It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deepest image of the universe ever taken - 5500 galaxies in 2 arcminutes in size!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Holy cow, trying to comprehend what is really happening in that picture will give you a heart attack and make your brain explode, just insane!!!!

Actually i just had a mini-heart attack trying to take all of it in at once, imagine seeing that with your own eyes??
edit on 14-10-2012 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Nice... I always like looking at the things we don't see very often out in space. That's why I keep a wiki link in my signature, everyone should browse through wikisky at least once in their life.

I am posting mainly because I want to add a link to all the 'Picture of the Day' contributions on the website you linked in the Opening Post.

Here it is, many cool images here for sure!

Edit to Add:

Everyone should have a look at the filament eruption on the Sun - Sept 17th, 2012
edit on 15-10-2012 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
That is swamp gas folks. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Seriously though, I heart these pics.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
When I first saw this image my mind was blown as well. Especially with how far away those galaxies are and how we're looking into the past by, I guess, millions possibly billions of years since that's how long it took the light to get here.

I'm 100% positive there is life in the universe or multiverses, but I'm sure it's not like life as we know it. Probably not life anything like us. Probably would blow our minds to see and try to understand those lifeforms.

Another thing that bothers me is this archaic thinking of propulsion to get to places. Like it would take X amount of years to get to universe B because it is N light years away. Who's not to say other lifeforms couldn't just mentally or astrally project themselves anywhere they want to go, or even humans.

I digress, straying too far off topic. That's a lot of galaxies, and I wish I could just explore one and have my mind and minute perceptions of what I think I know blown away by what I would discover.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

and they set off on this long journey.

imagine their disappointment.

they reach just in time to see bush declare war on iraq.

they scratch their heads. why are they killing themselves with such hatred and violence.

You know, I can't help but think of one thing on this and the movie Contact covered it well. At least in the Book they spent some real focus on it....not so much the movie, come to think of it.

However, imagine the first alien civilizations picking up this antique signal wayyyyy out in the bands their ancestor's used called Television.

so, they tune their insanely futuristic gear all the way back down to our primitive TV transmission frequencies to see what this odd signal is and whether it may be intelligent?

The suspense builds on the alien planet. It's becoming a major media event for the aliens. Yes indeed.. it's taking some time to get clear....

Almost there.........and.....GOT IT!!

OH NO!......Our first transmission with power sufficient to carry a steady stream was Adolph Hitler! (facepalm)

and..THAT is when you really really hope they just come to check things out and don't take the time to catch a few years of reruns to follow the first blast.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
If all of humanity would actually stop fighting and bragging about whos got the most money, the biggest guns, etc. We could all work togeather for a common purpose of exploring the stars. I bet that the extra-terrestrial life thats out there, does not fight over religion and politics.
I really hope that our future generations learn from our mistakes, and learn how to all come togeather and travel the stars, like the way we travel the seas.
For the human race to evolve and not become instinct, we have to learn how to colonize space.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Reminds me of Explorers ( the movie form the 80's )

Showed all the good stuff yet when asked why they wont come, shows the bad.

Remember even if they saw Hitler , then later on they must have seen
Happy Days. 'aaaaaye"

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Space, the final frontier...

I got goosebumps just looking at the image. It's a great shot and absolutely mind blowing. We're a speck of sand in a vast, vast beach. I'd love to visit someday.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

now that is the WOW FACTOR thanks mate
that as blown me away just how big is the universe?
i know we will never know the answer to that
in our life time

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I just thought that when they look in the deep field thingy
its light from millions if not billions of years ago that is seen

you know like they have said they have looked back a billion
years after the big bang .IDK

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
That's nothing, take a look at this image of the universe. Try to count the number of galaxies you see, after you wait an hour for the image to load since it's 253MB.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
That's nothing, take a look at this image of the universe. Try to count the number of galaxies you see, after you wait an hour for the image to load since it's 253MB.

I've tried several times, it keeps telling me there's errors

I love looking at these images from waaaaay out there. I already know I'm just a speck in the wind here on this rock, but it's still humbling to see all of those galaxies. Even if just 1 system in each has (or rather, had, at the time) a habitable planet hosting human-like intelligence, that's 5,500 other cultures in just this picture. 5,500. I'd sell my soul to meet them.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
Even if just 1 system in each has (or rather, had, at the time) a habitable planet hosting human-like intelligence, that's 5,500 other cultures in just this picture. 5,500. I'd sell my soul to meet them.

....And it's just for one star. But there are waaaay much more stars in galaxies.

The smallest galaxies are the dwarf galaxies and contains more or less 10.000.000 stars
Our own spiral galaxy, much more massive than a dwarf galaxy, contains 200.000.000.000 stars
The largest known galaxy, inside the Abell 2029 cluster and which is 60 times as large as our galaxy, contains 100.000.000.000.000 stars.

I'll let you imagine own many stars there are in this small 2 arcminutes portion of the sky which contains 5.500 galaxies...

It's beyond belief...
edit on 15-10-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah

Originally posted by bl4ke360

I've tried several times, it keeps telling me there's errors

I love looking at these images from waaaaay out there. I already know I'm just a speck in the wind here on this rock, but it's still humbling to see all of those galaxies. Even if just 1 system in each has (or rather, had, at the time) a habitable planet hosting human-like intelligence, that's 5,500 other cultures in just this picture. 5,500. I'd sell my soul to meet them.

Too bad the image I posted doesn't load for you, because there are 200,000 galaxies in it lol. And that's only 0.004% of the sky. Here's some more info:
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Bizarre. The link you gave still won't work, but the one from Discover mag works fine. I don't understand that

I'm currently letting it load, and the article is making the wait draaaag on
Now that I read that, and saw the crops, I want to ogle it myself so, so badly.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you ever get around to counting individual grains of sand on this Earth (don't forget the ones under the Ocean), you'll then have a near-count to how many stars there are out there in the Universe we can see. Nevermind the ones we can't see.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

No matter how many times I see deep field images, I am always in a state of AWE! Thanks for sharing this photo with us here. I hope this photo will affect others has it has me.
Carl Sagan had a big influence on me, and just looking at our universe like this puts our little blue mote into perspective!

Not to mention when looking at this, its assuring to know we are not alone here. And while we as humans may never be able to travel these vast distances. I am almost positive there are machines and Robots who make these trips! And are out there right now, making those long distance hauls that mortal flesh just can make.
Granted that is if they are traveling around in the context of how we are thinking about it.
The mortals that travel the universe must have a better and faster way to go about this, Via Wormholes or other unknown to us methods.
Yet I can feel that by using machines, these machines could travel for thousands of years, and not worry about that mortal flesh.
But you would have to think, even if we did send machines to another place. By the time they got out there and traveled for a few hundred years, we would have upgraded the first wave of machines to something better. Hence wave 2 would be one step better, and wave 3 ect ect ect. That is speaking in our context, and how we see things.
How many other humans are out there? That is not counting the countless other life forms.. But just other humans like us. I bet more than we would think.

As for all the life we have here just on Earth, is an example of how diverse the universe itself could be.
How many different types of life forms just on one little blue mote?
Times that by the size of our universe, and just think of all the types of archetypes that are out there!
Mind boggling! And very exciting! It shows us the limited parameters of the human mind, and allows those parameters to expand just a little bit each time.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

And they say that we are the only intelligent beings out there....

I say, think again. Realize the vastness of the Universe.

There's so much that we don't know, but we are more than willing to learn.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

Awesome.

The earth is spining around the sun at 30mps, the sun around the galaxy at around 220 kmps and our galaxy is speeding through space at 1000kmps and now I know there are 5500 galaxies out there too!

I am putting my seat belt on.

S and F.

All by chance eh?

Not a chance.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
All that space, all those planets, all that potential. And were stuck on this rock funding war against each other instead of trying to expand into the cosmos. Primitive. There is no other explanation.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join