. The word seen and saw are two that are not necessarily interchangeable yet often misused. (I seen him go into the store) is one example However I don't correct my friends, instead I try and use the word correctly shortly after in a sentence, hoping they will somehow catch the usage difference.

Perhaps you as a writer are dyslexic?? I've no idea.

Everyone has a story, and as others have said, content is more important than grammar and punctuation. (As long as it is readable.)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benchkey

The correct usage in your post is "It's" which is an abbreviation of "It is".

In most cases, an apostrophe is used to indicate the abbreviation of a longer word or phrase. For example: "isn't" = "is not", "can't" = "can not", "won't" = "will not" and "i'm" = "I am".

Personally, I rarely bother to correct misspellings and grammatical errors in the posts of others but I try and ensure that there are none in my own.

edit on 15/10/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Wow Well said...
there are also people who are dyslectic who have English as their main language but don't dare to write anything here ..

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1

Wow Well said...
there are also people who are dyslectic who have English as their main language but don't dare to write anything here ..

you mean dyslexic? ::running to hide::

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I suffer from berval lysdexia.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

It's ok, dyslexia can be come over.

edit on 15-10-2012 by jihadoflove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jihadoflove
reply to post by happykat39

It's ok, dyslexia can be come over.

edit on 15-10-2012 by jihadoflove because: (no reason given)

Q&A

Q - How do you know if you are a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac???

A - You lie awake all night wondering if there really is a doG.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Well at least you are important enough for the spelling police to monitor your posts. My typos fall through the cracks. I get no respect.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

right..

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
agree with you I do!

I sound like yoda!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join