It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! 26 Yr Old is Dying Without Family and Insurance. Hospital is Discharging Her Today Without Pai

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I know this might be an odd request, but due to the lack of time, I can't research for hours today because of this situation, so I thought I'd reach out to the ATS community for suggestions.

My daughter who is 26 yrs old grew up and went to school with another girl who is also 26 yrs old. For privacy reasons, let's call the girl Autumn.

Autumn's biological mother whom she was raised by is now an active prostitute and alcoholic. Autumn is married to a guy who works for minimum wage and who is also an alcoholic. Autumn and her husband live with his parents and his mother just got out of a 90 day rehab for methamphetamine addiction. The father is also an alcoholic. Wanted to paint a picture of where this girl came from along with her "family".

Autumn's drinking continued to escalate to a point where she was drinking vodka every waking hour. She has never worked and literally sat home drinking daily. Sounds like a terrible person, but what is inside of her is a hurt little girl who was raised by a prostitute/alcoholic without anyone in her life helping to advise her down a better path.

Autumn and my daughter meet for lunch maybe once a month. My daughter said she thought Autumns liver was failing as her arms were like twigs and her stomach extended. Autumn is a small framed young lady weighing apx. 115 lbs. so any extension of her abdomen is easily noticed.

My daughter saw her deteriorate and told her she probably needed to go to the hospital to get looked at. My daughter drove her to the hospital 10 days ago. It was determined that Autumn is in end-stage liver failure. Her only chance at surviving the next few months is with a liver transplant.

Nobody, not one person besides my daughter has went to see Autumn. My daughter talked to her husband and mother and neither will come due to visiting hours interfering with their alcohol consumption. My daughter was asked by the nursing staff if Autumn would give Power of Attorney to my daughter so she could help make the critical decisions.

Autumn told my daughter "I can't believe I'm dying from drinking! I'm only 26 yrs old. I feel as though this happened overnight". Autumn is despondent and in disbelief she is dying and will die within a few weeks. The nurses and doctors highly doubt she has months to live due to complete shut down of her liver and now kidneys are suffering with total toxicity within her body. What happens is she is hallucinating due to the toxins in her body. Autumn is in tremendous pain. This is part of why I need to figure this out and help this poor girl.

California state law says that a liver transplant cannot happen (as most of the times, it's Medicare or state aid paying for the operation) until successfully completing 90 days of alcohol rehabilitation. That is impossible now as Autumn's condition is critical.

Autumn is currently in the hospital, but the hospital said they are discharging her today as they cannot do anything more for her. They have not offered one solution. I found out that Hospice might be an alternative, but is there a physical place she can go live the next few days/week of her life without going back to a house riddled with alcohol abuse?

Her blood pressure last night was 78/52, so she is fading fast. She can't live with my daughter as she has two younger children and a husband and it would be too much to introduce a dying friend into her home. I'm just being real. There is no where for her to go, the doctors won't even discharge her somewhere else, like a nursing home. She will have no pain medications and she just cries in pain daily. The nurses are disgusted that a county doctor came in and told her they cannot keep her, when the day before she was told she was going to Loma Linda Hospital. There has been no options of end of life care provided.

How in the hell does this happen in 2012 where we can throw a dying person in the street without options? We have laws to treat various animals better than we provide or care for a human being? I live 2 hours away and I'm seriously wondering if I shouldn't take her in myself, but I don't know who would care for her while I'm at work. I'm so pissed off about this I could scream!

What are the options for someone dying who doesn't have health insurance? How can I stop her being discharged today, Sunday as none of the governmental offices are open today? Is there a physical place like Hospice where she can go and be cared for and given medication while she dies?

Thank you for helping to figure out this time sensitive end-of-life problem today!
edit on 14-10-2012 by curiouswa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well I am sorry to be reading your post today, but I know the UK has the same problem, girls drinking from morning to midnight, they wont listen to warnings about drink damage will do, 90% of girls smoke too so females life span has dropped lots the last 5 years in UK from age 77 ave to 61 ave now.
It wont be nice seeing her die with that sort of illness either, even if you were not working you wont manage well I can tell you, you need professional support.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Technically she should die. I'm sorry but we can't save everyone. It's her family's fault and her family's responsibility.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear of your Daughter's friend. This is one of those times, I feel, all you can do is Pray for her. I don't know of any agency that would take on her case considering she only has been given days, to weeks to live.

It's unfortunate that her whole life, and environment has been wrapped around drinking, and drugs. She deserved a better family. But, this last minute effort on your part to make up for the family she didn't have, will only make you feel worse than you already do. What she needs is people who care, to be with her during the time she has left. So she doesn't feel so abandoned and alone in her last days.

Again...I'm so very sorry. Life is so unfair sometimes.

Des

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by curiouswa

Religion goes on about free will etc...but when people are born into negative environments..and not given any positive role models to follow...they end up living and dying like this..its a viscous circle...and everyone knows it...but we have the Romneys of this world blaming half of society for being dependant on the state etc...without facing the facts, that people are programmed from birth to be depndants or addicts or criminals...due to the environments they are born into...sure you will get one exceptional good luck story, every once in a while...of where someone made it out of the gutter...Jenny from the block or some nonsense like that...and the media hype up these people as golden examples to the rest of society..that we can all make it...but its a confounded lie used to give the masses hope...when in reality there is very little hope for you unless you were born into the right environment in the first place...people who have adverse circumstances not only have to battle everything around them but they have to battle their own negative programming, which is almost impossible to do .
Your story is a tragic story but an all too familiar one... that's why we have the Mitt Romneys of this world, who always get to the top, and its almost always...due to the fact that the elites are lucky enough to born into great environments. No doubt America will keep buying into the lie however...the American dream...was only ever a dream...an illusion to subdue to masses into believing they had free will...and that they too could one day be a somebody.
You are now seeing the actual facts of reality. But id also warn you about trying to help a self destructive person...its sad to see someone, especially so young..ending up like this...but her life was over from the first day of birth...thats how it is.
If you want to find her free health care...i suggest sending her over the border to Canada. I believe they are somewhat more humane there.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I also am very sorry to read about "Autumn." The circular nature of addiction in families is so hard to break and I commend you on seeing her as more than an addict but as a person in emotional pain, using addiction to self medicate.

I would advise calling your county health department if you are in the US and telling them of the situation (on a Sunday they would be closed though, I'm assuming). You could also try calling some churches in the area as they may know of resources too. I know hospice usually comes to a person's house and it's possible that she may need to go back to her home (even though it's a bad environment) and have hospice there. I thought that there were hospice type houses as well but I can not be sure. I agree that our system is sorely lacking when it comes to end of life issues for those that are uninsured and/or homeless.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

A political rant, is not appropriate to this thread. just saying....

Des

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

Just to clarify...

edit on Sun Oct 14 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Contact Social Services. I'm sure they can probably help. They may pay for a home nurse, or a hospice. They have funding for emergency health care, etc.

Give it a try.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hello, this is the link for the California's Patient Advocate Office. It might be a good idea to contact them. www.opa.ca.gov...

Another option to consider is taking her to the ER of a different hospital to see if they may be able to actually do their job & look out for their patient well-being, possibly even help get her a waiver for the 90 day requirement if she goes directly to rehab after a transplant.

Sad to say, but it sounds like the hospital that released her just wanted to dump her off on your daughter, thinking no one would bother fighting for this girl & the problem would just go away. Releasing a patient that is not stable, at least I think, is a big no-no.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is why the USA should have nationalized healthcare.

Have you tried calling charities or organizations?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

WTF? Read the post. She IS DYING! The question is how to let her die with comfort and pain free!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Good advice. I just got off the phone with the charge nurse and she said to take her to the ER of Loma Linda. They cannot coordinate a transfer of care as she has no insurance. We are going to do that.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Glad to hear that she has a chance to maybe get the help she needs. Also, let your daughter that her friend can request a patient advocate if she doesn't think she is getting the care she needs or if they try to discharge her again.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Unfortunately, the link is a patient advocate website for those with health insurance:

Mission: To inform and educate consumers about their rights and responsibilities as health plan enrollees and to teach them how to make best use of the services offered by their health plans. The Office of the Patient Advocate (OPA) is an independent state office established in July 2000 in conjunction with the Department of Managed Health Care. The OPA was created to represent the interests of health plan members to get the care they deserve and to promote transparency and quality health care by publishing an annual Quality of Care Report Card. The OPA has three primary functions: Consumer Education: Create and distribute educational materials, and perform and coordinate public outreach throughout California Public Reporting: Develop an annual Quality of Care Report Card including but not limited to health care service plans. Collaboration: Work with government and nongovernment patient assistance programs; make referrals and recommendations to the Department of Managed Health Care.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Sorry, I mistook this link for the patient advocates they have in hospitals, but it might be worth a call to them because they could likely point you to the proper place to get an advocate that would work for her.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I get the feeling you made this post because you are a caring person who feels that no matter how little you can do, you must for the sake of being able to look yourself in the mirror and to remain comfortable in your own peace of mind, try and do something.
Being realistic, if you don't help her initially, chances are no-one will, it is possible you are the only person who actually cares enough about her to really want to help her.
If you really do want to help her, having someone to look after her while you are at work, shouldn't get in the way, she would be socially destitute anyway without your help.

If you did take her in, at least she would be receiving minimal care whilst the time consuming process of finding a charity or other funding to provide assistance to her can be arranged.
It is appalling that someone in such a condition cannot get the basic end of life care she so obviously needs.
I hope you can find it in your heart to provide the initial care she needs, will social services provide any help to you?, i know in the UK the social services would get involved in a case like this, being able to say to yourself that you did everything you could, will at some point determine just how you feel about yourself when you look in the mirror.
I can see a very difficult and emotional road ahead, if you do decide to help, no matter how bad it gets, maintain your love.

edit to add, you are a very very beautiful soul i pray the universe sees you, and the tumblers of fate fall into place and you get all the help you need. x

edit on 14-10-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yes, we will certainly do that. The problem is most of these offices or staff do not work weekends. We are going to pitch a major fit and refuse for her to leave the hospital today until various offices open tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That's a very sad story, and I admire your actions in trying to find help for her and her last days.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Sounds like you have a good plan of action. And can I just say, we need more people like you in this world. This girl has no one to fight for her and you & your daughter have stepped in to help the best you can. Brings a smile to my face knowing that there is good left in this world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join