It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: High Court Orders Review of Texas House Seats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
In a move that has huge implications on the future of the balance of power in the House of Representatives, the Supreme Court has ordered a lower court to reconsider political districts in Texas. The battle over the issue became so raucous that the Democrats actually went to Oklahoma in order to postpone any decisions on the matter.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Monday ordered a lower court to reconsider a Texas congressional map that could give Republicans six more seats in Congress in upcoming elections and help the GOP protect its majority

The announcement is a victory for Democrats, but will not affect next month"s elections.

Justices threw out a victory for Texas Republican legislators, who had been accused of going far to draw new congressional boundaries after two out-of-state walkouts by Democrats.

States must redraw boundaries every 10 years to reflect population shifts found during the census. Five appeals over the Texas boundary-drawing posed an interesting question: Can political leaders of a Legislature force district drawing more frequently than once a decade, to make more seats winnable for members of their party?

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The ruling is considered a victory for Texas Democrats, but will not be decided in time to impact the elections, potentially giving the Republicans 6 more seats in the House as things stand. Redistricting must occur ever ten years following the census to reflect any changes or migrations in population. The courts felt that political parties had become too involved in the decisions that had been made. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay has been reprimanded by the House Ethics Committee for his involvement in the issue.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Dems Steal GOP Playbook in House; GOP Eats it"s Own, while DeLay Ethics A-OK in Their Book

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I live in Texas and long ago grew tired and almost disgusted with this issue. I'm going to bite my tongue on this subject, because anything that I post will make me appear to be just another Republican (as I'm not) belching more partisan rants. Lets just say that... running off to another state just becasue the rules actually worked against you is shameful IMO. It looks like crying "it's not fair" over and over like a small child actually works sometimes.

edit:

"Screw you guys, I'm going home..." sound familiar?

[edit on 18-10-2004 by veritas93]

join