It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physical Fitness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I’m going to start this post off by admitting that I am a workout elitist. I definitely agree that people need to focus more on physical preparation, as many think a gun/knife is all they need in a fight. I think far too often, especially in regards to 'preppers’ or those in the military; the pinnacle of fitness is seen as being able to run many miles and do many pushups. I think this mentality is outdated and very limiting. I believe all you need to do is dinosaur training, 5/3/1 style program, sprints, rucking, sledgehammer work, and some heavy bag/shadow boxing/ double-ended bag work. If you can’t join an MMA program (like me) just use the heavy bag/sand bag to throw around in different positions and fight as if it were a human (ground and pound). Burpees will take care of fitness (pushups, plyometrics, bodyweight squats) but will also carry over into the sprawl and functional fighting ability. Abs will be hit by doing all this but I would also suggest barbell rollouts and suitcase deadlifts. If this is all done, you will be one strong, long-winded, fight ready S.O.B. Throwing in some myofascial release (foam rolling, pressure point therapy) and stretching will keep you fresh, limber, and ready to engage at a moments notice.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I don't know what your guys fitness levels are, but i am a former Ranger and have been a succesful
Personal
Trainer for 10 years, if you have questions, please ask. No charge. We're all in this togethor.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I have to say, as a personal trainer, please, please, please, don't do insanity or p90x if you can't
Do 150 pushups nonstop, 15 pulls, and sprint for 1 minute. You will injure yourself and possibly
Have o have surgery. That crap is gimicky at best. Do your own thing. Or ask Me. Ill help you. Please
Be safe friends.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JerkyBeer

Also, please don't listen too someone/ANYONE that brings MMA into the conversation. They will get
You hurt. They know not what they do or say.

CX

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

But I have PT tests to pass every 6 months.

Good thread.

I used to make sure i did daily, what was required of me on the 6 month tests, and at least once a week i did what was required of me in the annual combat fitness tests. That way when they came around, there was no sudden shocks when you couldn't pass.

Although i left the forces years ago, i still use my fitness back then as a role model to work towards. You tend to keep that standard in the back of your head, and for me it gets embarrassing if i fall behind with that.

Even if people are not up to some of the routines suggested here, just stick your BOB on when you go for a daily walk. Even if it's just half an hour, getting used to the weight and walking with it will most beneficial for if you ever have to really use it for any distance.

CX.
edit on 1/1/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
huh, going to try that poker pt this week. if it feels good ill continue till i get back to the guy. got about another 2 months till i can get back to the gym.

thanks!
edit on 2-1-2013 by david99118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
FYI, there's no need to "go to the gym". Pushups, bicycles, body weight squats, lunges, full milk carton
"kettle bell swings each arm, shadow boxing in a mirror/reflection, burpees, jogging outside for a change,
Pullups at your local park, planks...

All of these and much more can be done RIGHT NOW!!!!

Saying you can't make it to the gym is like saying you can't grow a garden to eat a salad.

Stf up and get too it brothers and sisters!!!!! ATS is one of the few enlightened groups, we must
Maintain optimum health, so that, even if older, we are physically/mentally healthy enough
Too either lead or pass on our knowledge. Watch mad max beyond the thunderdome. We gotta stay
Healthy!!!! Good luck. You are family, you must help lead the future.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm glad that so many have found this thread useful.

If just one of you actually went out and did these exercises consistently and got something out of it then it is all worth while to me.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Amidst all the opinions on what method to use to train, bear in mind the following:-

The aim is to cause the body to adapt to be able to handle the next exercise. With this in mind, there must be some kind of progression in your exercise, it must be slightly longer/faster/heavier. This forces the body to change to cope with the increased demand on it. As long as you see progress over a reasonable period of time, then its working.

However:-

Sometimes less can be more. Once the body receives enough stimuli to cause a change, doing more is just overkill and can have the opposite effect. REST and proper nutrition is required to enable the body conditioning to have an effect. Not enough of either of these, and your efforts will be in vain.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
They are millions of people trying to keep their selves healthy and fit. You must have knowledge about the what workout is going to give result for you according to your need.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Many of the people that I see in videos on YouTube promoting survival techniques and equipment seem to be out of shape middle aged men who NEVER talk about fitness.

It's a valid point, but doesn't mean they don't know about the topics they DO talk about. I'm in this group too, but I'm certainly more active than I was a year ago, and I'm sure I'll be able to make the same statement next year, and the year after, etc. To be honest, my real motivation is that I'll double my wardrobe if I lose another two inches off my waist (clothes that I'll be able to wear again, etc.).

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My problem is folks who instruct others in methods, techniques, and equipment that they are not physically capable of doing/using themselves.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

To be honest, as long as the info is solid, I'm still on board. Plus, it's hard to tell someone's capabilities by looks alone. I've seen some big guys who can move.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I disagree completely.

I'm not overweight or anything but here's how I look at it. Watch the TV show survivor. It's the fit brutes who quickly have a problem. Why? Because they're fit and they're use to burning tons of calaries pers day. They're use to maybe as many as 6 meals plus snacks. Now put them in a situation where they only get like 1 small meal a day at best and in no time they're in dyer straights. They can't move, can't perform, can't do jack.

Where my thought is the person who has a bit of fat on them would have a much better chance. it's no different than why bears try and get as fat a possible before hybernating for the winter. So the shtf, you're quickly down to 1 meal a day. At least at that point you'd have some fat stores to maybe get you threw the first few months while you're trying to source out ways to coup with the situation and or get more food.

And their isn't much advantage to being super fit if both fit and unfit have weapons. Chances are they'd both have a reasonablly better chance against an opponent. The fit person could travel farther on foot but would then need all that much more food to do so.

I'm not saying "don't be fit" but the first thing to go will be the food. So at that point you need to be able to conserve calaries not be spending 10,000+ calaries per day like an army soldier.

I'm not saying be overweight either. I'm just saying that being like a camel or a bear won't hurt you. Where you have that extra fat to get you threw the lean times. To me that makes perfect sense.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

There are a lot of tricks to keep yourself from starving to death in a scarce environment. The bear also hibernates for months at a time. Humans don't have that choice. Hunting and trapping takes energy. Lots if it. Being fit and able makes it so you have a greater chance of finding what you need at the onset of a crisis that would require such tactics.

You never want to expend to much energy in a survival situation outside of what is needed to stay alive. Escape and evasion scenarios would require above average stamina. You don't get that by following the example of a bear.

You may have to walk or run for a few or several miles to ensure your survival. When you get to where you're going you're gonna need shelter if it isn't readily available. Then you're gonna need water and food. Your survival situation may render you without equipment. Improvisation and ENERGY are going to become paramount..

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This post is really informative. there are various foods that can help you make you physically fit. However, in order to be muscular while staying lean, you need to opt for foods that are high in protein and have a low fat ratio, only then you will reached your goal.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Proj my man.. good thread!

You know.... It seems like these wouldn't be too ungodly time consuming either. I'm sure I speak for a lot of us here that when we're not talking conspiracy theories we're making a living and looking after our families. That doesn't really leave much time for working out.

Once upon a time I was in impeccable physical condition... but like many of us, got married, had kids and a job to pay for all the overpriced products and services I (mostly) have no choice but to spend money on. After a while you notice your not in as good of shape as you used to be..

Thanks proj!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Good post OP, this is a very valid subject and one that many people forget to include when discussing survival preparedness. You can only be as prepared as your physical condition will allow and many people are not in peak or even ideal physical condition, which is going to severely negate any other preparations a person has made.

Another point connected with PT that I would like to mention is that if you smoke stop it now because a) it severely affects your health and endurance and b) you don't want to be in a survival scenario and be going through nicotine withdrawals or toting around 15 cartons of smokes so you will have 'em when the supply runs out.

Great advice on beginning a running program.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I recommend all survivalist to take Jiu-Jitsu, or Muay Thai classes.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This is the exercise routine for survival preparedness that we use in my family:
US Navy Seal Physical Fitess Guide PDF

It's basically an updated version of the PT program we used when I was active duty and it will get you in peak physical condition pretty quick though it can be rather vigorous to some.

We don't follow it completely due to time constraints and such but we do follow as much as we can and this time of the year we will pack up our gear and go on weekend hiking/camping trips and will sometimes hike 10+ miles to our camping site with full BoB's and camping supplies.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join