It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congratulations to Felix Baumgartner on 1st Record

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I thought that I heard him say that he felt like he was going to pass out right before his feed was cut. I'm wondering if that is why his parachute was deployed 8 seconds short of the free fall record...

Does anyone know what he said right before he stepped out of the capsule?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Good job, although I guess he's disappointed not to get the longest free-fall record.
edit on 14-10-2012 by zigguratvertigo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Hot air pulled him up, gravity pulled him down and technology made sure he didnt die.

Was there any skill involved?

Not much skill involved admittedly, but two vital aspects - COURAGE and DETERMINATION, which sadly, is often lacking in humans when the time comes for it....

I remember my first jump at a mere 15,000 ft. The ground was incredibly 'toy R us' small to jump into the air with a piece of cloth. I had to BE butt kick out of the plane so as not to miss the drop zone.

Fortunately, the weeks of training and rehersals made my reactions instinctive during the fall, despite my fears and bewilderment - to continually check for other jumpers around me so as not to collide with them, align myself to the drop zone, check the height, etc, and at the right height to pull the rip cord, and in the event of a malfunction, what I am supposed to do, which did happened in some other flights which allows me to be here alive today.

That's skill, and no robot could replace me without absolute guarantees that it can be a safe flight. Even the recent Mars mission needed human monitoring and control to ensure it landed right.

As to the vital aspects, Baumgartner is without doubt, a courageous man who will forever be in history books of mankind as well as his crew that made it possible.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Well done on your jump
. Its not something i've ever really wanted to do myself. Ive done plenty of extreme sports in my time and did a lot of free climbing for years but i've always thought that parachuting was just a little bit to much dependent on chance for my liking.

Though i have done paragliding , its the whole chute opening part of parachuting that bothers me.

edit on 14-10-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

What about this man and his achievement?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Hot air pulled him up, gravity pulled him down and technology made sure he didnt die.

Was there any skill involved?
well why dont you try it tough guy and find out
edit on 15-10-2012 by misterbenjaminallannewman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thanks. I had only done what thousands had done before me and made it safe for me and the next generations. The pioneers are the great ones, for without them and their courageous attitude, pushing boundaries with their precious lives, we mankind may still be living in caves, and staring at the moon in awe....

Some of them died in the process of experimentation, but by their very deaths, they had allowed mankind to be aware of what their mistakes had been, and for humanity to correct them, so that the rest will not suffer what they had gone through. We mankind owe our progress and evolution to these courageous people. Their sacrifices had not and will not be in vain by the evidence of our progresses.

Felix Baumgartner is one of such brave illuminary of mankind. He led the way for the rest of mankind to fearlessly progress in ways that we never knew we could, or fear we could not in the name of science advancement and human endeavour.

He and his team deserves all the accolades heaped today. May more of youths be as courageous as Felix and inspired enough to go into science and engineering studies to help mankind push boundaries, instead of focussing on being accountants - bean counters.

I had never been a fan of 'energy drinks', but from now on, I will buy a bottle of Red Bull daily for my excercise regime, the funder of the project over years, not because I believe in such drinks, but because they supported the progress of human endeavour, pushing the limits, with their earnings and hopefully more to come, unlike most corporations of our world whom had only paid their executives obscene sums and hoarded funds in a world needing economic support.

May more corporations be societally responsible as Red Bull Corp had been, to help in the progress and evolution of mankind, instead of hoarding wealth. Democratic govts alone do not have enough funds to take mankind to the stars, not with the kind of social expenditure humanity needs. Tyrannies will never get to the stars, for its very own concept of governance will only lead to bitter infighting and corruption than progress.
edit on 15-10-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by the2010apprentice

Wow.

What a great achievement for mankind.

It's exactly what we needed to make this world a better place... Not.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2010apprentice

Click here for more information.

bla bla bla bla
oops sticky keys disabled

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join