It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does no one care anymore?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

I really didn't give two sh!t$ about an over funded thrill seeker. WHo cares about stupid records. I stopped caring about who could jump the furthest or hold their breathe the longest under water when i was in gradeschool.

Why reach for the stars if we do not even have our crap together at home on earth?? it would be like me spending all my time and money on something as a family achievement instead of knocking out that rent, paying attention to my wife and rearing the kids.

This is in line with sports. The only benefit of space exploration was the advances in technology. Now you do not really need space exploration for that.

Another reason why no one cares about putting man into space is because until you can travel faster in space it is not practical to go there unless it is with robots who you can send and forget till they get to their destination.

The technology is not there to make it relevant. Till the technology can catch up there isn't really much to talk about or get excited about with space exploration.

Also the findings of probes are not very exciting. woop dee doo rocks.. i can go outside and look at rocks. Space is not very compelling. Even if they did find a planet that could harbor life who cares?? you can't get to it. Maybe when we can it will be a topic of conversation and excitement. Til then who cares?? we all know you do but i sure as hell don't

edit on 17-10-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by AussieDingus

You make good points and in a perfect world, sure...all those inventions would have come about at some point without the colossal efforts of war or Space exploration. Let's drop war out of it, as you say, this isn't the place at all.

In a realistic world, I don't think the inventions come at near the rate or quality for their own sake. It requires the enormous efforts so far beyond the level of those 'small' things invented along the way to fill needs, IMO.

If someone had set out solely to invent a product like velcro, I'm sure it would have been different if invented at all. Surely, more commercial somehow. As it was though, they needed a sticky surface that wasn't sticky. Small problem with a huge gap to solve and society is changed forever because of a "little" problem to their thinking.

Again, if NASA was a drain of hundreds of billions for what we get back from it, I'd feel a little burned on the money too. As it is though, 18 Billion is what I believe I saw for 2013. That's nothing in federal terms and while budgets run a few trillion a year. I'd say the 18 billion is just about paid for in JUST the spin off tech that isn't charged at full patent rates and marketed as some miracle invention of a private Corp. All that, AND it keeps workers at the NASA facilities...not to mention, literally, entire sub-industries employed just to support them.

What was the last Government agency you could honestly say (outside of the Pentagon) caused more people to be employed outside the agency than work IN it? Not too bad a deal, since we're spending on a little of everything anyway these days.

But I'm being realistic in saying these things are easily achievable, and when they are achieved, we actually become one step closer to a perfect world. I'm not looking for a Utopia, i'm just looking for what should already be happening if common sense was applied. But common sense isn't so common anymore !

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

After all of your points it still comes down to my original point.
It's a publicity stunt.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
reply to post by boncho

After all of your points it still comes down to my original point.
It's a publicity stunt.

And the sun is a ball of gas burning.

Great description.

Really explains the potential outcomes, as well as benefits/disadvantage of it all.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21
reply to post by Just Chris

8 million isn't really a whole lot relative to the entire population of 7 billion, 1/3 of which have internet access according to this source.

I'll let you do the math

I raise your 7 billion with the fact that the majority of users that have access to the Internet were probably unaware the event was taking place, perhaps due to lack of media exposure in their area.

People care!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
...the majority of users that have access to the Internet were probably unaware the event was taking place, perhaps due to lack of media exposure in their area.

That's my point though. I probably wouldn't have known about the jump were it not for this site. The mainstream was preoccupied with football and soccer that day. People don't care because either a) they don't know about it or 2) they think it's just an attention-grabbing daredevil stunt or 3) advancements in space aeronautics are not important to them.

So you are saying it is important but lacking media attention, badgerprints is saying it's a publicity stunt with no scientific value... which is it?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I hate to burst your bubble but sixty years ago, half the people didn't care about space exploration either. You can't sell an expensive unnecessary program to people so easily. I believe satellites are a necessity for some things but manned space exploration is not necessary. We aren't competing with StarTrek, a fictional program, we live in the real world. Is it necessary to go into space....NO Is it necessary to be filling the skies with space junk?....No How many of those stars are actually stars? How many are space junk?

I don't get exited over sports or Olympic games either..

edit on 21-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

I hate to burst your bubble but sixty years ago, half the people didn't care about space exploration either. You can't sell an expensive unnecessary program to people so easily.

60 years ago people DID care... because we were in a race against Russia to go to the moon. There was also the threat of nuclear war, and people understood that the survival of the human race would one day depend on our ability to survive beyond Earth.

We are so wrapped up in our problems in the present that we will fail to address worse problems in the future.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join