It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Troubled' Families Could Be Legally Banned From Spending Benefits On Alcohol And Tobacco

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
As it says in the OP, there is no stipulation with any benefit that you have to buy/use it for whatever it is supposed to be for.
Even housing benefit, if it doesn't go directly to the landlord, can be spent on anything else. There's nothing to say you HAVE to give the money to your landlord. That's just what that money is supposed to be for.

Seems to me that Iain Duncan Smith is trying to implement food stamps in the UK.

Personally, I think that something should be done. But I don't know what. I know a couple of families with kids who are pretty much neglected because the parents prefer to buy booze or fags. It's selfish and irresponsible.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia
reply to post by andy06shake

If thats the case they need treatment and not collusion to keep up their addiction. Smokers

get help to stop smoking getting perscriptions for nicotine patches etc? Drug addicts get

substitutes and counselling? So why does the alcholic get just what they need to fuel their

habit?

In the long term health issues regarding the liver etc.make it an increasing burden and cost

to the NHS. Surely a very short sighted solution ?

Mate have you seen these poor people? They can hardly feed themselves and function in every day society never mind attend counselling. I agree that they should be helped to better themselves and beat the social trap and afflictions that keep them getting anywhere in life. But you cannot force a horse to drink(Well maybe Vodka, lol in alcoholics case). People are still just that. We cant corral them into submission, it has to be there decision. Telling them what they can spend there money on today wont end there, of that you can be most assured.

Funny how when it all goes down the crapper due to the Bankers and super rich the first thing our politicians do is pick on the week and feeble minded. Human nature is so flawed is it not?
edit on 17-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sostratus

reply to post by dayve

Thats like giving your kid an allowance and telling them what they can and cant buy...

Actually it's nothing like that, allowance is given for doing chores - it is earned.

So what if they are less fortunate

So what if they are, I already said I don't mind my money helping them, please explain how alcohol & tobacco helps them.

Besides. When I give my kids an alowance, I don't let them use it for booze or tobacco either.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
As it says in the OP, there is no stipulation with any benefit that you have to buy/use it for whatever it is supposed to be for.
Even housing benefit, if it doesn't go directly to the landlord, can be spent on anything else. There's nothing to say you HAVE to give the money to your landlord. That's just what that money is supposed to be for.

Seems to me that Iain Duncan Smith is trying to implement food stamps in the UK.

Personally, I think that something should be done. But I don't know what. I know a couple of families with kids who are pretty much neglected because the parents prefer to buy booze or fags. It's selfish and irresponsible.

Think of the poor kids in these socalled "Problem Familys". What do "They" think is going to happen. Just because there parrents cant buy Alcohol and Tobacco doesn't mean there are going to turn around and start buying there siblings fresh fruit and vegetables! Its just so short sighted its laughable!

Political Scum that they are!

To hell in "There" hand basket is where we are all going if this keeps up!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
You know what these "Problem Familys" are rather resourceful to a kind of fasion!

My bet is they Google the raw ingredients and seeds required to produce there own Alcohol and Tobacco and pay for said products with "There" A&T restricted cash cards. Now wheres there Tax and VAT gone??? Maybe its a good way to encourage them to start there own business(Joke coz the Tax man would want his slice of there pie!). LoL

Dont discount this notion, its hardly as product intensive as the production of Crystal Meth(methamphetamine) and the poor in the USA(Im lead to beleve) manage to accomplish this feat with relative ease and a basic elementary knowledge of chemistry!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluemoonsine

Thank you for sharing that information. I agree completely with it and have been aware of such for quite some time. It is also why all of those 'natural' drugs are illegal.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Well if thats the case I feel sorry for those people! Lets just create lots of ghettos like the NAZIS!

My GP says I need to get off the alcohol before it does me long term damage.

Had an appointment yesterday with the SOLE drink counsellor in our area and he's gone to do an "action plan" for me, however if he's ill/on holiday there is no-one to help. Even my twisted drunken mind thinks that that is wrong.

I drink as I would rather not be here on this planet BUT i have created a son and I am here solely for him.

YES if I topped myself it would save the UK government money but that would also mean one MORE messed up kid.

I turn to alcohol to get me through, I certainly dont claim to be any better than any one of you, I just want to be left alone BUT some people just keep picking holes!

Whenever benefits are cut its inevitable that crime will go up. Maybe not in David CaMorons backyard but wherever the normal people live there will be more crime.

When people sense there is no hope you can expect nothing less!

Check out Ill Manors!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

A open Discovery session with the facts at hand in an open court session with the public behind it with the assistance/support of a consortium of organizations could change everything as the facts cannot be disputed. The people and various support groups need to band together and Make the Change. It certainly won't change on it's own and with enough publicity/support the facts will come out and the people will get behind the movement for everyone benefits less the scoundrels. L8ter.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by souljacker

And you think this is setting a good example to your son??

Unless you do something for and to yourself, You are the example he will grow up to aspire to!

Somewhere along the line we all have to take responsibility for ourselves.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by souljacker

Keep you chin up buddy and try and get the drink under control. Remember everything in moderation. There is allways light at the end of the tunnel!

All the best a luck!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Hey! I have a GREAT idea!!!

OK, so we take the folks that are getting welfare/foodstamps/assistance and are able bodied and under a certain age without any extreme illnesses that would prevent them, and we have them show up at a certain place every day and perform activities that determines how much assistance they get. If they don't show up, they don't get the assitance that was attributed to that day. If they don't perform the activities, they either get kicked out of the program or lose a certain amount of assistance. The assistance will be totally dependent upon their own actions!

...oh wait.... that's a job isn't it? And the assistance would be called a "pay check"?? Wow

hmmmmm

....of course that would require that we also provide opportunities for jobs that people can go to instead of refusing to hire new people because the people in charge want to ensure that certain people don't get re- elected...

We got out of the depression with the public works program. If we want out of this one, we're going to have to do something similar.

edit on 17-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
Hey! I have a GREAT idea!!!

OK, so we take the folks that are getting welfare/foodstamps/assistance and are able bodied and under a certain age without any extreme illnesses that would prevent them, and we have them show up at a certain place every day and perform activities that determines how much assistance they get. If they don't show up, they don't get the assitance that was attributed to that day. If they don't perform the activities, they either get kicked out of the program or lose a certain amount of assistance. The assistance will be totally dependent upon their own actions!

...oh wait.... that's a job isn't it? And the assistance would be called a "pay check"?? Wow

hmmmmm

....of course that would require that we also provide opportunities for jobs that people can go to instead of refusing to hire new people because the people in charge want to ensure that certain people don't get re- elected...

We got out of the depression with the public works program. If we want out of this one, we're going to have to do something similar.

Public work programs sound like a great idea, your right it worked for the U.S. Got them out of the depression.

I just hope that they pay a fair days wage for a fair days work. And not like £10 - £20 extra on to of your JSA!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Pretty simple and straight forward really isn't it.

I think politicians, bankers, industrialists and the associated media deliberately over complicate things.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Pretty simple and straight forward really isn't it.

I think politicians, bankers, industrialists and the associated media deliberately over complicate things.

Well thats there bureaucracy at play regarding complicating matters. I think work programs could be a great idea to get this nation back on its feet and start manufacturing and contributing to the World again. That is as long as the pay is fair and the employees are not essentially used as a slave work force.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Define "fair pay". All the other benefits aside, in the UK the Job Seekers allowance is c. £110 per week. If a normal working week is 40 hours, then that's £2.75 an hour for doing nothing.

Regards

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Define "fair pay". All the other benefits aside, in the UK the Job Seekers allowance is c. £110 per week. If a normal working week is 40 hours, then that's £2.75 an hour for doing nothing.

Regards

Define "fair pay". Thats a thread right there all on its own. Ile try, i need atleast £500-£600(bare minimum) pounds a week to feed, house and provide for my family and life style. I have one little girl and another baby on the way(Due 25th December so Xmas should be a chore from now on me thinks). So i guess thats my definition. Think that works out around £15 quid an hour, minimum wage is what £6.20.
edit on 18-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Regards

Do you have a link for the £110 per week ?
Two of my friends are on jobseekers and only get between £55 and £75.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
You have to think of it like this. My tax payments and your tax payments are going to the welfare system. How do you want the money that YOU worked for being used? For food that humans need to survive or something nonessential to the human body such as Booze. And just because they are addicted doesn't mean that they need it to survive. People choose to drink and not to drink. They don't have that leeway when it comes to booze and smokes. If they can pay for it with their card they must be able to afford food so they don't need the welfare.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lambros56

Are they paying back any Crysis Loans of Bugeting Loans?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Well if the addict parents can not buy their drink/fags ect Then the childrens lives are going to be even worse. As the parents will be cold turkeying. Raving mad and stressed out cold turkey parents. Kids will get hurt just being around them.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join