P220 ( extra clips)
power bars
two liters of water
water filtration
duct tape
first aid kit
multi-tool
tarp
spare socks ( hate when my feet get wet)
flashlight
and that is enough to get to where i need to go. anything more and it will just slow you down

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well I have not posted in this thread in awhile and I just got some new gear and thought I would add it.

Wise foods 7 day food supply kit. I have not tried it out yet packaging is very nice it comes in a bucket with a lid. When I actually eat some I will post the results.

Gorilla brand duct tape. I love this stuff it is awesome and a really good trick is to take a old credit card or any plastic card and wrap the duct tape around a few times to have some for your BOB.

Bulldog brand multicam grab bag. This thing is awesome and has room for a lot of kit. It even comes with a bag of extra zipper pulls and cords which is a very nice touch. It is made out of 1000 cordura so it is tough as nails.

Goal Zero aa/aaa solar battery charger. I own a ton of goal zero kit and it is the best out there. It is high quality and the customer service is second to none. This is a perfect item for any and all BOB.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Also if anyone has used Wise Foods or other brands I would really appreciate any and all feedback. I am new to this dehydrated food thing and would love good input. Thanks

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SallieSunshine
I'm not sure if this counts as "gear" - but I think everyone should have a lice comb and if you have a pet with you, you should have a flea comb. I have never had to use a lice comb, but I have used flea combs on my cats and they work pretty well.

Sal

This is actually a great idea and yes my dogs would bug out with me and the family. And keeping them clean and healthy is very important to me. I was also thinking about booties of some kind for when the ground is very rough.

Thank you for the idea I will use it.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Every so often I post some new gear and this time it is a fixed blade knife. I finally broke down and convinced the wife to let me spend the money and get a Chris Reeves green beret. It comes with a spec ops combat master sheath.

I am really happy with it I do own other higher end knives like the Australian made Hardcore Hardware and Benchmades. And to be honest this one has them beat hands down. I wanted a good sharpener to pair with it and because the sheath has a front pocket I went with the Gerber downrange. It is pretty big but is of the highest quality much better then my benchmade sharpener.

I also bought a goal zero rechargeable flashlight and it is a great idea but poorly made. I have a ton of goal zero kit and I was very surprised at just how cheap this was made. The sealing o'ring on the tailcap was broken from the factory and the threads are bad. I contacted goal zero and the customer service was terrible the first time and better the second. I might actually switch to Brunton after this one.
edit on 30-9-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)
edit on 30-9-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I live in a very rural wooded region of New England, and have an old family riverside plot of land with a very old camper on it, with no electricity. This is only a few hours hike from my home, or a 15 minute drive. Since I plan to go there in the typical SHTF scenario, a few of these "non essential" comfort items would certainly not go in a typical BOB, but since this thread is about "gear", here are my favorites, with links, and a brief description & picture. Most of these items I acquired for normal hiking and camping over the past few years, but are definitely part of my SHTF plans. You may be surprised that half of my favorite pieces of "gear" are electronics, but with my homemade faraday cage, some of them just might still work after a blast.

This small biolite stove runs on twigs, is 5"x8" at 33oz & also produces electricity to charge my phone (which I do not plan to use as a phone, see further below) biolite

This brunton charger also can charge my phone (which I use to store many gigabytes full of PDF survival files) brunton

I am no survivalist, and I have not taken the time to learn how to make a small animal trap or do at least 5 gigabytes worth of reading that I have stored on a tiny MicroSD card in my phone, but I have over 1000 files in PDF form and keep this Samsung Exhibit in a homemade faraday cage ready to be pulled out and charged up with one of the above items, to learn on the run in a time of need. PDF viewer

This rechargeable small Polaroid speaker works over bluetooth with my phone above, and makes listening to music, audio books, and movies far more enjoyable. It too charges with the biolite or brunton via USB, as well as the battery pack further below. speaker

This digital TV tuner by Hauppauge makes my laptop a television and picks up over air HDTV. Maybe emergency information will still make it to the airwaves, but I currently use it with my pc hooked up to a large flat panel HDTV as the tuner in it broke and this cost less than replacing the tuner. It works as a DVR with my pc and I use it to follow what little good programming there is out there.tv tuner

I don't have a picture of my folding 80 watt solar panel that I constructed from solar cells I bought online, but it is similar to this. solar panel

With this I can store solar energy or transfer energy from a car battery in this portable battery pack that also has jumper cables, an emergency light, and an air compressor battery pack

This rechargeable Coleman lantern lasts several nights on one charge from the above battery pack, and has 3 light levels. I really enjoy having this around on a rainy night if I'm stuck inside the Hubba tent reading. The bulbs are impossible to find anymore, so I'll eventually upgrade. lantern

This Leatherman Wave has all locking blades and several tools I need in one handy leather pouch. leatherman

This is my 1 man Hubba tent, 20"x6" packed & 45oz, it can be used with just the tarp and poles, or just the mesh and poles, or with both, and sets up in the dark in less than 5 minutes with the connected pole system.
hubba tent

This Easycot packs down to just 6"x7"x40" and though it weighs 21lbs, it fits in the tent above, and opens in seconds with no assembly. easycot

This Therm-a-rest dreamtime mattress self inflates, weighs just under 7lbs and packs down to 6"x25". The soft fleece cover is washable, and it has an air and a foam mattress inside, and is very comfortable. dreamtime

This 1 piece silk sheet is sometimes all you need over the mattress above for a comfortable nights sleep, and I pack it right in with my sleeping bag which is just below. silk sheet

This UltraLamina 0 degree sleeping bag packs to 8"x15" and weighs less than 3lbs, and it is highly wind resistant as well as super soft and comfortable. sleeping bag

So those are my favorite items of "gear" and I have lots of other things like a cooler with wheels on it, fishing gear, kayak, 25 lb bags of rice as well as lima beans, hand cranking radio/lights as mentioned in previous replies in this thread, knives, vegetable seeds, a pressure cooker is essential I believe and of them all, I have put the most time into the PDF files. I believe information could be a form of currency one day, if things happen to get black out bad. Every US Army manual out there, recipes, digital copies of books, some over 100 years old. I also created a PDF of all of my favorite paintings from artists like Da Vinci and Michelangelo. I have most of Beethovens symphony sheet music, countless fictional novels from great writers, poets, 40 of my favorite movies, audio books, hundreds of discographies of music, and I am adding to that PDF file list all the time. I enjoyed this thread and the survival forum is one of my favorite places on ATS.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Love your kit buddy..........awesome stuff. I want a biolite stove so bad. I also use solar I have been using goal zero but lately I noticed the quality is not the best anymore. I am thinking about switching to brunton.

I also just purchased a Chris reeves Pacific knife and it is even better then the green beret they also offer. The knife is epic. Chris you make awesome knives.
edit on 2-11-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Just got some new kit and thought I would post a review.

Exotac Nanostriker XL. It is a ferrocerium rod fire starter. This is a small well made unit that is oring sealed and comes with a lanyard and extra orings just in case. I would recommend this to anyone. They are pricey but this unit will not fail you and you can replace the rod when needed.

edit on 26-5-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I got one I don't hear about so much just recently…but serves multiple purposes.

A molle lined armor carrier with IIIA armor inserts as well as plate pockets. Now obviously it has the main benefit of blocking rounds up to .308 with the right plates (IIIA is only rated for 9mm/.44mag at 1,400fps). However the molle though is a huge plus because you can outfit all kinds of pouches on them. Not only does it allow me to keep mags and other fighting gear right where I need them but also allows me to carry a full MRE, 70 oz. of water, an IFAK, a small E&E pouch with my pocket survival kit, as well as maps and other admin items.

I find this important for a few reasons…one is it keeps me from having to dig into my bag for combat gear like mags but it also allows me to ditch the pack if I had to and still have enough to survive until I can resupply. It's not necessary to have the armor but it's a huge bonus and adds more uses to the item. There are however load bearing rigs and the likes that are more compact and serve the same roll. There are a lot of good companies out there and everyone has their own style. Also if you wanted more carry capacity on your person you can look into a battle belt which is basically a padded slip over for a belt that has molle webbing or/and drop leg rigs which attach to the belt and your leg to basically give you a customizable "cargo" pocket of sorts.

I have seen this type of setup able to carry enough supplies that it could sustain a person and allow the carry of a sleeping system (something like a woobie and a silnylon tarp) all on your person which if your only going a short distance negates the need for a pack at all.

Hope this was helpful…I will try to add pics later if I get around to it.

ETA: also is there a way to possibly have the mods just combine all these damn BOB threads into one sticky…or possibly just pick the biggest one to sticky because I bet if one did a search there would be over 100 of these "gear for BOB" threads.
edit on 28-5-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have an Arc'Teryx Bora pack, it's tough as nails. For a tent I have a small one-man REI quarter dome. It weighs less than 5 lbs.

A good BOB shouldn't weigh you down, and provide all the needed items. I like my Steripen for water, or a few drops of bleach.

One overlooked piece of gear is GOOD BOOTS. I cannot stress this enough. I have some La Sportiva's that can accept crampons in the event I have to travel across some snowpack or up on a glacier (I live in Alaska).

Your not going to go very far if you have crappy, uncomfortable boots that aren't water resistant/waterproof.

EDIT: Going through this thread I see a lot of heavy, large items. Have any of you guys done a 30 mile plus backpacking trip through mountainous terrain? You might want to do a week long backpacking trip to evaluate what you need and don't need. I like to keep my load out under 40 lbs -- including food and water. Water will be the heaviest thing you should be carrying if you want to move fast and light in a survival situation.
edit on 28-5-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

OMG I can't believe I forgot to address boots. One of the absolute most important things you need! Normally needs to be waterproof and as breathable as possible but most importantly MUST be comfortable. I do not advise buying boots online unless you've tested them in person at least once.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

There's a product called Sno-Seal. It's a waxy substance that will waterproof your leather boots. Mink oil also works, and most sporting good stores should carry both or one of the other.

I also like to keep one set of dry long underwear in a water proof bag inside my pack. It's always nice to put on warm, dry long johns after hiking in the rain.

A pack cover or a poncho big enough to cover you and your pack is also a good idea. I have a poncho that can turn into a tarp or a sleeping bag/bivouac sack.

Staying dry can keep you alive. No one wants to get hypothermia!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I've been working on building the parts I need from the army's acu layer system. I will have one set of hot and cold weather outer shell, a navy gortex shell, and up to 3 sets of L1/L2 base layers as well as a couple massif combat shirts. Idea being I can swap out under layers to wash as needed or dry if wet but keeping clothing mass down to fit my pack. I intend to use a waterproof compression sack to hold whats not worn. My rain gear goes into an outer pocket for easy access.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

You can also use cigarette smoke to stop small cuts and scrapes from bleeding. I did it just the other day.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Yup. Layers, layers, layers.

The military is finally catching up to the civilian world when it comes to outdoor gear. I remember having goretex before it was issued by the military LOL.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I don't really have brands but ill include a list of the things in my BOB. The bag itself is a seabag issued by the marines/navy of the USA.

-Knife (bear Grylls folding knife; its pretty low-end imo)
-Kobalt Hatchet
-Large sleeping bag (made for -30 degrees F)
-Tarp (approx 15x15)
-550 Paracord (200 Feet)
-Small whetstone
-Iodine tablets
-Flint and Steel
-Skinning knife
-Compass
-Couple of maps
-Couple of MREs
-2 Canteens
-Small Tent

My wife has a BOB as well but that has some backup stuff, clothes, food, a few tools. The idea is that we would grab our bows (already strung on the wall) as we left. I have some other supplies of course that I prefer not to list here.

I now have a question. Since the BOB is usually used for a SHTF scenario I was wondering if anybody is particularly knowledgable in the area of respirators/gas masks. I have one that works alright on CS gas however I was wondering if anybody knew what could be used in case of a biohazard/chemical attack/nuclear fallout/pandemic situation.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AlchemistSwami

Your gear is pretty cool but most of it is electronic. Its cool that you have all of that but personally I prefer not to rely on technology so much. A while back I printed out all of my essential pdf's and laminated them. Then I bound them in a heavy duty metal binder. I only have a few electronics (primarily a radio and flashlight). I'm really not sure where I am going with this, im just kind of skeptical about how you would do in a SHTF scenario because of the reliance on electronics. I could be wrong, but I would spend ore time learning what is on your pdfs and learning how to do without the electronics.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Nice pack they make awesome and I mean awesome kit. I personally use a Eberlestock Operator. I agree on the good boots I really like my Blackhawks.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

You should take a look at Cyre precision clothing. I have a bunch and love all of it . They make the best combat pants on the planet.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Gazrok

You can also use cigarette smoke to stop small cuts and scrapes from bleeding. I did it just the other day.

Could you explain this a little more. I have never heard of this.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join