Scientists to simulate human brain inside a supercomputer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Scientists to simulate human brain inside a supercomputer

edition.cnn.com

(CNN) -- There's no escaping the fact that the Human Brain Project, with its billion-dollar plan to recreate the human mind inside a supercomputer, sounds like a science fiction nightmare.
Scientists at its forerunner, the Switzerland-based Blue Brain Project, have been working since 2005 to feed a computer with vast quantities of data and algorithms produced from studying tiny slivers of rodent gray matter.

location of synapses in the neocortex, effectively mapping
(visit the link for the full news article)

[Snipped]
edit on 22/10/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Very interesting that Switzerland (i.e. the CERN people) have been working the hardest on this "quantum mechanical brain" project.

I've tried to make links between the MMORPG world and this project, to no avail, even in spite of the recent rumors involving James Holmes and other young men who were active in the online world.

I don't believe the claims in the CNN story about "being so far away" from creating a mechanical prototype brain that functions at least as well as a human brain, or many times better, since a computer can be any size as long as you can keep it cool.

The miracle of living death.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: There would be no reason for them to admit or imply that HUMAN brain cells, easily obtainable, have been used in such research. But then again, rat brains are not much different at all than ours -- poor rats.
edit on 13-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Very bizarre and philosophically confounding. Try viewing such a thing from the perspective of the created artificial intelligence/sentience; it will come into existence spontaneously and be fed 'enormous amounts of information'. Relative to the simulation, all of time before its beginning amounts to nothing. From that point only everything after matters.

This is similar to humans, except we were born as babies with so many years to grow and develop. Via experience of direct sensory stimulation & other psychological, biochemical factors. For a brain living inside a computer it's hard to imagine what it perceives, how it does, and whether or not it will feel things similar to how biological organisms do. Perhaps if you place it inside a simulation where all those functions are emulated...
edit on 13-10-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

There's no escaping the fact that the Human Brain Project, with its billion-dollar plan to recreate the human mind inside a supercomputer, sounds like a science fiction nightmare.

More like a scientific dream come true for me!!

Sooner we can do this the sooner we can upload our minds to a different vessel and extend our lives and immunize from disease. I am ALL for it

Battlestar Galactica here we come

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

There's no escaping the fact that the Human Brain Project, with its billion-dollar plan to recreate the human mind inside a supercomputer, sounds like a science fiction nightmare.

More like a scientific dream come true for me!!

Sooner we can do this the sooner we can upload our minds to a different vessel and extend our lives and immunize from disease. I am ALL for it

Battlestar Galactica here we come

I truly think that after a period of existent in virtual reality, you will begin to miss the human/spiritual part. Who really wants to life forever?
I think it will drive any man to the brink of madness or at the very least, remove all human feelings as time passes on. Emotions, moral and so fourth will no longer be logical for a being in that state.
edit on 13-10-2012 by mc4denmark because: just some typos

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Yea if you'd like to take the risk of being literally hacked, controlled, deleted, &/or placed into a virtual environment on the whim of external entities. Imagine if somebody wanted to cause you harm or torment, whether for vengeful reasons or just because they're sadistic -- and you end up in a virtual realm of torture. One in which your escape is dependent on the inflicter.

In the case of uploading or transferring minds to a digital/mechanical medium, there would have to be stringent security measures in place that disallow anything like this from ever happening. Even then it would be a risk.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

Yea if you'd like to take the risk of being literally hacked, controlled, deleted, &/or placed into a virtual environment on the whim of external entities.

There are meatspace analogs to all of those fates:

Hacked = Hypnotism
Controlled = Media
Deleted = Death
Placed In Virtual Environment = Prison

Can't be any worse than what we have now.
edit on 13-10-2012 by Cuervo because: gramer grammer grammar!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mc4denmark

I truly think that after a period of existent in virtual reality, you will begin to miss the human/spiritual part. Who really wants to life forever?

Who said anything about living forever? I didn't
Longer, youthful, disease free. I want that. Sorry if it bothers some people.

As for the human/spiritual comment. I agree. The technology needs to be advanced with that in mind
I for one do not believe it's our bodies in of them selves that make existence special. It's our minds, and that can be experienced in different bodies.

That said, I DO want this vessel to emulate the human biological computer.

I think it will drive any man to the brink of madness or at the very least, remove all human feelings as time passes on.

As we know it, I have no doubt. I wonder if consciousness advances eternally and that's how it's able to handle eternity? Constant growth and change. I have no idea. But you're right, in the state I am in right now the passing of that much time would destroy me. I can handle more than 75 years, that much I am certain.

Emotions, moral and so fourth will no longer be logical for a being in that state.

An interesting predicament for God then, no?
edit on 13-10-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
We live in a matrix anyway......the technology already exists in the real world and most people are AI sims

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

reply to post by mc4denmark

Who said anything about living forever? I didn't
Longer, youthful, disease free. I want that. Sorry if it bothers some people.

what would be done about the over population that would ensue?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Hacked = Hypnotism

Hypnotism doesn't affect everybody; certain people yes. In any case a hypnotist must approach you, or you him to even begin the process. If you were hacked, it could be from any place on the globe no matter how "isolated" you were; there would be little to no chance of fending off the attack depending on the proficiency of the hacker, etc. I can see the comparison you're making, but they're still two different playing fields.

Controlled = Media

Placed In Virtual Environment = Prison

You're interpreting things differently. I mean quite literally, regardless of whether or not you committed a crime -- you could be placed in a virtual sandbox of heinous torture, that could potentially last for as long as the 'hacker' desires. Perhaps even eternity. We can't know for sure exactly how time works in the digital medium, let-alone when merging it with a human mind. The media can definitely affect your state of mind, but I'm talking about controlling your motor functions, environment, the amount of time, and directly tampering with your emulated virtual brain.

Deleted = Death

Yes this is the only one that's pretty much on the same playing field. Although it could be argued that [mass]murder could become easier, cleaner & or more efficient when done via/inside a computing system.

Can't be any worse than what we have now.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. There are definitely ways in which it could be made to be worse.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Imagine Einstein, Stephen Hawking having lived an extra 100 years in a youthful healthy state. How much more knowledge would they have gathered and shared?

Now imagine that for everyone.

Now apply that to space travel and space colonization

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Imagine Einstein, Stephen Hawking having lived an extra 100 years in a youthful healthy state. How much more knowledge would they have gathered and shared?

Now imagine that for everyone.

Now apply that to space travel and space colonization

ok,,, what do you think of transhumanism...

believe me I am all for science and technological progression,, I do think we will find answers and knowledge in the greater universe.... but im curious in regards to what can be our greater goal,,, then,, existing as entities.... of course knowing and doing,,,, knowing more and then doing more,,, but theres no end to that,,,,

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
edit on 13-10-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Your arguments seem to presuppose this Human 2.0 (if you will) some kind of internet program open to wifi hacks. Why?

Who says it won't be self-contained and Human 2.0's use iPhone 22S to access the web. The computer the human mind is uploaded to could just be a synthetic humanoid body emulating all the human biological processes. And this person would interact with the world like everyone else. How hack-able they are I suppose depends on if they are "connected to the internet" lol. No idea. All these concerns can be addressed through the advancement of technology.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Mm maybe i've missed something here but this is a highly detailed simulation or 3d map of the human brain within the supercomputer.

Nobody's saying it's a working simulation,that it's a functioning brain in it's own right.

How will it have or be concious.

That's like saying cos i'm looking at my house on google maps and in the real world it's raining then it's wet inside google maps.lol.

Maybe I've missed something,i had a quick look at the link posted but i didnt see in it that this was an attempt to create a fully functioning.independant,working brain on the supercomputer but rather the most realistic,comprehensive representation ever.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I think again you're making the assumption of the desire to live forever in this state in this physical Universe. I am not saying that, and I don't think other transhumanists are either...

It's about loving life and wanting a little more of it for ourselves and everyone else. Am I interested in the transcendent? Yes. Am I interested in the afterlife. Yes. Do I want to live longer just in case there isn't one? Yes.

No matter what there is a good chance this physical Universe isn't eternal. So even if there were some 'toasters' wanting to live literally forever, they wouldn't get that wish.

Most people when asked about this reject it. You should play with this though. It's interesting. Start asking people in conversation how long they would want to live. Most will say 80-100. Why? Because people know that's when the body gets old and diseased. In fact many will mention that when they respond. Now introduce the idea of "oh well lets say you can stop your aging at the age of your choice. Now much longer?". Most people in my experience will respond with 100-300 years. Something to consider

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KhufuKeplerTriangle

Your mind is not a computer; it is a response-tool keyed to whatever your senses display. Opening the senses requires an idealism, seeking the questions that form the best images. No one appears capable of completely removing themselves from the binding absolute, yet we are warned against absolutes. Everything you do, everything you sense and say is experiment. No deduction is final. Induction bounces within and you sensitize yourself to it. Deduction conveys illusions of absolutes.

wont work. IMO they'll at best create a virtual brain limited by a GI/GO paradigm
of course they'll then try to reverse engineer human brains using this as a template.

foolishness, wanting to become a part of a machine
edit on 13-10-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed vid
edit on 13-10-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The irony being we created computers from out minds, and now we are trying to simulate it (or rather the platform on which the mind is presented, the brain).

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Sounds like the biblical description of Hades to me. Maybe it is hapening already?

Perhaps the universe is a huge organic computer that evolved? Just like humans are also. That's an interesting way to look at life. So when we create organic computer chips, are we creating life?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join