It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

Source

I always find it hypocritical how since the civil rights movement, we have more and more race based groups and policies.

The government encourages racism by promoting affirmative action. Race based groups and organizations are lauded, so long as they aren't white. Now, one state will wants to regulate academic performance based on race.

Race should not be a factor in any aspect of life other than as a consideration for medical predispositions. America should have lead the way in this issue. When will humanity realize the dream of judging a person on their character and not race?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well its sad to see crap like that still happens. I mean seriously, skin color has nothing to do with intelligence. Its like they are asking for controversy passing crap like this.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's funny how you can have race based programs but if you criticize an ethnic group or even attempt to address the differences in cultures between ethnic group you'll be called a racist.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
reply to post by cconn487

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

We are all part of the human race. At the base, everyone is the same. Diversity is a made up concept of separation.
edit on Sun Oct 14 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Racial inequality being promoted in our schools?

*shakes head*

Why not just go back to separate drinking fountains and seal the @&$^ing deal????

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
We are all part of the human race. At the base, everyone is the same. Diversity is a made up concept of separation.

Every known species has variations. Humans are no exception.

2nd.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I wonder what they based all this on ?

Does anyone know what the current "Levels" are right now ?

If there is any clear "difference" between races and "performance" --- what is it ?

Do Asians already have a 90% "Level" ?

Is there a clear "proficiency" "deficiency" between racial groups ?

If so, what's the reasons ?

:shk:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
While I understand this program makes sense on some levels I'm surprised no one had that oh crap this is a bad idea moment. Can't teach common sense I suppose.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

We should also consider environmental and societal factors when considering performance. For example, in the school distric where I work, blacks tend to be at the lower end in testing. But, those same students are also living in extreme poverty and in a culture that devalues education. So what is the root cause of their lower performance?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Look all across the board. There is definitely a correlation and it's not necessarily the environment or where they grew up. but it's taboo to discuss it so I will leave it at that.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Asians are the only group that are expected to do math better than they read (92% to 90%)?

As a guy with one of them math college thingys, those books are full of words that explain the concepts. Often times reading the chapter takes longer than doing the problems. By what magical force will that 2% grasp the concepts explained and excel without proper reading comprehension?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Yeah it is pretty crazy, almost every study done on race and accedemics comes up with the same results. Asains>Whites>Hispanics>blacks. Yet to point this out is "racist". All the civil rights movement and affirmative action have done is give segregation a new name.
But I think there is problems with the reading levels. I mean if over 50% of the lowest performing group (blacks) are still reading "above grade level" don't you think that it is time to raise the reading level a bit? I lets take all the other races out of the equation and just look at black students. 74% of them are reading above grade level, that means that only 26% are at or below grade level.
To me it seems as though the bar has been set a little low for EVERYONE

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yes, genetics does allow for differences in performance at all levels. Black people tend to be taller and perform better with speed and jumping based sports. Should the olympics be reorganized to account for those genetic based aspects? Clearly not.

With regards to education, all races have shown they are more than capable of meeting and or exceeding the expectations. No race has ever indicated that, all environmental factors being the same, they would perform poorly or less than another race in the basic academic subjects.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Yes, genetics does allow for differences in performance at all levels. Black people tend to be taller and perform better with speed and jumping based sports. Should the olympics be reorganized to account for those genetic based aspects? Clearly not.

That is just not true, im sorry it is not. but I do get what you are trying to say about the Olympics and I am in agreement on that.

With regards to education, all races have shown they are more than capable of meeting and or exceeding the expectations.

Agreed

No race has ever indicated that, all environmental factors being the same, they would perform poorly or less than another race in the basic academic subjects.

??? I think it actually shows the exact opposite. Asians perform better than whites who perform better than Hispanics who perform better than blacks.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It's insulting and backwards.

There is no reason that any normal child of any race shouldn't be able to perform in basic high school curriculum.
These are the same people that scream bloody murder about profiling but then profile kids for failure.

"That's OK kid. You don't need to pass English. We haven't achieved our quota of failures yet."

Idiots.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Perhaps the racial divisions are not as sinister as they seem.

The school board could set goals for all students to reach a certain level. (Hold back the applause.) The problem with that goal is that progress made under that goal could come under criticism. For example, let us say the school board raises overall performance by pooring resources into predominantly white schools whole neglecting the other schools. One could argue progress was not made because the other schools were neglected.

With the racial goals, the progress measured is less subject to criticism. If white and asian students exceed expectations, the goals will not have been met because the goals look to black and hispanic students as well. If all groups are meeting or exceeding expectations, one could argue that progress is being made. The schools seem be improving the quality of education for all students.

Perhaps it would be better for the school to break the students down into various socio-economic sub-groups based on factors like family income, family educational level, etcc. and monitor whether or not each sub-group is meeting its goals. The problem with this approach is easier to survey a student's race than to know how much the student's parents make, what level of educatin the parents have, etc.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
That is just not true, im sorry it is not. but I do get what you are trying to say about the Olympics and I am in agreement on that.

What part are you disagreeing with? The height claim or the claim that the genetics of a given race to play into performance?

There may be slight differences given race or ethnicity. Black American men for example are on average about .8 cm taller than white men.

Source

No race has ever indicated that, all environmental factors being the same, they would perform poorly or less than another race in the basic academic subjects.

??? I think it actually shows the exact opposite. Asians perform better than whites who perform better than Hispanics who perform better than blacks.

I agree that on average, there is better academic performance by one race over another. However, I am stating that the difference is not because of race in that case. I believe that the differences come because of culture/sub-culture, socio-economic and other issues and NOT race. If all factors were equal EXCEPT for race, you would not see much differences.
edit on 14-10-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I read all the comments on here, and while everyone has their racial views, no one is talking about the real problem, collectivism. 8% of asians could still fail math, so regardless of racial characteristics, the school thinks a certain percentage of the collective is good enough, while ultimately ignoring the individual across the board. Such a collectivist system should make you reconsider public education and hopefully give better significance to home schooling. Do you think a homeschooling parent would ever want only 75% of her children to be literate as opposed to 100%.
edit on 14-10-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This is just another kind of divide and rule.

I quickly glanced over how they did this research. Seems they measured students on a IQ test and then saw that the average was lowest for blacks and highest for chinese. I mean seriously? There is like a world of difference between the culture of all three than would explain this difference simply from how much the person is motivated to read and study things.

If you simply did this test in another country than United States, it would show a completely different picture, guaranteed. Because the culture is very different. Do it in South Africa, Holland, Sweden, Germany, Russia and China and see what happens.

Im kind of sad to see how the results of these tests are later used all over the Internet as being fact. Humans are just so stupid sometimes.

edit on 14-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join