It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gear Junkie

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I love it but the price tag is outta this world. I might as well buy the bomb dignity backpacker ultralight stuff. I am keen on the Gen II ACU stuff in Multicam. I have had good luck finding gear and have basically gotten 3-4 under layers 2 massif combat shirts a L5 set plus a more warm weather Multicam jacket and pant set all for 400$ plus knee pads for pants pockets and some other extras like fleeces to fit those inner zippers. The biggest thing for me however is the brands I buy are the ones that come back from combat and are still not too bad to sell…that to me is the true testament to their quality.

I have been looking into boots and have yet to find what I want. I know I need vortex and medium weight. I prefer leather but like some of the hybrid designs for their ability to be light weight and still have a comfortable rigid structure.

ETA: my pack is an Eberlestock G4…I plan on doing a review with pics and all the goodies once I take it out for a trial.
edit on 31-5-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Yep MC is my favorite camo and you are right about the cost. I have found propper makes pretty good stuff at a good price. TAG is another company who's price point is good for the gear. I love TAD kit but with the prices they ask you need to take out a bank loan to gear up.

I will say my Eberlestock pack was worth every penny. I debated between them and TAD,Kifaru,Mystery Ranch.
edit on 31-5-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

You forgot Granite Gear. Also you can get these slightly used in great shape for hiking still. My G4 was bought from another forum and I paid 320$ for a G4 in Multicam. The pack is huge and would handle my every need plus some and has the added benefit of being able to stack well with my armor carrier and pouch system.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I paid a little more then you did for my Operator also in MC. I really like Eberlestock gear I would love to have the 700 sa stock they make. It is a little pricey at 2,000......LOL.

I had to settle for a 2.0 AICS.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The only packs I consider to be better are way above that price range too. Just for those with deep pockets and a curiosity as to what the best are...Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Granite Gear. Those 3 are hands down the best. Kifaru has the lighter packs MR has packs made to be worn with armor and Granite Gear is well tougher than just about any pack I've seen. I will also say for a budget the best I've seen out there is the USMC FILBE which can be had for around 80$ and its an acrteryx design with mil spec materials. I got one for my girl and my only gripe with them is lack of orginizational pockets...easily solved with stuff sacks dry bags and gear pouches/duffles.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I am going to try soon to do a pack review along with some of the cooler pieces if kit I have been accumulating lately. I am going to structure it kind of like another forum I frequent does…i.e. 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line. I am about a month or 2 away from completing my setup and most of my GFs. Which brings me to the comparison of what she will carry and what I will carry. Suffice to say as I see it a BOB is the 3rd line. That means in a rapid situation I can don my 1st and maybe second line in seconds where as getting to my BOB might not be feasible in an already bugged out situation…i.e. ambush or raid. I am seeing more and more that the military approach works so well for a reason and therefore it has become my model to be modified for civilian use.

ETA: I solved the stock problem by using an AR platform in .308 as well as the gun being a tier 1 sub MOA rifle it also benefits from a collapsable stock and ends up being able to fit in my G4 with only 2 inches of stock showing…easily covered by the scabbards top cover. I did the best I could on weight but not much can be done when you used as many of the lightest components possible while adhering to strength and integrity of the rifle.
edit on 2-6-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Flashlights..........A good one is a must for any prepper. Many makers and many features makes this a hard choice and prices can be high.

I have found surefire makes the best overall lights. I love my p3x fury 15/1000 lumen 3 cell light. I also like insight technology "X" series lights. Make sure your light is oring sealed and stay away from plastic. The cheapest choice is not the best option when it comes to flashlights. I have broken many a mag light over the years and wish I had just spent the money and bought a good light.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Ya Rick if you could do a review with pics that would be great. I am going to also start reviewing with pics it makes more interesting.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I have not added any new gear for some time now and I figured it is time. Winter is here and exposure is the real deal and going by the rule of 3 needs to be a top priority for any serious prepper.

Winter coats and snow pants are a must for any extended outdoor activity. I finally broke down and bought the Canada Goose Resolute parka. This coat is beyond warm it is what researchers wear at the north pole. The tunnel hood is coyote fur lined and it does zip off if not needed. It has a many pockets and reflective tape for the blizzard awaiting you.

They also make the Snow Mantra which is considered the warmest jacket in the world and the expedition all three of these parkas are very expensive but worth every penny in the extreme cold. Many people are selling Chinese fakes so be very careful when purchasing them. Many of the fakes use racoon or fake fur or the Canada goose patch and tags are messed up. Research what real Canada goose products look like before spending your hard earned money.
edit on 8-11-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
forget all your fancy gear and your brand names and all that stuff, after "the event" what will ensure your survival is SKILLS and the KNOWLEDGE to use those skills, these will last you when all your gear has been used, broken or lost.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

My Son has heaps of stuff and I am amazed that so much can be fitted into his back pack. Even the hydration container has a compartment.

I don't know much on what this stuff is called but popped into share with you how amazed I am at the compactness of it all.

I 'spose that is important because if your on foot, you don't want to be weighed down with huge items.
thread

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
More than enough threads on "normal" BOB gear, so going a bit more out there....

I love this, the Black Scout Survival Belt:
www.blackscoutsurvival.com...

Q would be proud. This is really more of an EDC (Every Day Carry) item though.

Another must have, a crankable weather radio with flashlight, cell charger, etc.:
beprepared.com...

I also love this (big fan of multi-use), a 5 in 1 Survival Whistle: (matches, compass, flint/starter, etc.)
beprepared.com...

CleanSip Filter Straw:
www.cleansip.com...

Don't know how to even describe it, but a muti-tool...just damn cool:
beprepared.com...

Venture 6 Tool (shovel, axe, saw, etc.)
beprepared.com...
(It actually holds up way better than I first thought it would. I wouldn't do any hot and heavy chopping or log-splitting with the axe, but for what it is, it works pretty well)

A METAL water bottle. That way, you can boil in it. (or 2, like I carry).

A nice Rain Poncho. You're just plain miserable if you are soaking wet.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join