It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's happened to ATS??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
This happens every 2-4 years. US elections. 4 years for sure as it involves the POTUS. 2 years if the House presence is important. Breathe and say with me, "Just 1 more month. Just one more month." $50 says the 2012 forum lights up after that.

Lights up like a giant comet clobbering the earth.

Like a super volcano.

Like a massive solar storm.

Like an eight light minute long solar flare.

Like a brilliant flash of magnetic energy flipping the earths poles and throwing the entire planet into chaos.

Like the light of a few dozen EMP nukes shutting down electricity forever.

Like a full scale nuclear exchange based on poor intel and a 12 year old launching a model rocket somewhere in Minnesota.

Like a million saucer alien invasion.

Like the ten million Christmas trees that Wal-Mart puts on display every....September.

I'm out

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Oh how Ameri-centric:

There are many reasons that little new content has been added the last few days. For one it is hunting season and a lot of people are in the woods right now.

Secondly it's a beautiful weekend and people are off having fun with their families. Also it's football season and other people are getting ready for viewing parties or the lucky ones are getting ready to go to the games (not to mention Friday night was highschool games and Saturday was college games besides today being NFL games).

The only reason I'm here and not somewhere else is the spouse has to work all weekend and I've had the grandkid all weekend. I'd take her to the woods but she's a handful when I don't have help to chase her around out there. So while she's playing with toys I'm here.

Because nobody on the internet is from that US state called NOT IN USA

WTF is NFL anyway??? (dont answer that)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Don't be hatin'! I don't understand some of the lingo people from other countries spout off with either.

NFL is national football league (American football, not what we call soccer).

No need to get red faced.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Communications and the English language are not things I have a problem with, I know what NFL is; I just dont care, much like everyone else who lives in NOT USA.

My taking exception of your post was only to highlight that localised events--hunting season, fine weather on the weekend and the like dont really apply to anyone outside of said locality. The nature of the internet, allows for persons all over the world to contribute ideas and thoughts...

do you understand what Im trying to get across?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Yes, as I comprehend the English language quite well myself. The point I was getting at in the post that you quoted is that people are just doing other things. I am sure at different times of the year there are activities that take people away from their internet interactions for a time wherever you live as well.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've been a long time lurker (since 2005), signed up in 2007 (or 2006, forget) as "Frontkjemper". After the forum was hacked, I just never got around to getting my old user back.

Since my time here, I've noticed a lot of people ranting about how "ATS sucks now" and each time, I just rolled my eyes. But this time, I have to agree with the OP. As much as it pains me, ATS is not the same. The claim is that nothing stays the same, and I agree. Change happens to everyone and everything. However, the quality of ATS has gone down a lot since 2005.

There are some awesome threads tucked away in here, threads of a bygone era of this forum. We've gone from "Denying Ignorance" to "Embracing Ignorance" in my opinion. We often bash because someone else believes something different then we do, instead of being able to have a serious discussion around it and being given a chance to either prove or disprove the OP of such threads.

My visitation of ATS has gone down considerably. As has my replies. I still like ATS and every now and again a thread pops up that reminds me of how "things used to be". But they are growing far and few between. All the old members we loved are now gone and/or banned.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by paulvh

Funny thing is I was thinking this very same thing when I opened ATS today. Don't let my newbie time stamp fool ya I used to post under Subjective Truth back in the day.

I miss the old ATS stories. I like political crap but.........I miss the old ATS.

Many good posters are gone I often wonder if they were banned or what.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I have noticed a change in the past few months.

I really noticed the difference with the Colorado shootings. Usually, there are ten people who post before I even notice something. Not with this case, I would notice something and realize no one posted about it.

There were people interested but the level of involvement was pretty low for such a strange event.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Bear in mind its Autumn in the Northern Hemisphere where a lot of posters on the site come from. School's gone back, people are settling in before winter and there is usually a quiet spot at this time of year.

However, it always comes back to this...

Be the change you wish to see.

If the people posting in this thread complaining each posted up their favourite topic, and their take on it, then maybe things would move about a bit quicker?

XL5

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Auricom, you could have requested a new password and got it in your email and it would have been fixed, thats what I did.

What I find strange is that alot of recent stories in breaking news vanish, like the skate board riot. No explaining or anything. I could understand if S.O. said that only conspiracy related topics stay and that its alot more strict then before.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by intrepid
This happens every 2-4 years. US elections. 4 years for sure as it involves the POTUS. 2 years if the House presence is important. Breathe and say with me, "Just 1 more month. Just one more month." $50 says the 2012 forum lights up after that.

Lights up like a giant comet clobbering the earth.

Like a super volcano.

Like a massive solar storm.

Like an eight light minute long solar flare.

Like a brilliant flash of magnetic energy flipping the earths poles and throwing the entire planet into chaos.

Like the light of a few dozen EMP nukes shutting down electricity forever.

Like a full scale nuclear exchange based on poor intel and a 12 year old launching a model rocket somewhere in Minnesota.

Like a million saucer alien invasion.

Like the ten million Christmas trees that Wal-Mart puts on display every....September.

It took the pending end of the world to bring me back after a long absence. Traffic here slows down on weekends,so does the updates on most news sites. Better to seek out new material and add it. If there's nothing to discuss...find something. Or go outside.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

The story isn't gone...it's right here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread may get moved to better forum places...doesn't mean they have been removed.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Not sure if I am right about this, but I think I am.

I have noticed the topics on the home page are the same over the past several days, just as most of you have.

There is something I thought I noticed about the ATS home page, but seems to not be the case over this same time period in question...

Even though the content linked on the Home Page may not be bumped from the front page, due to other new threads, decreasing thread popularity, or increasing popularity of another thread, I have always seen the threads be shuffled about the Home Page every few hours or so.

It may display the same threads on the Home Page, but they are not always in the same position/location on the home page...

This is what lead me to the 'Board Business' forum, to see if any news about a broken ATS format or Under Construction Message is available - because the threads on the current Home Page have not even changed positions. They are in the exact some location on the Home Page as they have been for the past several days.

I remember reading a thread authored several days ago. It was from SO, I think, and it included links to a BETA version of a new ATS Home Page Layout. If I remember correctly, it reported that this new Home Page Layout would be in effect within several days.

Maybe ATS is under going construction to implement the new format seen in the thread mentioned above, or maybe the ATS owners and administrators have decided to 'Take the Money and Run!!...

Hopefully things will return to operating in a similar way we are all familiar with...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

My experience on ATS has been molded by times past... I mean, we could judge what to expect on ATS, relative to what time of year or what time of decade it was.

We knew that in times when school was out, we could expect a different type of thread and reply - based on a more innocent and sometimes naive understanding that reflects a swing in ATS membership age/experience.

We knew that when political times called for the election process to begin, as a new POTUS is to be chosen, we could expect many more political charged threads and debate.

We knew that when school is back in session, we could expect to see more 'Adult' threads and replies....

Same with the other seasons or periodic events, such as the World Cup, Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics, etc...

One thing we (or at least me anyway) never knew about, as a result from the changing seasons, the social/political atmosphere, or regional events that take place periodically, is the time when we should expect no/very little new content.

So what indicators do we need to look for that will signal the time when we should expect little to no new content being added? Would be great to know this, so I can know better when to waste my time here

Really though, it could be helpful to know this. We would know when to look for new, interesting threads to be authored. We'd also know when to start digging through archived threads to discover a diamond in the rough, while we wait for a great, new thread to be authored.
edit on 14-10-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This is the first time I have EVER seen the front page not being updated in over four days. Something definitely is up or ATS is on it's last legs.

Time to find another forum.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by paulvh

You don't have a TV!? Now that is mind boggling.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Yep, prettymuch. I am doing a lot of log splitting these days, getting the old woodpile ready for the maritime winter

Also, hunting season, scouting for the game trails, setting up my rabbit snares etc etc. Fall is a busy time for us country folks

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by paulvh

1. It's called Forum Sliding. It happens here. A lot.

2. go somewhere else for "news" other than a forum.

Try Globalresearch.ca

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by paulvh
The front page ("Home") has had the same top topics for days now!

Looks like something was hosed in the file synchronization routines. The home page is actually auto-generated every five minutes, then propagated across our web servers. The files weren't updated, so something was wrong with the code that moves the rendered pages into position. Restarted the service, all is well again.

No need to make unfounded assumptions just because the site home page isn't updating. A note to myself or any other staff would have been sufficient.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Off Topic....I like your new avi...

On Topic...Thanks for fixing the problem...

Des

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join