It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid Suspended, Interrogated by Cop For Healthy Kombucha Drink In Lunch Box

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Like someone already said, 0.5 is too much considering if that's acceptable a person could bring "non-alcoholic" beer to school.

Secondly, have you tasted kombucha? It's so disgusting that it should be a crime.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
If we are going with zero tolerance, then the students themselves are no longer allowed at school since the body creates alcohol itself.

Endogenous ethanol production is the term for alcohol produced naturally within the body. Depending on the diet and other factors, up to about one ounce of pure alcohol can be produced within the body each day. That amount equals almost two standard drinks of beer, wine or liquor.

source

I know, dumb source, but good enough for a joke.

Seriously, though, the parents should have thought better than to send him to school with that. The school should never handle a situation like this without calling the parent, though. They've gotten really out of hand with this sort of thing.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Kombucha is (usually) alcoholic... whether it's healthy for you or not I don't think even matters, does it? Red wine is also good for you, doesn't mean kids should have it at school.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Could it be that the school's actions are covered by what I saw once explained on a movie (yes, I know, not the best reference, but if you pay attention you can learn something even from Hollywood), something called "in loco parentis"? If that's the case they there was no need to call the parents to be present at the "conversation" in the VP office.

As for the alcohol in the drink, if the maker thought it was reason enough to have it on the label then I guess they also think it has enough alcohol not to be considered as a completely alcohol free drink.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Next stop, Sauerkraut. Yoghurt. Any fermented milk product.

It's not as if anyone was going to get drunk on fermented tea that tastes like unflushed toilet water. Utter nonsense. Some schools need to be shut down and education should be started anew. It's patently obvious that some people in these schools are incapable of teaching anything other than personal bias.

No wonder kids are turning out like zombies.

Makes me glad I have no kids... if I had kids, they'd be growing up with yours and yours are not being taught things properly.. My kids would have to suffer yours.

And this world has too many kids already...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Has any one thought that maybe this kid is a repeat offender at this school, and the school jumped all over him because of that. It is a separate incident from past actions, I realize that, but maybe the vp is gunning for this kid? To not call the parents was wrong. They called the police for a recorded action, but should have still had the parents there. ..the whole aa thing makes me think there have been issues before, as well has the school transfer thing. And a 5 day suspension tells me this kids been in trouble before. Usually a first time suspension is a day or two. Maybe this kids mom gave him the kombucha to clean out his alcoholic partying system that he has been getting in trouble with?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The Vice Principal in the OP is the norm for school admin staff. These people have become the standard.

The educational establishment as a vocation attracts loonies like a magnet. I'm not talking about quirky or eccentric types. I mean certifiably insane types. There was a high-ranking administrator at the public school system in my city.
This woman had a salary of $180,000, an expense account, and a new vehicle provided for her. After becoming known for her wacky antics, she developed a following of detractors who demanded she be fired.

It's almost impossible to fire people in these positions. She was finally caught using school computers to send sexually explicit emails to a boyfriend. The emails were pretty twisted. She was fired. Of course now she has a multi-million dollar lawsuit pending.

These are the people running the school systems our kids attend.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My son's locker was searched after a drug k9 hit on his locker in a school wide random search. He was pulled from class questioned and detained for 2 hours. When they searched his locker they found my dogs drool covered tennis ball in his jacket pocket. He hid it there because he had to get my dog inside so he could walk to school and didn't want to leave it on the lawn because a neighborhood dog keeps stealing it. The school called me at the end of the day to explain in their terms about this fun training exercise they had done and involved some of the students in. My 12 year old son is an exemplary child NEVER been in trouble and had a different story,and one of my best friends works at the school and backed his story. Long story short the school locker is state property and in school is not detainment or formal questioning!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Just one more reason why I'll never put my child in a govt. institution!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Does anyone read these posts thoroughly before commenting?

1) the alcohol content of the drink was 0.05% not 0.5%
2) I gather the OP was more annoyed by the lack of a parent during this day long investigation which included a police officer, whether the officer was on site or not, the parents should have been notified
3) there was obviously a cover up of certain information after the event, I.e AA, the fact the child was suspended for five days and finally threatening to send the child to another school.

Even if the child had an alcoholic drink at school, the parents should have been informed straight away and the school and police officer should have waited until he parents arrived before interrogating this child under 18.

What kind of world are we now living in when schools can "Interrigate" school children and are above the law when even a police station interview with a young person under 18 requires a parent or guardian in attendance during questioning. I think the School now needs to have an independent inquiry so this sort of fiasco does not happen again.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
So no tolerance is no tolerance, and i can get behind that. We dont want some kid showing up with a 6-pack of o'doules.

The question is, if no tolerance means the only acceptable alcohol limit is 0.0%, then this school needs to get busy banning anything above 0.0% This includes anything made with vanilla extract, dijon mustard, yogurt, sweet pickles, coke and pepsi.

And bananas and grape juice

and ..... well just about anything that can ferment!

0.05% - give me a f'n break. Are you guys voicing support for this idiotic ZT policy being real or taking the peace?
Coke and Pepsi contain traces of alcohol
edit on 14-10-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by jude11

Drinking kombucha tea may also cause adverse side effects, due to its high caffeine and sugar content, as well as its acidity and alcohol levels. In 2010, some vendors removed raw kombucha from their shelves due to alcohol content, which exceeded the limit for non-alcoholic labeling. Adverse side effects caused by kombucha tea consumption may include stomach problems, yeast infection, allergic reaction and nausea. As noted by the American Cancer Society, these reactions are especially dangerous for individuals with suppressed immunity, like cancer and AIDS patients.

According to the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, cases of contamination with anthrax and aspergillus have been linked to kombucha tea. When brewed in a ceramic pot, kombucha tea may also contain lead and cause lead poisoning.

Let's give it to our kids! Some health nuts are just plain nuts. Seriously OP find something better to get mad about.

Link

you realize that has nothing to actually DO with Kombucha...and everything to do with how its made by morons brewing it in lead paint pots...or other ways....I could cook you a steak from a rusted lead paint laced metal plate then blame the steak when you get sick...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7
Like someone already said, 0.5 is too much considering if that's acceptable a person could bring "non-alcoholic" beer to school.

Secondly, have you tasted kombucha? It's so disgusting that it should be a crime.

It's a matter of personal taste.

I Love Kombucha.

The school actions do seem a bit aggressive. I'd be interested if there is a history with this particular kid.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireDragonDan
What kind of world are we now living in when schools can "Interrigate" school children and are above the law when even a police station interview with a young person under 18 requires a parent or guardian in attendance during questioning.

Now? I think that has always been like that (at least to some extent), and worse in private schools, where they can make the rules they want.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT3
And bananas and grape juice

Do those have a sticker saying "0.05% alcohol"?

I think that if the label said "alcohol free" or "0% alcohol" they couldn't act like they did.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Kids in my school used to just mix whiskey into their coke bottles, half-half, which probably made the entire drink a 20% alcohol content.

Really now, kids aren't that dumb if the idea is to sneak alcohol in school. Dozens of kids did it and teachers rarely caught on...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I've never heard of this tea so I think i'm going to try it for myself. If I can find it.

Other than that, I hate zero tolerance policies. The only real reason they're there is so school officials don't have to think about things and to make a wise decision.

On the other side of the coin, the reason for these kinds of policies is that this is a sue happy nation and people will sue the schools for any reason they can think of.

So really it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Jordan River
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Who cares it had Alk in it. And the kid was probably brag-in all throughout the school about it.

Nope:

While it can contain 0.5% ethanol alcohol (classified as non-alcoholic), the alcohol that would be produced gets fermented into acetic acid

Classified as NON-ALCOHOLIC.

Peace

Older, more acidic, kombucha might contain 1.0% or 1.5% alcohol

While I think it's stupid, I can see what the cop was doing. And they were just doing their job.

and schools DON'T have to notify parents, until disciplinary action is taken. Questioning students is different than suspending.

Even though I think it's fine the kid had the drink,
the school officials and cop DID follow the rules.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

It should be a crime to ban other people from consuming a beverage that you don't like the taste of. It's a good thing we aren't forced to post things under our real names; you may have had to think about your words first.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Jordan River
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Who cares it had Alk in it. And the kid was probably brag-in all throughout the school about it.

Nope:

While it can contain 0.5% ethanol alcohol (classified as non-alcoholic), the alcohol that would be produced gets fermented into acetic acid

Classified as NON-ALCOHOLIC.

Peace

Older, more acidic, kombucha might contain 1.0% or 1.5% alcohol

While I think it's stupid, I can see what the cop was doing. And they were just doing their job.

and schools DON'T have to notify parents, until disciplinary action is taken. Questioning students is different than suspending.

Even though I think it's fine the kid had the drink,
the school officials and cop DID follow the rules.

So you are at work and your child is being detained and questioned by a LEO...Without your knowledge or even being notified that it's happening.

If that's ok with you then there is nothing more to say.

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join