It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mayan Calender/2012, explained by a Mayan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DonVoigt
I noticed nobody else mentioned it, but the mayan telling him this story said that he believed that the earth was a living creature, this is an opinion which I share, I have started this on various other threads that I've commented on. It arena that everyone wants to discuss the end of the world topic and skip right over the reality that the planet we live on is a living breathing creature with thoughts, feelings, memories. And it would seem to me that the topic of discussion should be how can we communicate with this living breathing creature in a real and meaningful way, think about this if the planet that we live on is a living breathing creature that sports all of our lives that learning how to communicate with that entity is the single most important achievement that anyone of us can learn to do.

Stephen King wrote a book called Insomnia where, each day the man couldn't sleep, the more things he saw come alive. There were auras he saw and one of them were fresh cut roses in a vase. Its aura was a decaying black and the roses were sobbing. To this day I can't seem to make myself buy flowers.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Your source misrepresents the measurements of the Mayans. The supposed accuracy for the length of the year as measured in days was never measured as such by the Mayans, but is a comment made in the 1930s by a researcher studying the Mayans. The Mayans never made measurements with that many digits of precision. Their work was maybe 4 digits of precision at best.

The Gregorian calendar was deemed to be accurate enough when it was implemented even though astronomers at the time were aware that ti could be made more accurate. The difference between reality and the calendar is quite small. Today leap seconds are added whenever necessary.
en.wikipedia.org...

Earlier another misrepresentation was made about this year being the end of a cycle. The start of a cycle or the end of a cycle is quite arbitrary. Any point in the cycle can be claimed as the start. The Mayans did not know about the cycle known as the precession of equinox.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Mayans knew that their astronomical tables were in error after a while and new tables had to be created. They did not know the cause or that it was part of a cycle. The ancient Greeks did figure that out. Also, the length of the axial precession cycle changes over time. The length of time to complete the cycle in the time of the Mayans is not the length of time it takes today.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Let's just agree to disagree...

Who are to say that the sources are accurate anyways. The Internet - The best step to create gullible people thus making it a potential candidate for mind control without the majority of the people even knowing it.
edit on 16-10-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I agree that most people will go about their daily lives. I have been interested in the Mayan calendar for a couple of decades (just interest, not researching) now, and in that time only one person has asked me about the Mayan calendar and the 2012 predictions. The majority of people are worried about buying the newest iPhone, work, shopping, their weekends, but nothing like what is discussed on ATS. The one person who did ask me, is of Mayan decent and seemed worried about the 2012 predictions. I showed her a website of Mayans who have studied the culture, which seemed to satisfy and clam her as it talks about the coming of a new age, not the end of the world.
edit on 16-10-2012 by yesterdaysreality because: Typo.

edit on 16-10-2012 by yesterdaysreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
Perhaps your friend might have asked this 'Mayan' how the Spanish killed all the Mayans two to three hundred years before they ever landed in the western hemisphere?

Most Mayan cities were long abandoned before the year 1000. The only people living in the land of the Mayas when the Spanish arrived were in small farming villages and the cities were already long covered by jungle.

Info
I think you are right. Wasn't it Cortez who conqured the Atez, which occured well after the fall of the Mayan empire? I found the following on answers.com: The Mayas came first and declined about 800 A.D. the Aztecs invaded a large Mesoamerican civilization and really started to flourish not until 1325.

I found this on wikipedia.org (this is only the first paragraph): The Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire was one of the most significant events in the Spanish colonization of the Americas. The invasion began in February, 1519, and was declared victorious on August 13, 1521, when a coalition army of Spanish conquistadors and Tlaxcalan warriors led by Hernán Cortés and Xicotencatl the Younger captured Tenochtitlan, the capital of the Aztec Empire.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

All I am pointing out are the misrepresentations of the situation.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join