Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Mayan Calender/2012, explained by a Mayan

page: 2
10
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
No offense but that guy's an idiot considering the Mayan civilization ceased to exist well before 1492. It was the Aztecs that the Spanish destroyed.




posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by TheProphetMark
 



As a matter of fact, the Mayans predicted it closest even with all the technology we have today.


No they didn't. Like every other ancient culture with a solar calendar they measured years in 365 day cycles. Every few years they had to recall rate their calendar because the months started falling outside the appropriate season.


I have a lot of respect for you. You're one of the best debunkers for this topic around because you seem to know your material. Forgive me if I'm beginning to forget a lot of information because it's been awhile since I've researched this topic but I have done so, on and off for 10 years or more. So as a reply to your message, I'm just going to say this;

A normal year is defined as 365 days. However, if you measure the exact amount of time it takes for the Earth to orbit the sun, the number is actually 365.242199 days (according to Encyclopedia Britannica).

Source

Although there were only 365 days in the Haab year, the Mayas were aware that a year is slightly longer than 365 days, and in fact, many of the month-names are associated with the seasons; Yaxkin, for example, means "new or strong sun" and, at the beginning of the Long Count, 1 Yaxkin was the day after the winter solstice, when the sun starts to shine for a longer period of time and higher in the sky. When the Long Count was put into motion, it was started at 7.13.0.0.0, and 0 Yaxkin corresponded with Midwinter Day, as it did at 13.0.0.0.0 back in 3114 B.C.E. The available evidence indicates that the Mayas estimated that a 365-day year precessed through all the seasons twice in 7.13.0.0.0 or 1,101,600 days.

We can therefore derive a value for the Mayan estimate of the year by dividing 1,101,600 by 365, subtracting 2, and taking that number and dividing 1,101,600 by the result, which gives us an answer of 365.242036 days, which is slightly more accurate than the 365.2425 days of the Gregorian calendar.

Source

Real number 365.242199..

Mayan's number 365.242036

Not to far off for the Mayans especially when you think about when they came up with that number compared to today because of our level of technology.

I think I'll start researching into it again, but honestly because of you I stopped believing the World would end but I still believe something might happen only problem is I don't know what that will be. I really can't wait till Decemeber 21, 2012/Decemeber 23, 2012 to come and go so this madness can finally be done and over with because I've wasted way too much time and energy on this subject of which I could have put to better use. It's a facinating topic, there's no denying that.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
if the spanish killed them all, how can he claim to be a mayan ?

you can't take this stuff seriously

the mayans also believed mankind was literally. I mean literally made of

mud
wood
amber

so yeah, the calendar thing is no biggie



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
now explained by me :

in 2 months the big 26000 yrs cycle will end
Age of Pisces will be over (the last cycle of 12 cycles)
then a new 26k cycle will start with the Age of Aquarius !
1 cycle is apx 2000 yrs but the Pisces cycle is the shortest one of all cycles

edit on 10/13/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)


That is exactly it. The long count calender. It all starts over. What is amazing is that they knew all of this and could make the calender.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bintim

Originally posted by Ben81
now explained by me :

in 2 months the big 26000 yrs cycle will end
Age of Pisces will be over (the last cycle of 12 cycles)
then a new 26k cycle will start with the Age of Aquarius !
1 cycle is apx 2000 yrs but the Pisces cycle is the shortest one of all cycles

edit on 10/13/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)


That is exactly it. The long count calender. It all starts over. What is amazing is that they knew all of this and could make the calender.

The Long Count was 5125.36 years. Mayan cycles had nothing to do with astrological ages. Nothing at all.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo
 


You should watch this:



It answered some of my questions.
edit on 14-10-2012 by MoneyIsWorthless because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Drala
 


Correct me if I am wrong, but Orions twin is named Par 1802 not Ophiuchus.
Ophiuchus is located opposite Orion in the sky.
Ophiuchus is depicted as a man grasping a serpent.
I punched both Par 1802 and Ophiuchus into Stellarium and they are opposite from eachother.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I have a feeling that the cabal/illuminati/whatever have placed a focus on the Mayan Calendar as part of a psychological experiment.

At first I thought perhaps there was something to the Mayan Calendar but I realise now that it is a beautiful artefact from a creative and advanced civilisation. They seemed to know about science and nature with regard to the stars and their movements and how that impacted on seasons and growing food etcetera.

Perhaps it is as uncomplicated as - it is the end of a cycle and the beginning of a new cycle. The calendar and 365 days does not fit for me as I have learned that the Catholic Church changed the calendar to suit their needs a long time ago. I don't recall but I don't think the year was not quite so long and is in fact shorter than the year we currently call our calendar.

Then there is the theory that time is an intrusion into our Spirituality and that is a concept placed upon us as a burden. The time system of minutes and hours is all about working for the dollar and paying taxes - nothing more nothing less.

Just sharing my thoughts from having read many articles and applying my own intellect to what I have absorbed.

Much Peace...



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana
 


You make a point, but where you there? Where those scientist there when they were gone? No, so without witnesses we won't actually know for sure. Maybe the're rite, maybe they're wrong



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

you can't take this stuff seriously

the mayans also believed mankind was literally. I mean literally made of

mud
wood
amber

so yeah, the calendar thing is no biggie



Could be their own interpretation of the holy trinity perhaps. They understood and interpreted creation from their surroundings and turned them into metaphoricle stories to pass down through the generations.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I noticed nobody else mentioned it, but the mayan telling him this story said that he believed that the earth was a living creature, this is an opinion which I share, I have started this on various other threads that I've commented on. It arena that everyone wants to discuss the end of the world topic and skip right over the reality that the planet we live on is a living breathing creature with thoughts, feelings, memories. And it would seem to me that the topic of discussion should be how can we communicate with this living breathing creature in a real and meaningful way, think about this if the planet that we live on is a living breathing creature that sports all of our lives that learning how to communicate with that entity is the single most important achievement that anyone of us can learn to do.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It is refreshing to see most those posting here are not claiming that the world will end on Dec 21, 2012; and is just the end of a cycle. My only question is will there be any effects as a result of moving to the other side of the galactic plane of our galaxy the Milky Way? Likely it will not have any effect, based on any lack of evidence so far as we progress. However only the actual experience will answer that question in absolute certainty. Keep in mind that we do not know the exact moment that will occur, it is a gradual but continious crossing of a large expanse of space.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
I have a feeling that the cabal/illuminati/whatever have placed a focus on the Mayan Calendar as part of a psychological experiment.

At first I thought perhaps there was something to the Mayan Calendar but I realise now that it is a beautiful artefact from a creative and advanced civilisation. They seemed to know about science and nature with regard to the stars and their movements and how that impacted on seasons and growing food etcetera.

Perhaps it is as uncomplicated as - it is the end of a cycle and the beginning of a new cycle. The calendar and 365 days does not fit for me as I have learned that the Catholic Church changed the calendar to suit their needs a long time ago. I don't recall but I don't think the year was not quite so long and is in fact shorter than the year we currently call our calendar.

Then there is the theory that time is an intrusion into our Spirituality and that is a concept placed upon us as a burden. The time system of minutes and hours is all about working for the dollar and paying taxes - nothing more nothing less.

Just sharing my thoughts from having read many articles and applying my own intellect to what I have absorbed.

Much Peace...





It's rather funny you mention that. I had the same feeling last night, thinking that Decemeber 21, 2012 could be used as a potential false flag to bring on the NWO. With all the hype and how widely spread it is, who wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity not to mention it will also have their work cut out for them making it a lot easier to accomplish whatever their agenda may be.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kuroodo

I'm not expecting the world to end in 2012. But what i do know is that on December 21st, chaos will be global. Massive suicides and people going insane because they think the world will end on that date. Maybe the Earth got hurt, and its healing.... all these weird events are part of the healing process of the Earth.

There will be the odd suicide by the mentally deranged and those in cults. But the vast vast majority of people in the western world will be rushing around doing last minute christmas shopping. The vast majority of non christians in the middle and far east will be doing what they normally do.


This is my prediction for dec 21. Absolutely nothing will happen except for some agitated "followers" of the conspiracy being interviewed for TV.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink
 





Correct me if I am wrong but... Its my understanding that the Myan's didn't make a "Prediction" of any kind regarding 2012 or the end of the world.


The "end of the world" prediction comes from the Mayan, but only in the way of an assumption. The end of every other age was met with a great catastrophe and the humans/beings all died, so that new life could be made. (this is not a word for word history lesson, just trying to remember the story)

Anyway the assumption is that the end of this "age" will bring about a great catastrophe as well. The truth is any one of a number things can happen.

#1 Nothing
#2 A great catastrophe that kills off 99% if not all humans.
#3 The world "as we know it" will end.
#4 Aliens.
#5 A cure for AIDS and Cancer.
#6 Something that will not be noticed at first.
#7 Anything you can think of.


So let us set the date for an all out "End Of The World Party" and just enjoy the "mysterious Mayan calender" for now.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoneyIsWorthless
reply to post by Kuroodo
 


You should watch this:



It answered some of my questions.
edit on 14-10-2012 by MoneyIsWorthless because: (no reason given)


Most excellent video. Best one I've seen about the true Mayan culture and the true Mayan Prophesis.

It answered all the questions for me, now I finally understand.

Thank you for sharing this.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo
 

The day the Mayan calender stopped, was the day there world ended, and not the actual world. The concept of time comes and goes, its not something that is one solid constant thing, it just is something that people create to suit there needs, that's all it really is. And so the actual world went on and will always go on.

And so it will be for this civilization eventually, and just like them so to will this age, world, or whatever you want to call it that you are experiencing right now end, but the actual world this planet we call earth will go ever on. In the beginning there was the great mother, she came before, and she will remain after. Everything else is merely transitory, shadows in the background in strange shapes reflecting upon the wall, flickering on and off with the light of the fire that casts them. But once the fire goes out, it will be as if they never existed.
edit on 14-10-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by ShadowLink
 





Correct me if I am wrong but... Its my understanding that the Myan's didn't make a "Prediction" of any kind regarding 2012 or the end of the world.


The "end of the world" prediction comes from the Mayan, but only in the way of an assumption. The end of every other age was met with a great catastrophe and the humans/beings all died, so that new life could be made. (this is not a word for word history lesson, just trying to remember the story)

Anyway the assumption is that the end of this "age" will bring about a great catastrophe as well. The truth is any one of a number things can happen.

#1 Nothing
#2 A great catastrophe that kills off 99% if not all humans.
#3 The world "as we know it" will end.
#4 Aliens.
#5 A cure for AIDS and Cancer.
#6 Something that will not be noticed at first.
#7 Anything you can think of.


So let us set the date for an all out "End Of The World Party" and just enjoy the "mysterious Mayan calender" for now.


That's my plan. Use it as an excuse to have a hell of a party. The only thing I expect to happen is waking up with a terrible hang over on the 22. Other than that, it'll be just another day.



posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kuroodo
reply to post by Montana
 


You make a point, but where you there? Where those scientist there when they were gone? No, so without witnesses we won't actually know for sure. Maybe the're rite, maybe they're wrong


Oh my lord! You really went there?

A "Pics or it didn't happen" in a thread about pre-columbian Central American dead civs. There has to be some award for that! This whole thing has been really well researched, and while no one is saying they know the end came on the third Thursday of May in the year 1011 at 9:15 am, the general time line is well understood. The Mayan civ was well gone before the Spaniards came on the scene.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo
 





"No. The world will not end. We stopped making the calender because the Spaniards came in and killed us all."

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble but the world will NEVER end. End of the world is a myth a scary story that people tell their children at night to keep them good..."The world could end tomorrow so you better be a good little boy".

It's all crap, even if a huge asteroid hit the earth. It would not be the end. Mother earth has been around for a really long time and shes still kicking and will continue to kick when our great great great great grandkids are dead from old age.

Mayans didn't stop their calandar because they got "killed' that's ridiculous. They ended it there for a reason because the new AGE begins. They believed that when this happens we will become more intelligent and aware of things we never knew existed.






top topics



 
10
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join