It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did '2012' happen a long time ago?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ooahn

It is said that 2012 it is only the end of a mayan cicle.

It is true that people state this is the end of a cycle. But it is not. The calendar in question in a linear, non-cyclic calendar that simply counts days.Unlike our calendar which matches the calendar to the cycles of daylight and seasons, the counting of days is not related to a cycle of any kind.

In trying to assign dates to the bible do you realize that the bible does not match the archaeological and geological record? Many of the parts of the bible do not appear to have happened such as Noah's flood and exodus. The bible was once considered to be an historical document. That does not appear to be the case. The people assigning dates do so even though they surely must know that the dates cannot be right.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I know bible doesn't match historical events but maybe his story was written not to give an historical explanation of events, but simply to divide different cycles. I can't believe that God created hearth, loved man, give him a wife and then become irascible. Then again, out of nowhere he became good and predicate love. No way, I can't believe. So maybe differences between old and new testament were written to separate human history, maybe some kind of cycle.

This was my point, compare an hypothetical Biblical cycle with that one of Maya. You can belive Mayan is a cycle or not, this is my way of seeing things.

I consider that many religion have many common points.

We don't know what will happen, maybe Mayan 21/12 coincide with catholic doomsday. Who knows?
edit on 18-10-2012 by Ooahn because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2012 by Ooahn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ooahn

You can belive Mayan is a cycle or not, this is my way of seeing things.

The Mayans had many calendars, some cyclic, some not. The long count is not cyclic. It is not connected to any natural cycle or to any known imagined cycle. It is a linear calendar in the truest sense of the word. In a cyclic calendar 2 days can have the same date. The long count allowed the Mayans to differentiate the same date in other calendars because no two dates in the long count are the same.

This is not my idea. You can read a blog entry by a well known archaeologist on the subject of the nature of the long count calendar.
haecceities.wordpress.com...

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join