It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need assistance on making new string for longbow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I have a custom-made longbow for which I can't buy a replacement string because of it's length. When the bow is strung the string measure 55" loop to loop. I can take the bow and get it restrung at an archery shop, but that doesn't teach me how to make my own string for replacement if, in the future, I need to do so for myself. I was wondering if there is someone here who can guide in me in what equipment, etc. is needed for making replacement strings for my longbow.

Thank you in advance for any assistance on this matter.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
A company called Tandy Leather used to sell spools of sinue looking type material for stiching leather. I would bye a roll of that and experiment with twisting a few strands together to form the base of the string and then figure out a way to thread the area for your nock point and each end before the loops. This string is already waxed and may stick together quite well.
edit on 13-10-2012 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I doubt many people on here could help you with this to be honest , i find that experimenting is the best way but i suppose if you took it down to the guy , got it fixed up, and dropped a few subtle questions, he might tell you what you need to know. If not , atleast you have a longbow at 100% and you KNOW you can rely on it when TSHTF.
edit on 13-10-2012 by JeZeus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Hope these help

This site will help
edit on 13-10-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The good news is, for a longbow you dont need the EXACT string length, just make sure you make the string too long rather than too short. Make sure that all your strings threads are the same length obviously, but if you want to shorten the string to fit the longbow AND make the string sit higher, twist the string in a TIGHTENING direction and the string will shorten.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
And if you take your longbow to bass pro shops,,, the employees will NOT be able to help you (most likely).. they are paid to sell ridiculously expensive bows every new season to mid-life crisis middle class men who have more money than brains.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Contact one of your Native American reservations close by

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Just use deer guts

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

OMG! This is just what I needed. Thank you thank you. I actually did find a website that I could order replacement strings to length (in 1" increments from 42 to 64"), so I ordered two. But this is exactly the information I wanted to learn for myself for the future.

Thank you again! I knew I could count you guys.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Well, the man who gave me this bow was a master bowmaker. This was his personal bow. It has his own mark on it because he carried it himself. He gave it to me in friendship and I guess now in my life, it's probably my most treasured possession. It is the only bow he ever made from hackberry. In March of this year we went on a 5-day trip and over the course of 4 nights everything we owned of value and sentiment was stolen from us. I'm talking the brass wall-switch plates off the wall, oven mitts, my dead father's guns and his monogrammed bible. EVERYTHING....except this longbow.

They didn't see my longbow hanging in a dark room we don't use. It was hanging on the wall right in front of the door, but the light doesn't work in the room. Curiously, they did steal a hidden Winchester 30/30 from under the bed in that room, but I think they simply could not see the bow. I think it blended into the wood on the wall...thank God.

My dear friend is gone now and I didn't learn from him, what I should have learned.

The videos provided will help me a lot. It sounds like I need to just practice, practice, practice.

edit on 10-13-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Any time

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I recommend using the guts of your enemies, or just try google.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Just wanted to let those who were so helpful know that I got two replacement strings that do fit and I also got all my supplies for making new strings if the SHTF. I don't have a "Flemish device" built, but that is probably something I wouldn't want to do right now anyway. That's something that can built if and when the necessity arises, which hopefully it won't.

I can now make my string, serve it and be self-sufficient thanks to you helpful people!

top topics

join