It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deepest image of the universe ever taken - 5500 galaxies in 2 arcminutes in size!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I find it interesting that mankind is allways obsessed with how far our technology can take us or how far away we can observe. Like how deep we can go into the ocean or how far a walkie talkies range is. We could be possibly living in the most beautiful galaxy in the universe; and appreciate a picture moreso because its the deepest most far away shot taken yet.

Perhaps there is another race living on the boarders of the expanding universe and pointing a telescope our way, and simply saying isnt this the most beautiful picture of deep space ever?
edit on 14-10-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
yeah people who say that we are alone in the universe actually annoy me quite a bit.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
All those objects look like UFOs.
Anyone with a clue as to how that might happen?
UFOs can look Red or White or Orange or even Green and Blue.
I see a lack of green which fills the ridge of Earth's atmosphere in a recent video.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I always wondered if we could send out a modern version of that viking(?) probe. Launch it in a conventional rocket, but once it gets into space at a safe distance from us, do some sort of controlled nuclear explosion as its propulsion in a vacuum it would haul ass. Onboard would be a small nuclear reactor to keep it powered, put the best available photography equipment on it, maybe a small telescope aswell and send it towards the nearest place of interest.

Yes it would still take years and years to get anywhere, but I just wanna see more photos! Who knows what we could see outside of this 'bubble' round our solar system.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Chalk one up to the silly Rabbit if this makes no sense....

..but does anyone else get a sense of optical illusion when looking at that and the original imagery? I don't suggest deliberate anything...I think they took an absolutely breathtaking image of what is visible from our little corner of space.

It's hard to articulate because it really is more a felt sense than specific mechanical points I can circle and say see? That's the same or a color variance from this one over here, for example.

It's just a strong sense of that field not being, linear --- would be the best term. Like it's partially reflections or lens effects from entirely different areas.

Like I said....Chuckle at the silly Rabbit. It just struck me hard enough to comment on it. Some day we'll all get out there as a species and I think we'll learn first off, we've only been guessing on almost everything to that point.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wow, and to think, all of this was formed when nothing exploded 30 billion years ago

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Oh jeeez ... am not going to sleep properly tonight.

Starred ...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
imagine if you're an extraterrestrial being, your planet just conquered space exploration.

the whole planet is in a state of hope and jubilation, because it has discovered and confirmed for the first time in their history another race of beings, earth.

they do not fear, they feel like they have just found a lost comrade.

they don't know much about them, except their location and that they can reach them. after years of studying rocks and comets, they have found a new friend to work with, to explore with and to collaborate with.

and they set off on this long journey.

imagine their disappointment.

they reach just in time to see bush declare war on iraq.

they scratch their heads. why are they killing themselves with such hatred and violence.

they decide to investigate. they fly around in low orbit and they see aerial crafts dropping projectiles into crowded markets. they see blood, flesh and carnage. grief, crying and dismay.

they fly around the world and see their friends acting like uncontrollable savage animals, taking pleasure in killing.

they contact back home with sadness. these are not people we want to be in contact with.

that's what i get from that picture. if i could i would put a quarantine sign in orbit: extreme danger. leave.
edit on 14-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

none of us are capable of truely comprehending the scale of the universe that is evident by this photo, it just dont fit in our mind,

i think the amount that this impresses someone is a good way to measure just how vast they are able to push the limits of this comprehension of scale.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

Awesome.

The earth is spining around the sun at 30mps, the sun around the galaxy at around 220 kmps and our galaxy is speeding through space at 1000kmps and now I know there are 5500 galaxies out there too!

I am putting my seat belt on.

S and F.

this is what i mean by people not comprehending the scale, you figure there are 5500 galaxies out there and are impressed, but have you realised the scale of where they found them?

hold a pin in your hand at arms length up to the sky at night

the head of that pin is LARGER then the area of space this photo was taken, THAT is where the 5500 galaxies are, whatsmore if they can zoom in even further they may find out there are in incalculable number MORE galaxies in that region, the 5500 is only what are visible in this photo.........
edit on 10/14/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

no no not size of the thumb that is WAY overstating its size, like i said a post ago its LESS then the size of the head of a pin

2 arcminutes to be exact as according to hubble

darkskydiary.wordpress.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Take a look at the OP's photo.....Our galaxy is just one of those tiny dots in a universe fill with galaxies.... Infinite posibilities and so is the posibility for life in this universe. S+F

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

My exact thoughts. Mind blowing. These are my absolute favorite pictures to look at. They never cease to amaze me.

My thoughts: Nature is efficient right? Like it doesn't waste space and material when it doesn't need to. From the micro to the macro. Under that line of thought, how inefficient would it be to have this infinite amount of "space" and matter aside from our tiny little planet all wasted with no other life forms present? It just wouldn't make any sense would it?

F'ing amazing man, what I wouldn't give to cruise the galaxy in a bubble ship.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VariableConstant
The deep field images are absolutely mind-blowing. We have no way to even begin to conceive of the enormity of the universe or what it may hold.

Elvis is somewhere out there...I just have this 7th sense feeling about it

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Our Beautiful Universe..

And Just Imagine how many of those Galaxy's are BILLIONS of Earth years OLDER than our Milky Way....

BILLIONS OF YEARS!!!!.

Oh yes we are alone alright....in our own minds perhaps.

Life is EVERYWHERE. We just have to Wake Up, and take off the blindfold.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The universe is infinite possibilities. Just about anything you can imagine, probably already exists to some extent somewhere. What many in the scientific community realize but rarely talk about is that the universe is most certainly filled with life. It will be confirmed in the future that most stars like our own have planets and moons with life. Most will only support primitive lifeforms. Some will produce sentient beings and fewer still will produce sentient beings that will survive long enough to figure out how to travel amongst the stars.

Perhaps we might survive long enough to figure out how to travel between stars. Right now, that possibility doesn't look very promising.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The entire known universe
Floats suspended in a thin silver bowl
Which rocks gently on the back
Of an immense blue-green tortuga
And the tortuga's scaly feet
Are firmly placed on the topmost
Of seven craggy mountains
Which arise from a vast and arid plain
Of drifting, fetid, yellow dust
And the plain is balanced precariously
On top of a small thin green acacia tree?
Which grows from the snout
Of a giant blood red ox
With 50 eyes that breathes flame
The color of the midnight sky
And the ox's hooves are firmly placed
On the single grain of sand
Which floats in the eye of Bahamut
Like a mote of dust
No one has ever seen Bahamut
Some think it's a fish
Some think it's a newt
All we know is that the lonely Bahamut
Floats endlessly through all time and all space
With all of us and everything
Floating in a single tear
Of his eye

Cool thread

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
imagine if you're an extraterrestrial being, your planet just conquered space exploration.

the whole planet is in a state of hope and jubilation, because it has discovered and confirmed for the first time in their history another race of beings, earth.

they do not fear, they feel like they have just found a lost comrade.

they don't know much about them, except their location and that they can reach them. after years of studying rocks and comets, they have found a new friend to work with, to explore with and to collaborate with.

and they set off on this long journey.

imagine their disappointment.

they reach just in time to see bush declare war on iraq.

they scratch their heads. why are they killing themselves with such hatred and violence.

they decide to investigate. they fly around in low orbit and they see aerial crafts dropping projectiles into crowded markets. they see blood, flesh and carnage. grief, crying and dismay.

they fly around the world and see their friends acting like uncontrollable savage animals, taking pleasure in killing.

they contact back home with sadness. these are not people we want to be in contact with.

that's what i get from that picture. if i could i would put a quarantine sign in orbit: extreme danger. leave.
edit on 14-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

They're just as likely to say, "Wow. These people are GREAT at war! Let's get them to be our allies against the JH#KHJ$$ people on that other planet!"

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Holy crap, that is one hell of a picture. Most of the greatest things i've seen in a while WITHOUT a doubt. Amazing post, thank you OP. I'm surprised this isn't more popular, I feel like the only person around that has such a large interest into space.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I honestly wonder how there are people in the world today who are not interested in space and all its beauty... The shear size is mind blowing, every time I try to think about it (Like Now) I literally feel a weird tickle in the back of my brain, like my brain is telling me "Can't process"..haha....Just incredible beauty out there in the world. And I gotta say, it cracks me up when people believe there is no intelligent life out there other than us... We are far from alone... Hello neighbors of the universe!

S&F OP

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join