It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we get a pet monkey?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hey yall,

Just found out today we got the penthouse we wanted

Its 4000 sqft 5 bed and 6 bath (not relevant to the story just wanted to share)

So anyway myself and my flatmate found the place and we have a friend here we would like to share with, we discussed it tonight and 1 of the topics that came up was pets.
Like most Australians growing up Ive always had at least 1 pet in my house, I normally prefer dogs but since Ive been in Malaysia Ive only lived in apartments and felt it wasnt fair to have a dog inside all the time so cats have been the way forward.

My flatmate says she has never been a fan of cats and wants to get a small dog, she assures me she will walk it everyday so I feel its ok, weve decided to get a puppy and kitten together so they grow up friendly and have company.
Now the guy weve decided to move in with us wants a monkey, Being honest it sounds FRICKEN AWESOME!!!!!!
Seriously how cool would it be to have a monkey?

Before posting this I checked out a few sites that had info on monkeys as pets and other than the commitment being longer than a dog or cat and monkeys needing more stimulation it doesnt seem to hard.

So I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with monkeys as pets and could maybe offer some advice or warnings?

I would love one but would it be happy?

It is legal to have certain breeds of pet monkeys here and they are bought from dealers.
Most likely to get a spider monkey or a capuchian due to them both being very docile and tame.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I don't think you should get a monkey, but I do think you should throw a party in your 4000sq ft penthouse...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Already sorted for the 26th

Invites were sent about 3 min after confirmation we got the place LOL

Free booze, free food and single ladies aplenty

So you coming or what Boncho?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I would not get a monkey to keep as a pet in your home.
Have you ever seen what the monkeys do at a zoo,do you
want it doing the same thing in your home?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I have no experience with monkeys. I know that they stink and can break alot of stuff in your house by climbing on everything. I personally would never own a monkey unless he was in a habitat not in my house.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

So you coming or what Boncho?

Always down for a party.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Party.

No monkey, just party.

Maybe rent a monkey for the party, now that would be cool. A comedian monkey, now that would be the shiznit.

Fk it, lets get a unicorn too

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
You might want to look at this article:

exoticpets.about.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Don´t take a monkey or any primate. they can develop a lot of stress and anger. It might feel like a fun pet to have as it can behave a lot like a human child, but its a beast and belongs to nature not in concrete jungle.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Hey Mama,

That was my concern as well but it Ive been told that the monkeys you can get here have been domestic for quite a few generations and have lost most of that destructive tendency.

The guy who wants the monkey knows of a house monkey that has never been any trouble other than the occasional feces related accident, No houses over here have carpet so not really a big issue for me
As long as he has his toys and a tv he seems happy.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My best friend has a fox that ***** on his stove so I can only imagine where a monkey would find to do something similar...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Party.

No monkey, just party.

Maybe rent a monkey for the party, now that would be cool. A comedian monkey, now that would be the shiznit.

Fk it, lets get a unicorn too

No unicorns in Malaysia, we looked

Best we could do was a pony

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

That was the first article I came across, obviously it turned me off the idea but I read a few others and they werent so grim.

Other things Ive read almost say the same stuff about getting a pet dog.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
My mother and grandfather had a pet monkey...for a short while. It was a constant problem, pulling hair and changing diapers gets old.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Unicorns are everywhere, you just have to believe

I personally don't like the idea of people keeping monkeys as pets. Monkeys are adorable though!!! *jumps up and down, falls, picks herself up*

Erm, where was I? Oh right, I think a puppy dog, a kitty cat and a unicorn would be the way to go.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
get a male baboon. i hear there great pets,and good with children!!!
just dont show dominance,or it will claw and chew your face off with its crazy teeth!

good luck!
oh,and congrads on the new flat. need a room mate? i'm close - canada!!!!

i'll house train your monkey!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

wow! i remember your thread a while ago about your friend and his fox problem(S!)
hope all is well!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

I agree with you 100%

The video you linked is about chimps and I would NEVER get a chimp as a pet

Im talking about 1 of these fellas

BUGGER!!!!!!!! how do I upload a pic from my PC?

Ive got a pic of me with a full grown spider monkey in Thailand, Other than a scratch or a bite its not gonna hurt anyone, my concern is for its well being.

The animal we would get would come from a dealer and it wouldnt want for anything, I agree it should be in the wild but its not, its currently in a cage somewhere.
Ive gotta think we could offer it a better life than that

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Sure! Its a great idea!!!!

For someone who hasnt watched "Outbreak" of course...
edit on 14-10-2012 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Borrow a friend's 2 year old toddler for a month. Care of said toddler is easier than a pet monkey. If you had no problems with a constant in need of attention, always needing cleaning up after, constantly needing observation toddler...then consider the monkey. But remember, the monkey stays the 2 year old toddler for it's whole life.

It can also climb up your curtains....the toddler can't. Also keep at least $1,000 in reserve for exotic pet vet fees at any given time. Pet monkey will put everything in it's mouth and attempt to eat it.

Des

edit on 14-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join