It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid Suspended, Interrogated by Cop For Healthy Kombucha Drink In Lunch Box

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Here we have another case of authority figures over stepping their bounds. What happened to the days when a teacher or principle simply asked the kid for his/her side of a situation before going Big Brother on a child and calling in police? Or when a cop actually used common sense instead of trained reaction? This is ridiculous IMO.

www.activistpost.com...

the lunch brigade noticed a boy's glass bottle (safely inside a foam sleeve) and confiscated his healthy Kombucha beverage which is comparable to apple cider. The next day he was required to visit the Vice Principal's office where a uniformed cop was waiting there to give him the third degree.

The administration claimed the drink violated the no-drugs-and-alcohol policy. The officer wrongly told the child that Kombucha was illegal and dangerous to mix with medicines or antibiotics - then asked him if and what medications he was taking. He was interrogated and detained in the office the entire day - all the while without parental notification or representation. It gets worse . . . .

Without the parents present? This seems to be happening more and more. Why are the parents not called BEFORE the cop starts interrogations of a child?

What is Kombucha?

Kombucha is nothing more than a fermented tea with benefits of probiotics, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and more. Many say it is detoxifying, energizing, and can prevent and help with cancer. It's slightly fizzy, tart and can be fruit flavored and sweet. Many, including more restaurants, enjoy it as a healthy alternative to beer and wine with one missing element - the alcohol!

Then the VP tries to enroll him in AA? WTH?

Most outrageously, the Vice Principal told the boy that he may have to transfer out of that school and that she was looking into it. She even tried to enroll him in an alcoholics class for teens! The boy ended up spending the entire day in the school office and then was suspended for 5 days for violating the school’s drug and alcohol policy. The issue was also reported to the Newport-Mesa School District. Lest the school or the district deny the child was suspended or try to spin the story, the boy did indeed SIGN a 5 day suspension form.

So the VP just didn't think to turn to the internet and do a search on the drink before calling in the cops?

It's called Google! A quick search would have stopped this thing in its tracks.

The rest of this ridiculous story is here:
www.activistpost.com...

But I have to say again that these people have absolutely no right to interrogate any child without the parents in the room. These are our children and are not some property of the state/province that can be detained or questioned without parents in the room.

Simply another reason to support home schooling IMO. Keep your kids out of the main stream system and they lose their control.

Peace

edit on 13-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
AA? What in the world is wrong with this VP? Not notifying the parents at all thats just not right, makes me afraid to have children some day, if they are this nutty now, whats going to happen in another 10 years? I could've maybe understood if they took it from him or made him pour it into a cup for fear of the glass bottle breaking or whatnot but even then thats nazi in itself.

Seems like a moronic VP with some sort of twisted personal agenda. What do you do in this kind of case, I would want to take my child out of that school but I would hate to put the burden of having to start over at a new school on the kid.

The Officer being there was completely unnecessary, what was he there for to scare the kid straight? of being healthy?

Suspended too, so now the child has to fall behind in his studies? Idiotic.
edit on 13-10-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is the statement regarding this on the school district website:

nmusd.ca.schoolloop.com...

No disciplinary action was taken and the student was not suspended. The parents of the involved student met with the school principal to discuss and resolve any issues that resulted from Wednesday’s incident. The issue resulted from the student being in possession of a beverage called, Kombucha, a tea, which states on its label that it contains 0.05 percent alcohol. The substance came to the attention of school officials through other students who reported that a student had alcohol. Having a substance on campus containing any level of alcoholic content is a violation according to District policy. The article also references police involvement. The Newport Beach Police Department provides two full- time School Resource Officers who work with our Newport Beach and Corona del Mar campuses. Police were not called in specifically for this incident.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Seeing the need to review some of the practices regarding policies and procedures regarding discipline, the Newport-Mesa Unified School District Board of Education has requested the Superintendent to research programs that would emphasize a more nurturing approach to the discovery process and avoid overly aggressive practices when dealing with the discipline process.

I just realized they never denied the part about threatening AA etc. Maybe the above is to address that.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

Well, there ya go, Zero Tolerance is Zero Tolerance, albeit a minuscule amount of alcohol but then again you can't take a bottle of Advil to school without the risk of getting in trouble. I had figured it was alcohol free.

But yeah the AA thing was over kill, I'm sure he was suspended until the parents had a chat.
edit on 13-10-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Who cares it had Alk in it. And the kid was probably brag-in all throughout the school about it.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah

Seeing the need to review some of the practices regarding policies and procedures regarding discipline, the Newport-Mesa Unified School District Board of Education has requested the Superintendent to research programs that would emphasize a more nurturing approach to the discovery process and avoid overly aggressive practices when dealing with the discipline process.

I just realized they never denied the part about threatening AA etc. Maybe the above is to address that.

They also never denied questioning him and holding without notifying parents.

I guess not addressing certain points means it never happened?

Peace

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Who cares it had Alk in it. And the kid was probably brag-in all throughout the school about it.

Nope:

While it can contain 0.5% ethanol alcohol (classified as non-alcoholic), the alcohol that would be produced gets fermented into acetic acid

Classified as NON-ALCOHOLIC.

Peace

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
< angry mobs extinguishes torches and goes home >

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I think the appropriate thing to do would be to contact the parents, contact law enforcement/CPS or what have you and have a sit down. I have a feeling the kid was running around like an idiot pretending to get plastered off the stuff and making a scene. I think it would be fine to send that child home for the day.

This seems like more ATS fishing for govt. = bad. Some people seem hell bent on making a mountain out of a molehill. Public officials and pretend whistle blowers included.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I guess if you read between the lines, they admitted it indirectly:

The SRO was already on campus and participated in a routine discovery process.

requested the Superintendent to research programs that would emphasize a more nurturing approach to the discovery process and avoid overly aggressive practices

So, they admitted the school officers conducted the "discovery process" and that it was "overly aggressive".

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Shocking!
A kid with a kombucha drink just waltzes in to school?
AA my butt.
Hang him!

Sorry,
I just felt like being a vice principal for a moment.

How about this?
Sorry kid. It has alcohol. Throw it in the trash and go back to class. I'll be calling your folks to tell them you need something else to drink with your sack lunch.

Try sunny-D. It's tasty and alcohol free.

Nanny state morons.
Ten to one she had a quart of ny-quil in her desk.

link   
reply to post by jude11

Drinking kombucha tea may also cause adverse side effects, due to its high caffeine and sugar content, as well as its acidity and alcohol levels. In 2010, some vendors removed raw kombucha from their shelves due to alcohol content, which exceeded the limit for non-alcoholic labeling. Adverse side effects caused by kombucha tea consumption may include stomach problems, yeast infection, allergic reaction and nausea. As noted by the American Cancer Society, these reactions are especially dangerous for individuals with suppressed immunity, like cancer and AIDS patients.

According to the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, cases of contamination with anthrax and aspergillus have been linked to kombucha tea. When brewed in a ceramic pot, kombucha tea may also contain lead and cause lead poisoning.

Let's give it to our kids! Some health nuts are just plain nuts. Seriously OP find something better to get mad about.

Link

link   
I drink Kombucha all the time. The ones I drink says may contain up to .10% alcohol. Same as NyQuil. I would never let my kids take them to school for this very reason. Doing so would be asking for trouble.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I think the appropriate thing to do would have been something like - send a note home and ask the parents to please not send that drink to school anymore, because there could be some confusion about the miniscule alcohol content as labeled being interpreted as a violation of the school policy.

Although I think that a policy not making allowances for something like this is a bit overboard.

This is the issue today. Zero tolerance allows for no common sense in interpreting rules.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by jude11

Drinking kombucha tea may also cause adverse side effects, due to its high caffeine and sugar content, as well as its acidity and alcohol levels. In 2010, some vendors removed raw kombucha from their shelves due to alcohol content, which exceeded the limit for non-alcoholic labeling. Adverse side effects caused by kombucha tea consumption may include stomach problems, yeast infection, allergic reaction and nausea. As noted by the American Cancer Society, these reactions are especially dangerous for individuals with suppressed immunity, like cancer and AIDS patients.

According to the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, cases of contamination with anthrax and aspergillus have been linked to kombucha tea. When brewed in a ceramic pot, kombucha tea may also contain lead and cause lead poisoning.

Let's give it to our kids! Some health nuts are just plain nuts. Seriously OP find something better to get mad about.

Link

Are you purposely ignoring the point I made in the OP? Or are you just hell bent on the drink?

If he was carrying a bottle of JD around the issue is the same.

Detaining and questioning a child without the parents present. Trying to enroll him in AA?

Peace

edit on 13-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

This seems like more ATS fishing for govt. = bad.

Can't call it fishing when the fish just jump into the boat can you?

Peace

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Though I never heard of the drink in the OP I immediately thought about a drink that I have been drinking all my life that has had never been questioned and is nick named "childrens beer" its called Malta.

Malta (also called young beer, children's beer, or wheat soda) is a type of soft drink. It is a carbonated malt beverage, meaning it is brewed from barley, hops, and water much like beer; corn and caramel color may also be added. However, malta is non-alcoholic, and is consumed in the same way as soda or cola in its original carbonated form, and to some extent, iced tea in non-carbonated form.
In other words, malta is actually a beer that has not been fermented. It is similar in color to stout (dark brown) but is very sweet, generally described as tasting like molasses. Unlike beer, ice is often added to malta when consumed. A popular way Latin Americans sometimes drink malta is by mixing it with condensed or evaporated milk.

en.wikipedia.org...(soft_drink)

What I see is left out of that page, as there are many different brand names, like my favorite is Goya Malta, or Malta India, is that there is 0.5% ABV the exact amount as Kombuca. Go anyplace in NYC and you will see hundreds of kids drinking this.

It clearly states that there are different types of the tea that you can buy, which of course means you can get them with a higher alcohol content.

Normally, kombucha contains less than 0.5% ethanol, which classifies it as a nonalcoholic beverage.[citation needed] Older, more acidic, kombucha might contain 1.0% or 1.5% alcohol, depending on more anaerobic brewing time and higher proportions of sugar and yeast.

en.wikipedia.org...

The school in NO way had the right to do what they did. Call the parents!!! this should be the only thing that should concern the school.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
what if he had umbungo?
they drink it in the congo.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Im sorry if I misunderstood, but are you saying that this has the same amount of alcohol as Nyquil?

Just in case that's what you meant it is 25% acohol.

NyQuil has 25 percent alcohol content. The alcohol is listed as an inactive ingredient and is in NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid, NyQuil Cold & Flu Symptom Relief Plus Vitamin C, and NyQuil Cough.

www.livestrong.com...

If I misread I apologize.

Peace, NRE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join