It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gear Junkie

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I have seen many posters asking what should they put in their BOB. I love me some good kit, so I wanted to start a thread were posters can give and receive good tips on tech and gear.

Ya never really know if a thread is going to make it or fall off the ATS map forever. Hopefully this will be a good place for lists of gear and also tech and good tips.

Here is some of my best kit-------

My main pack is a Eberlestock G4 operator I have found they make some of the best packs. I also like Kifaru,Mystery ranch,Eagle,London Bridge,Maxpedition.

A good water filter is a must have I started out with a Katadyn hiker pro. The in nozzle broke off while in my pack so instead of replacing it with another hiker pro I instead upgraded to the Katadyn pocket. This is a really great piece of kit. Spend the extra money if you can and get this instead.

My tent is a Raven Designs A2. It is one of coolest things I have ever seen it is a hikers dream and it is 4 season. Light and strong this guy makes tents for the navy seals so you can imagine how good they are. I cant wait to see how it holds up to heavy snow and high wind. I bet it can take it the guy who makes these is a true artist.

If anyone else has some gear they really like please post about it.
edit on 14-10-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have come to appreciate the common machete. It is light and can be easily sharpened. I have two, medium and large. And I carry the Cold Steel AK47. Best utility knife I have ever carried

A Gerber multi tool is next. Not the expensive type. Mid grade

A drywall hammer. Full metal handle. Good as a hatchet and a defensive tool

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

I have wanted to try the cold steel. I use the Gerber Jr.

I also have the Gerber suspension it is only 25 bucks and worth every penny. But I must say I like my Leatherman mut a little more.

Gerber makes great stuff I use the lmf 2 and it is I believe one of the best knives. I wish I could afford the Buck survival knife but it is very expensive.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Also if anyone has any info on Benchmade knives I would love the insight. I have gone back and forth over the money issue and if it is worth it.

And if anyone has tried a product and hates it please let us all know so we don't buy it.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Cost is a big factor for me. I train weekly with my gear so I have come to settle on these products due to their cost and effectiveness. I get cold steel for 50%. And you will love the AK47's pocket release mechanism. I have yet to find an effective alternative to releasing the blade out of the pocket as effective.

I am going to research your pack next.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Equip 2 Endure (website) has a bunch of field gear testing videos up (more knife testing than anyone wants to watch, IMHO) but I'd suggest going there and checking out the gear tests.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone

Cost is a big factor for me. I train weekly with my gear so I have come to settle on these products due to their cost and effectiveness. I get cold steel for 50%. And you will love the AK47's pocket release mechanism. I have yet to find an effective alternative to releasing the blade out of the pocket as effective.

I am going to research your pack next.

Ya cost is a huge factor for me also.
I have slowly upgraded over time and thankfully have a great understanding wife.

I used to use alice packs and they are nice, but I love my Eberlestock. They make many different styles and sizes. Also I would suggest buying directly from them or a certified dealer. There are many cheap knock offs.

I will check out the cold steel website I am in need of a good folder.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Equip 2 Endure (website) has a bunch of field gear testing videos up (more knife testing than anyone wants to watch, IMHO) but I'd suggest going there and checking out the gear tests.

Hay thanks for the link I will check it out later.
It is good to learn from others mistakes because as we all know kit is very expensive and if you can get the best deal for you money it is all the better.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
All of that gears useless without the most important

PIECE exactly that.

What kind of piece you packing.

Beretta p92 is one of the best and the INOX is just sexy

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Got a Maxpedition Falcon pack the other day - Its an awesome backpack, perfect for a BOB.

I highly recommend if you are looking for one.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hasn't this type of thread been done a few dozen times?

Can we please move on from the BOB? People are pretending it's some kind of GECK.

It simply exists to sustain you for enough time to get away from danger, not jumpstart civilization.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by popcornmafia

You WILL run out of bullets

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Not before i got your gear

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Exactly the best weapon is the one that uses the ammo that is abundant. Namely a 22 and 12 gauge.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by popcornmafia

Not before i got your gear

How can I be as badass as you? Is there a school I need to go to? Some kind of correspondence course? A film or presentation?

Clearly, you've outsmarted everyone and John Rambo is based on you.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Which is why I also consider my glock19, 2 Blackhawks and my 12 gauge to be important. Short term. But I'm thinking long term

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Which is why I also consider my glock19, 2 Blackhawks and my 12 gauge to be important. Short term. But I'm thinking long term

For the real long term blackpowder is the way to go. Mainly because you can make it yourself. Or just go native and use a bow and arrow.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I recently learned how to make a bow from 3/4" pvc. Could pull it out of a wall in a house if need be

YouTube PVC bow. Is a hoot

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 14-10-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Hasn't this type of thread been done a few dozen times?

Can we please move on from the BOB? People are pretending it's some kind of GECK.

It simply exists to sustain you for enough time to get away from danger, not jumpstart civilization.

No offense but why even post a reply? I usually try not to respond to trolls but this thread I started. If you dont want to contribute find another thread to troll.

Many people including myself are always looking for new tips or tricks and real world gear reviews. It seems threads like this usually fall victim to the ATS trolling squad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join