Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

How To Retrofit The First Law Of Robotics

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
when we think of robots, we imagine they will have arms and legs and will wash our dishes,
Eben Moglen on "how to retrofit ethics into hardware and software (robot) you have in your pocket.

video at following link

archive.org...

very well presented talk by a professor about how the science fiction writers of the past were right about our future with robots. do our robots hurt us or help us,
well a bit of both.

i suggest watching this for anyone interested in science fiction, internet technologies or robotics

enjoy

xploder

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

He makes some interesting and valid points. I didn't have time to watch all of it, but I marked it to finish it later.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I've just got done watching the whole speech. He's a good speaker and he's hilarious,
and even though I'm not too familiar with robotics I enjoyed it.
edit on 13-10-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Very fascinating! This is the first time I have heard this speaker. And I very much agree with the contents of what is being said here. This is but the tip of a great ice burg. Many shows, and things floating around have connected to what he is saying. One for instance comes to mind, futurerama . A couple of the newer ones just put out, if you know the episodes you will make the connection instantly. Such as giving free will to a robot. Such as being able to overclock a system you bought and paid for once.
I highly recommend this video.. Thank you for posting this.

There is so much to be said about GPL3, and the likes of companies prohibiting us as "owners" and users to make these safer in the sense which is being talked about here.
I for one have a great love of code, and binary, the ins and outs of hexadecimal and taking things apart as to better understand the code they inject to protect and block me from making changes.
Tho with enough work and time, these codes can be bypassed by other code. I won't get to far into the details on that, but its all part of the retrofit. And its all very fascinating to me, and any other would be ROM/emulator junkies out here. That is but a scratch on the surface of the true nature of this topic.
edit on 13-10-2012 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
when we think of robots, we imagine they will have arms and legs and will wash our dishes,
Eben Moglen on "how to retrofit ethics into hardware and software (robot) you have in your pocket.

When listening and understanding this, it has really opened my eyes. Even as a sci fi fan, and code junkie. I never took the step back to see robots in this manner. I really just saw it all as software, encased within hardware devices that fit into your pocket. However this software connects to the cloud, which I never trusted and have mixed feelings about still to this day. Further more, I have little trust in places such as carbonite or other data storage servers taking your personal information and "safely" storing it on their servers.
I have always felt backing up your files should be on the user end. Where you have physical control of where your data is being stored.
These robots we walk around with in essence he is talking about are location beacons, and tracking our movements, and reporting back to other robots everything we say, everywhere we go. With this kind of information at our fingertips, in essence these robots are answering our questions, and doing most of our thinking for us now.

I also like how he references the undead to the likeness of what we are manifesting. Making the undead a beautiful thing. And how easy it is now a days to get people to invite that Vampire Lord into your homes willingly.

Thread video
I felt it was in order for me to reply again as my edit button expired.
Well worth the 50 mins of my time.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
reply to post by XPLodER

Very fascinating! This is the first time I have heard this speaker. And I very much agree with the contents of what is being said here. This is but the tip of a great ice burg. Many shows, and things floating around have connected to what he is saying. One for instance comes to mind, futurerama . A couple of the newer ones just put out, if you know the episodes you will make the connection instantly. Such as giving free will to a robot. Such as being able to overclock a system you bought and paid for once.
I highly recommend this video.. Thank you for posting this.

he makes some very good arguments,
and it does make you think......
where is the first law in our current systems?

There is so much to be said about GPL3, and the likes of companies prohibiting us as "owners" and users to make these safer in the sense which is being talked about here.

i trust the owners to know whats good for them, and that includes alternatives, after all THEY are the consumers

I for one have a great love of code, and binary, the ins and outs of hexadecimal and taking things apart as to better understand the code they inject to protect and block me from making changes.
Tho with enough work and time, these codes can be bypassed by other code. I won't get to far into the details on that, but its all part of the retrofit. And its all very fascinating to me, and any other would be ROM/emulator junkies out here. That is but a scratch on the surface of the true nature of this topic.
edit on 13-10-2012 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

remember to embed the first law in your designs and innovation at a base level,
protect the user.

xploder

top topics

join

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def