It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Unavailable" caller is really starting to annoy me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I've been getting calls on my cell phone from someone whose number is unavailable. In other words, they have blocked their number from being displayed.

What I get if I answer the phone is a recording saying there is an important message for me and to hold on the line. I did wait once and what I got was another recording saying all representatives are busy and to keep holding. I didn't keep holding because I'm on a prepaid phone and whatever air time I use comes off of my account balance. I know they are some kind of telemarketer. They call 3, 4, or 5 times a day and have been doing this for the past three weeks or so.

There isn't an option on my phone to block individual calls. I have a setting that only allows numbers that are on my contacts list, but that isn't good because I occasionally get calls from other people that I need to talk to. My phone has been registered on the do not call list for several years. I have a Google number that rings my cell phone, but it's not the Google number they're calling because it would show up on my home phone also. My carrier is US Cellular and there doesn't seem to be anything they can do about it.

What I would like to know is if anyone else here has been getting these calls, if anyone has any information on these people and any advice on what I might be able to do about it. Hopefully someone here can help me out with this because these calls are really starting to get to me.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My guess is someone gave your number to a bill (debt) collector, which is unfortunately commoner than one may think. Sorry dude that sucks. I recommend actually (time permitting of course) waiting and talking to them to get to the bottom of the issue, because it could be that simple.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
You are on a call list for an autodialler, unfortunately, you will have to stay on the line until you finally reach a real person. At which time you tell them you want them removed from every list they have and put on their do not call list. Stay on the line and ask for a manager to confirm this has happened. At which time tell them you also want their corporate information which you should record for future reference. (In case they call again.)

Mind you, you are putting yourself on the do not call list of whoever is calling you. Which means you may receive the same thing from other companies. Which is why it's good to log the info. Also, some organizations are exempt from DNC status, but once you specifically ask them to remove you, they have to oblige.

calls from organizations with which you have established a business relationship;
calls for which you have given prior written permission;
calls which are not commercial or do not include unsolicited advertisements;
calls by or on behalf of tax-exempt non-profit organizations.

www.fcc.gov...

If you are in Canada it's pretty much the same thing.

edit on 14-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Document the times and duration of the offending calls and notify your service provider.

In some instances they can offer call blocking for unknown numbers or at least direct you to someone that can help you.

Try this step-by-step instruction guide as well

ehow.com
edit on 14-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
In here we have a registry what we call Robinson registry, you can apply your phone number to be one of those which telemarketers are not allow to call. In here it also denied any direct marketing. I have had my number in that registry since 2000 and do not get any calls from any companies who does direct marketing, i also don´t get any commercial spam mails in my mailbox.

I searched if there is something similar in States and this is what i found
National DO NOT CALL registry
www.donotcall.gov...

Here is more info about this registry
business.ftc.gov...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far.

@ConspiracyBuff: I really don't think it's a bill collector. I've had those calls before and they generally have someone to talk to when I answer.

@boncho: You're probably right about waiting to talk to someone. I'm not keen on that idea because I don't know how long it will be before someone answers and I'll be paying to wait on the phone.

@Sublimecraft: I will try talking to US Cellular in person. They have an office close by. From what I've found searching online, it doesn't sound hopeful.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

All my numbers are registered on the National Do Not Call Registry. These people don't seem to care.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Law can be your friend, just Sue them

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I've heard of a service called TrapCall. It might be worth $3.95 to find out who these people are and try to put them out of business.
edit on 10/14/2012 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Law can be your friend, just Sue them

I would love to, but I have to find out who they are, first.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
A few weeks ago, I was receiving dozens of calls from an unavailable number. If I picked up, it put me on hold, had some advert. in the music they were playing, told me to press a number, and if I wouldn't, the number would hang up on me.

I got the call a total of probably 20 times one week, then my fellow employee's started getting the phone calls.

Honestly, it just stopped one day, for me.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by QUANTUMGR4V17Y

Sounds like the same thing I'm getting. Might even be the same people. The calls might have stopped because they got busted before.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Do you have an Android phone? You can get an app called Root Call Blocker Pro, it's by far the best call-blocking app I've ever used; it will require root however...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Sounds like sales calls to me. A computer calls your number, when you answer, the call is transferred to an agent but if the agent is busy you get call waiting.

Bloody parasites and spam fiends.

Is there anywhere you can sign up to block them in your country? Check online. I just did this in France but it only works for personal numbers I think, no good for business lines.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
N3k9Ni
I get these calls all the time and I'm on a land line if its not Unavailable its Toll Free these 2 are relentless in there calling..I'm also on the no call list but i did get them to stop..

When they call i started answering them.. Tell them not to call because there calling a privet group home and by law none of the residents can talk to them including you and if it happens again you will have to report them and that will mean a huge fine..
Ive not had them call me since i did this, so maybe it will work for you..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Just be happy it isn't "Daphne from cardholder services". That recorded chick gets my blood pressure up! I waited and went through their menu once (they want to consolidate your credit card debt by putting all your cards on their "low interest" one). They said I didn't have enough debt to qualify, so I asked to be removed from their list. They still call every day. I hate "Daphne"!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I don't have Android, just an old fashioned flip phone.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Boncho suggested I wait until someone actually answers, but it costs me 10 cents a minute to see if someone will answer.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I'm not sure it was "Daphne", but I've had those calls, too. They're supposed to have a "Do Not Call" option, but these people don't.

new topics

top topics

join