It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Character Development for a War Vet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hello ATS, this is Toastman again.

So I'm writing a novel/graphic novel, called the Devil and Molly Hatchet, a tale set in the near future where the Annunaki (sometimes referred to as Demons) and humans are coexisting on Earth, although it is tense time.

My main character is Robert "Bobby" Krieger, a police officer on Angeles Island (chunk of California that broke off after an earthquake), but before, he was a soldier in the Military. His arm was damaged in an explosion and he was fitted with a bionic arm/laser weapon he calls Molly Hatchet because he says he's always "flirting with disaster". Bobby also suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder due to his experiences with the Military and as a mercenary/mine enforcer.

Now I don't want to come off as insensitive, but I want to really capture the terror Bobby feels when he has an episode and researching PTSD does have its benefits, but I want to make it sound believable.

If I could ask anyone who was/is still in the military on how they cope with or is living with PTSD to give me some advice on how to portray my character in a decent light (not a victim, not a crazy person) that would be really nice of you, and I hope to share my story when it's finished.

thanks

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

I can answer that for you. He isolates himself and drinks his self into oblivion and goes into total self destruct mode. His friends and family don't understand so they distance themselves from him. He is truly alone, and insane and drunk and has no direction. On top of that goes to sleep every nigh.......when he can sleep.......wondering why he has killed more people than he has fingers and toes for what reason? Those people he killed, are someones father, son or daughter. There are countless families torn apart because of his hand.,,,,the orphans and sons that will never know what it is like to have a father because of him. For what? Politics? Thats the reality of PTSD and war. That's what happens to you after war, that's what happened to me.......and alot of my fellow soldiers. I don't think it will sell too many comics if you are trying to be real about it. Maybe you should try a more exciting topic or put some kind of spin on it. Just a thought from an old vet.

After you posted this and I replied, just thought I would have a little moose chunker whiskey (I say that in a haha way, I love my Canadian brothers and ESPECIALLY their sisters) and edit some more. So here's my edit. I sit here. I read things like this. You may want to include in your graphic novel.........a man, by all means and as far as everyone around him knows, is a normal every day guy, tucking his only daughter into bed at nigh, giving her a kiss good night and telling her how much he loves her before she nods off to sleep thinking her dad is God incanate. When all he is really doing is going through the motions of what he knows he SHOULD be doing for the sake of his daughters sanity, and he goes to his bed at night and cries and beats his self up over the fact that his life is so perfect. Where is justice and karma? Why should he have this perfect life and wonderful little child when he has destroyed so much and so many families?

edit on 10/14/2012 by billy197300 because: added a little

edit on 10/14/2012 by billy197300 because: added more

edit on 10/14/2012 by billy197300 because: added even more

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

If you want to be honest with your audience in your novel. I think, you can't. There is no way you can do that in a real way. If that person you describe in you graphic novel were real, he wouldn't be someone that would sell copies. He would be someone just like me, posting something that someone will probably not read on some random forum somewhere sad, angry, drunk, alone and wondering why anyone would glorify or make a buck off the living hell that is the aftermath and reality of war.
edit on 10/14/2012 by billy197300 because: added angry because yes I am angry

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

Thanks for the info, billy and I'm taking your thoughts to heart.

Bobby's situation so far is that when he's "okay", he's pretty much detached from society- like he puts on a normal face but is just apathetic and wants to get the job done without gratification. He doesn't like being around large places with a lot of people (possibly agoraphobic), does drink and smoke heavily, tends to sleep around with prostitutes...along with a lot of the things you mentioned with the flashbacks and insomnia. Also, it helps that he's being trailed by a Pleiadian assassin.

The reason why I ask this is because I don't want people to accuse me of not really knowing what I'm writing about, despite all the research I put into it.

I sort of have an inkling from experience (i have anxiety disorder), but it doesn't seem as relatable.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Hey, I was just thinking. I don't know where you live. But, if you are serious about this and you live in the US, you may want to take an afternoon to visit your local VA hospital. There are tons of us there everyday and most are more than willing to share their story with you. It is one thing for someone to type something on a forum somewhere, it is a whole different monster to sit and look someone in the eyes and hear their story.
edit on 10/14/2012 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I know there's a VA hospital in either Mad City or Milwaukee abouts. I could ask a former army friend of mine if I can speak with him or have him drive me down one day.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh

I know there's a VA hospital in either Mad City or Milwaukee abouts. I could ask a former army friend of mine if I can speak with him or have him drive me down one day.

This may help. VA locations
2nd

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Again, thanks for the help!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So I happened upon the movie, Jacob's Ladder.

It has Tim Robbins as a Nam vet. I know it's not as good as actually talking to an actual person, but it does give me a bit of a hint at how flashbacks work.

Thoughts?
edit on 15-10-2012 by TheToastmanCometh because: unfinished thought

new topics

top topics

join