It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi911
This is just another kind of divide and rule.

I quickly glanced over how they did this research. Seems they measured students on a IQ test and then saw that the average was lowest for blacks and highest for chinese. I mean seriously? There is like a world of difference between the culture of all three than would explain this difference simply from how much the person is motivated to read and study things.

If you simply did this test in another country than United States, it would show a completely different picture, guaranteed. Because the culture is very different. Do it in South Africa, Holland, Sweden, Germany, Russia and China and see what happens.

Im kind of sad to see how the results of these tests are later used all over the Internet as being fact. Humans are just so stupid sometimes.

edit on 14-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

Actually test like this were done in numerous countries around the world. And guess what? They pretty much all came out with the same results.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

What part are you disagreeing with? The height claim or the claim that the genetics of a given race to play into performance?

Not the claim of height but the claim that "blacks are better with speed and jumping based sports"

I believe that the differences come because of culture/sub-culture, socio-economic and other issues and NOT race. If all factors were equal EXCEPT for race, you would not see much differences.

I don't agree at all, things like culture are part of race and a result of it. The idea that socio-economic factors contribute to IQ has been debunked.

According to the report of a 1996 APA task force regarding the US gaps, socioeconomic status (SES) cannot account for all the observed racial-ethnic group differences in IQ. Their first reason for this conclusion is that the black-white test score gap is not eliminated when individuals and groups are matched on SES.

Sub-cultures are groups within cultures that separate them from the larger group from which they belong, so I don't see how a smaller group with the larger one would account for such a large gap between Asians and blacks.

All the data is there and it is what it is, tests like this have been carried out time and time again and they all show the same thing. People need to just accept it and understand that these are averages and in no way a representation of an individual. That is to say an Asian man is not automatically smarter than a black man its just statistically more probable. Facts and statistics are not racist, only they way they are discussed and disseminated.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

I'm going to assume you don't have any kind of research results to back up those claims. The only thing that's responsible for more asians appearing "smarter" is because their culture pressures them to put more effort into school.
Not because they have the "biggest and most advanced brains". That's just a bunch of BS. If you're going to call it "reality" instead of racism you have to prove that it's reality. Otherwise you are just in fact making unsupported racist claims.
edit on 10/14/2012 by bl4ke360 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Oct 14 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
You can't get any more racist than this.

Maybe they are taking a cue from Obama who thinks blacks need special classes on how to act, how to dress, and how to speak in social settings?

Classes to become "clean and articulate" (Joe Biden quote), like he is.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360

Originally posted by Viking9019

Anyway,Asians have the biggest and most advanced brains of all the human races and blacks have the opposite.
It's not racism,but instead reality.You know,that other controversal 'r' word.
edit on 13/10/12 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

I'm going to assume you don't have any kind of research results to back up those claims. The only thing that's responsible for more asians appearing "smarter" is because their culture pressures them to put more effort into school.
Not because they have the "biggest and most advanced brains". That's just a bunch of BS. If you're going to call it "reality" instead of racism you have to prove that it's reality. Otherwise you are just in fact making unsupported racist claims.
edit on 10/14/2012 by bl4ke360 because: (no reason given)

Asians have the largest cranial capacity on the planet and blacks have among the smallest, just getting edged out by aboriginal groups. Caucasians fall in between but much closer towards Asians. Even the reproductive process is different among the females of each race to accommodate for the cranial differences. Heck even the gestation lengths are different.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Having read the article, there are many questions that come to light that are not answered.
The first is what are the current statistics on the different demographic students, then how did they come to the decisions that determined the statistics for how the demographics. There are many questions that should be asked, and answered by those in charge. But based off of the article, it would lead one to believe that there is going to be racial division in the department of education. While the goals are set, the reality is that they should be setting goals that are equal across the board for all students. After all is that not what the schools are there for, to teach and education the students, to open their minds and show that there is equality in all things? Or is this more rhetoric about how the system is failing one group or another, and this would be used to show such.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan

Asians have the largest cranial capacity on the planet and blacks have among the smallest, just getting edged out by aboriginal groups. Caucasians fall in between but much closer towards Asians. Even the reproductive process is different among the females of each race to accommodate for the cranial differences. Heck even the gestation lengths are different.

As I already said in my post, do you have any research backed sources for these claims? I could make up "facts" as well just as you did, but that doesn't mean they're true.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

As I already said in my post, do you have any research backed sources for these claims? I could make up "facts" as well just as you did, but that doesn't mean they're true.

Search engines, try em!

And if that doesn't float your boat, try learning how forensic scientist ID the race of skeletal remains.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Search engines, try em!

And if that doesn't float your boat, try learning how forensic scientist ID the race of skeletal remains.

I'm not saying different races don't have bigger skulls than others, I'm saying having a bigger skull doesn't make you any smarter. Why don't you give this a read:

There is proof that a man's brain is, on average, slightly bigger than a woman's, and at least one study of intelligence has given men a slight advantage over women, but does this mean that bigger is better when it comes to brains? Not necessarily. First of all, it is possible to argue with the method and findings of the intelligence test (and of intelligence tests in general), and second, overall brain size may not be a useful measure. Albert Einstein, one of the greatest minds in human history, had a merely average-sized brain. But some parts of Einstein's brain, such as the inferior parietal region (connected with mathematical thinking), were larger than usual. So the size of certain areas of the brain may be of more significance in gauging the potential for intelligence than the overall size of the brain as a whole. Even then, we don't know whether the enlargement of an area causes the intelligence, or if the opposite might be true, as brains develop over time: The more you use your brain (whatever its size), the better it works.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
On Thursday, the board passed another revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 70 percent of Asians to drive properly, 65 percent of Whites to have at least one Black friend, 50 percent of Hispanics to speak English, and 40 percent of Blacks to join the Military.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Ok I remember reading a bit more on a CNN article. This here article quotes the reason for the differences. In other words it will take more work and time to get certain groups up to par since they were much lower to begin with. Not saying this is right or worng, just repeating what I read.

The reason: the disparity in the current reading level. While 69% of whites reach that mark now, only 53% of Latinos and just 38% of blacks do.

cnn-analyst-defends-floridas-new-race-based-academ ic-goals

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

I agree with that paragraph. I was just kind of pointing out there is averages that the article is based upon. It's all subjective though like your post points out. Some people on the high end of the spectrum are essentially just human calculators, while at the other end social brain power is overwhelming in the arts. And one on one all of this is useless as we can fill a room with super humans of each race. But that is another problem, brain drain, which is for another topic.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Or is this more rhetoric about how the system is failing one group or another, and this would be used to show such.

The system is not really failing any specific group, to me it looks like the current system is failing all groups. The statistics in the OP are percentage of students that are reading AT or ABOVE grade level. With the lowest performing group pulling 74% it would seem that the bar for reading has been set a little low for everyone.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrlreply to post by xuenchen

So what is the root cause of their lower performance?
Culture & Surroundings. Education to many cultures around the world is Sacred regardless if it pays them a good salary or not. However this is changing with globalization in other parts of the world as well. Kids and Adults alike in many societies are wired these days to 'switch the channel' just the way they do with a Remote while watching TV when they don't like something. Many give up schools as they are difficult (inability to grasp or remember or reproduce the material). Ofcourse anyone with a good memory can recollect but critical thinking is lacking. Students often ask the question 'Am I going to be using what I'm learning in real life?'. Theories are just as important as Practicallity. When the going gets tough, the tough normally switches the major(s) or drops out. This is where Parenting and Cultural backing can help students. Most of the foreign students stick to their major regardless of the difficulties (atleast in college) where they're expected to maintain a certain GPA and also pay higher fees then the locals/residents. They just work hard and spend more time on studying then other activities. It is that simple.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
I wonder what they based all this on ?

Does anyone know what the current "Levels" are right now ?

If there is any clear "difference" between races and "performance" --- what is it ?

Do Asians already have a 90% "Level" ?

Is there a clear "proficiency" "deficiency" between racial groups ?

If so, what's the reasons ?

:shk:

I was thinking along the same lines.

This report in no way (IMO) have anything to do with equality or relations of the races. It simply shows a need to set a higher standard for education across the board. It just so happens that it shows the targets for where the state wants to be in a few years. Socio-econmic factors do play a huge part in education. So does the desire of the teacher and the student. If Florida simply added 5% to current trends and set that as a goal, how then is this wrong?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Wrong. Studies and tests from many Countries around the world show a correlation between race, IQ and test scores. Mind you, this is with many countries. Also, Tests have been done with different races and demographics and East Asians always score the highest. Prove me wrong on that, that's a dare.

It's taboo to say but I'm going to say it, It's genetics. And if you use your search engines you will find the evidence to prove it. The problem is is that we now live in a PC society. Plain and simple.

Some times the truth hurts.

ETA: I dare anyone to prove me wrong and to show legitimate sources because, if you delve deep enough you simply can't prove me wrong.

ETA: look at the crime rate amongst races in all countries and take the percentage of races in that country. You will find a disturbing correlation. I guarantee. Once again, prove me wrong.

All in all, On topic, certain races are given special privileges due to PC terms. And that is relevant to the OP.
edit on 16-10-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join