It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gear Junkie

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
reply to post by buster2010

I recently learned how to make a bow from 3/4" pvc. Could pull it out of a wall in a house if need be

YouTube PVC bow. Is a hoot

Thanks for the link you can never really go wrong with a bow it can be used over and over again I also like the idea of a black powder gun another poster mentioned.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by popcornmafia
All of that gears useless without the most important

PIECE exactly that.

What kind of piece you packing.

Beretta p92 is one of the best and the INOX is just sexy

I happen to agree with you to a point. Guns are very useful tools and they rank very high on my list. But I also think fire starting and water purification and a good knife are all on the top of the list as equals.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
Got a Maxpedition Falcon pack the other day - Its an awesome backpack, perfect for a BOB.

I highly recommend if you are looking for one.

I believe they are also made in the good ole US. I am looking for another pack for a loved one and this one is on my list.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Which is why I also consider my glock19, 2 Blackhawks and my 12 gauge to be important. Short term. But I'm thinking long term

challenging me to a dual>? We can go anytime anywhere.

Look Id rather have more friends in shtf then enemies. My point was all the gear in the world
is useless without some fire power and vica versa

I was wondering OPS way to back up his supplies

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

All of that gears useless without the most important

PIECE exactly that.

What kind of piece you packing.

Beretta p92 is one of the best and the INOX is just sexy

I happen to agree with you to a point. Guns are very useful tools and they rank very high on my list. But I also think fire starting and water purification and a good knife are all on the top of the list as equals.

Thats what I meant, then everyone tried to jump me..

What kind of firearm is in your immediate to go bag op?

Or not even *your* gun but one *youd like to have* some people
like to keep that info privy which is understandable

edit on 14-10-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Which is why I also consider my glock19, 2 Blackhawks and my 12 gauge to be important. Short term. But I'm thinking long term

Look Id rather have more friends in shtf then enemies. My point was all the gear in the world

Knights arms sr-15 in hand------S&W mp9 in holster------Custom 700 in .308 in pack.

Like I said before guns are a very useful tool but so is a good knife.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

Knights arms sr-15 in hand------S&W mp9 in holster------Custom 700 in .308 in pack.

Like I said before guns are a very useful tool but so is a good knife.

.308 looking to take out some bears or a small elephant

never have to much firepower never

How do you plan on keeping the knife sharp do you have
a sharpening kit?

I have tried to learn the old sharpen on a rock trick but
it always makes my knives more dull
edit on 14-10-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by popcornmafia

I do----- I like a 2 stage sharpener to get a real sharp edge. Also I found a old school barber wet stone that is small and can fit in my kit.

Like I said before I prefer Gerber knives but I am very interested in Benchmade info. Right now I have a Gerber lmf 2 in coyote. Also the .308 is a 800 yard gun with the scope I have it is a Bushnell 4200 tactical. I Could get by with my .556 but I wanted a good hunting weapon. I can take any large animal in that caliber. And the Eberlestock pack allows me to carry it in comfort. They are made with internal storage for long barreled guns.
edit on 14-10-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Guns are important I can not really say otherwise. But your mind is the most important thing in your kit making good choices and learning new abilities is at the top of the list.

Many people around the world can not own guns and that is a shame, but they can still survive. You can make a bow or a spear. Humans survived for many years before guns were invented. A firearm does give you unique abilities but it is not the most important thing.

To be honest I hope some of the ATS members from other countries do post ideas when you can not have a firearm it changes your thinking and that can sometimes be a good thing. Bullets will only last so long and then it will come down to skill sets. Who can make the best bow or arrow.
edit on 14-10-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well I thought I would post one more piece of gear that I own and love before hitting the sack. I believe a good head lamp is a must have and I use the Surefire saint minimus. It is 100 lumen and is water and shock proof.

I have often wondered if the princeton tec lamps are any good. They seem kind cheaply made but I have never used them.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I just wish people would do a quick search of ATS' awesome database BEFORE starting another "what do you put in your BOB?" thread. The threads are endless!!!! and there is some great and original information contained in those threads!!! No need for all of the reruns!!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I just wish people would do a quick search of ATS' awesome database BEFORE starting another "what do you put in your BOB?" thread. The threads are endless!!!! and there is some great and original information contained in those threads!!! No need for all of the reruns!!

Like I said to the other poster why even post? It is like you have nothing better to do in life. Go and troll another thread.
I hate to tell you but trolling is a much bigger problem on ATS then repeat threads.

Battery storage is always on my mind it seems I am always looking for small waterproof containers. I really like otter boxes they are cheap and really well made. Pelican also makes them but they are kinda pricey.

Also these little keepers are great for you fire kit. And anything small you want to keep dry and safe.
edit on 15-10-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Did not mean to insult. I guess I've just been around contributing to the survival threads for far too long and have seen the BOB topic come up time and time again. In other forums threads are shut down all the time due to duplicate topics. Relax!!

I love gear too. Which is why I regularly contribute in this Forum. People just need to search a little before posting!!

Otter boxes are great but spendy, I've seen some clear plastic water tight cases in the camping Section of Wal Mart for far less money. Definitely not as strong as an otter but you could safely store plenty of batteries for little money.

For non breakables I use these www.loksak.com... in a variety of sizes and configurations
edit on 15-10-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this counts as "gear" - but I think everyone should have a lice comb and if you have a pet with you, you should have a flea comb. I have never had to use a lice comb, but I have used flea combs on my cats and they work pretty well.

Sal

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I am a gear junkie, and this is my most basic kit.

Buck folding saw, lightweight, strong and invaluable imo.

Mora knife, very good, sharp and cheap knives, ideal for wood cutting. Together with the Buck saw the only tools I really need.

I have more sturdy and more expensive knives, but I really like the Moras.

Folding shovel, a bit heavy but would never leave without it.

Bcb cup. Probably the best.

Tatonka kettle for over the fire with usable lid.

Awesome Coleman F1 stove. Very powerfull, especially for its size and fits in the bcb cup when dissassembled, together with the small gas cartridge.

Titanium spork.

Katadyn Vario waterfilter. If it works it is great, but clogs op and blows up o-rings pretty quickly, not really satisfied with this one, still looking for an alternative.

DD lightweight Multicam tarp. I use it with a cheap average hammock, and it is great.

For the rest, I use an old Airforce sleeping bag and also carry different types of rope, cords, tape and tie rips and such, a folding pocket knife and a camo poncho.
edit on 28-10-2012 by WoodSpirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WoodSpirit

Hi buddy great kit. If you are having problems with your water filter try the pocket once I got over the price shock I was very happy with it.
It is built like a tank no more breaking stems for me.

Also I love the tarp I am a multicam junkie. From my vest to my pack to my clothes all MC. It is the best all around camo.

And I might as well add another good piece of kit every BOB needs. A good flashlight. You have Surefire,Streamlight,Pelican,Insight...etc.

I love the insight HX series they are cheap and built to last. I have the 120,150,200. I love them all. They are every bit as good as a surefire and a fraction of the cost.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Personally, I'm a big fan of items that have a LOT of uses or small-sized items...so, takes up less room in the BOB.

Of course, there are basic BOB things to have (Canteen, good knife, food, etc.)...but my favorite small or multi-use items...

1) A hand crank radio/flashlight/cell-phone charger (a lot of great tools in one, and most run around $30)

2) A Gerber multi-tool (Swiss Army knife with pliers...simply a must).

3) A good, military grade survival knife, with the handle storage kit (take a lot with you, in a knife that can be strapped to a leg...matches, fishing gear, compass, etc.)

4) Credit card tool (credit-card size and shape, but has different tool openings in it, easy to carry)

5) Military can opener (just because it is so small and so useful, credit card type size, not a lot of uses, but it's one use is awesome for the room it takes up in your BOB)

6) Metal canteen with canteen cup (you can boil water in it, and heat up food in the cup)

7) Duct Tape (there are so many uses for this stuff...bandages, repairs to tarps, restraints, and you can make all kinds of things out of it)

8) Cigarettes (I don't smoke, but these are small, easy to carry, and in a SHTF event, may be good for trade, and it'd be trading something I don't need or use, keep in a good case to keep them in good shape).

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You mentioned cigarettes and that made my think about one of Les Stroud's episodes where used a cigar to "transport" his fire when he needed to break camp. Slow burning with just enough air to keep it glowing.

Good list! For Duct tape I still keep a little of the silver stuff for blisters etc but I have totally worked Gorilla tape into the kit. That stuff is amazing. I even keep a length of it wrapped around a key fob on my key chain. It comes in handy for quick on the fly repairs in a non survival world and even better out in the bush.

I also keep some "tenacious tape" and ripstop sail repair tape handy for quick fixes of light weight nylon gear.

www.sailrite.com...

www.mcnett.com...

edit on 22-2-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

reply to post by popcornmafia

You WILL run out of bullets

Not before i got your gear

How can I be as badass as you? Is there a school I need to go to? Some kind of correspondence course? A film or presentation?

Clearly, you've outsmarted everyone and John Rambo is based on you.

Bullets will be around for a long time

You will just need to replinish your stock when you get low... Unfortunately you will need to take it from someone

For example, my Uncle has saved up nearly 40 k rounds of mostly 5.56 and various pistol rounds. Do you think hes the only one in the U.S. that has a large stock of bullets? If he gets taken out by someone, his supplies will be raided and now someone has all them bullets.

People bury caches of guns,ammo,and supplies. Many people have themselves setup to be able to reload for years to come. Or if the government goes crazy and turn into our enemy you can take it from them. I watched a video on liveleak a few weeks back showing a group of chechens and the guns and ammo they scored after hitting some Russian supply trucks and man oh man was I super jelly over all the sweet supplies they acquired.

When SHTF, people will prey upon other people and take their stuff

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

When SHTF, people will prey upon other people and take their stuff

No doubt, but being armed certainly makes you a much less preferable target...even raiders will weigh risk/reward factors.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join