It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HD 85512b - Yet Another New Super Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This one is 36 light years away, roughly 77 degrees (Farenheit I presume), and 3.6 times the size of Earth.

It's sun is cooler than ours and it's in the 'habitable zone'. It MAY have water.

They won't know more for another year.

Seems we (an observatory in Chile) shoot beams at their sun to see if it wobbles? We measure the wobble to determine the planet's size. EDIT - NO, we do not shoot "beams" - my bad.

Aaargh! Hope they don't shoot our sun back! Edit - I'm so silly sometimes.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 14/10/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: clarify

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
No we don't shoot beams at their sun. If we were to shoot a beam at it the beam would take 36 years to get there and another 36 years for the light to get back here. We just photograph the sun and watch for wobbles.
edit on 14-10-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Thank you! That makes more sense to me to as I wondered how we beat the speed of light.

I'm going with your explanation as it makes more sense to me.

Thanks!

edit on 14/10/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: we

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm sure the inhabitants of Super Earth would not appreciate us calling it that.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
I'm sure the inhabitants of Super Earth would not appreciate us calling it that.

I giggled.

It's America Next!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It would really be something in my lifetime to see us actually reach one of those, although realistically I know it won't happen. bummer

Maybe instead of spending all of the research dollars to drive around on the deserts of Mars they could put those dollars and research into a better propulsion system and start trying to reach these golden zone planets.
edit on 14-10-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Did you look at the date on the youtube video?

This was uploaded last Sept. At least try and put that in your title before you try to pass it off as fresh information.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

We have had an understanding of how to build a propulsion system cabable of interstellar travel since the 1950s en.wikipedia.org......Nuclear pulse propulsion is the cheapest, and at our present state of technology, the most scientifically viable method to get us to the nearest stars....

Unfortunately the engineering challenges of building such an engine/ship are so great the enterprise would bankrupt the planet. So we will have to make do with what we can afford until the costs are within acceptable limits. Which is unlikely until such a time as we have industrialized most of the outer solar system.

Here is a very interesting, educational and award winning article on the subject if you fancy reading up on it further boingboing.net...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Yep, all old news it seems.

Wiki

Discovery

National Geographic

ATS Links:

I DID do a search before I started this thread and came up with nothing but the Diamond Planet and the other new planet from a few days ago. NOW, I re-submitted the same query and came up with a completely new re-prioritized list. I will be asking mods to close and redirect.

Closed and Redirected - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Breaking News - www.abovetopsecret.com...

This same Forum - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

We have had an understanding of how to build a propulsion system cabable of interstellar travel since the 1950s en.wikipedia.org......Nuclear pulse propulsion is the cheapest, and at our present state of technology, the most scientifically viable method to get us to the nearest stars....

Wouldnt a nuclear pulse engine create massive EMP's that would destroy any computers on board?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

It's still interesting and worth considering.

Just wish the discoveries kept coming.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by Atzil321

Wouldnt a nuclear pulse engine create massive EMP's that would destroy any computers on board?

I think the idea is to 'ride the wave' ahead of it. Can't recall. Either way the whole light year thing stands in the way of manned travel. Aren't we still limited to less than the speed of light?
I know they thought they clocked neutrinos faster than light, but later found they were mistaken.

It's going to have to come down to bending space I believe. That, or sleep chambers so that you can sleep the 36 years to get to where you are going.
edit on 14-10-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

top topics

join